NBA to start calling fouls on flopping next season

jamdawg1

This is just making things more complicated and it will open up a whole new can of worms, and here's why:

Next season, someone will go down legitimately and the ref will make a flopping call on him, causing outrage.

Here is a simple solution to stop flopping; if it's an obvious case of flopping, just don't call it.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

I doubt this gets called on any star players. It's still gonna be the same-ol, same-ol. I have no faith in NBA Officiating.

You said it.

I agree. And I agree with the original poster who said that the simple solution is to not call it. Now offensive fouls will be down, even legitimate ones... it's sad how much power the officials have and how often they influence games.

I doubt this gets called on any star players. It's still gonna be the same-ol, same-ol. I have no faith in NBA Officiating.

You said it.

NBA Officiating is the biggest joke in all of North American Sports.

Tim Donaghy, Joey Crawford and the Spurs, Suspicious Draft Lottery Results... No wonder so many people see the NBA as corrupt.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

The story was misreported...

Players will be FINED for flopping.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3416579

The league office has yet to determine exact fine amounts for offending flops and how fines might escalate for repeat offenders, but in-game arena observers and video reviewers will be instructed to report instances of theatrical flopping for potential punishment as part of postgame reports on officiating and other matters.

Nothing about flopping being a foul in that article.

IUe6Hvh.png

Manu is gonna need a bigger contract if fines are impossed.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The story was misreported...

Players will be FINED for flopping.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3416579

The league office has yet to determine exact fine amounts for offending flops and how fines might escalate for repeat offenders, but in-game arena observers and video reviewers will be instructed to report instances of theatrical flopping for potential punishment as part of postgame reports on officiating and other matters.

Nothing about flopping being a foul in that article.

Then it definitely won't work. See: post-lockout NHL where Divers were supposed to be fined and made public on List. Diving unfortunately still is prevalent (See: Chris Osgood) because players in a game only think about the advantage it can gain in game not what fines they could face down the road. This goes for all sports but if they want to get rid of the diving and flopping make the diving/flopping foul/ penalty harsher that the original foul/ penalty that the other team committed.

I have no faith in the league at all. Stern's on a never-ending quest to legitimize his league globally (Nice of the Chinese government to abandon NBA broadcasts recently - how's that working for you Stern?) while wholly ignoring the cracks and fissures at home.

He's fiddlin' whilst the town is up in flames. Burn baby burn .

To a non-NBA watcher, whats 'flopping'?

Taking a dive? Faking a foul? Like "simulation" in soccer?

see:

EDIT:and

Yeah...

The Spurs play at 9 EST tonight. Watch 'em play, you'll get more than enough examples. Or there's a nice YouTube clip of them against the Hornets... so many flops in just a single quarter.

IUe6Hvh.png

You obviously haven't gone to a Gladiators game yet, have you?

Nah...head to Youngstown for an af2 game instead.

I never knew holding was a nine yard penalty before I watched the af2. :blink:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You obviously haven't gone to a Gladiators game yet, have you?

Nah...head to Youngstown for an af2 game instead.

I never knew holding was a nine yard penalty before I watched the af2. :blink:

Before the Arena Football League got NFL-ized, didn't they used to have 3-yard penalties for procedure calls and 7-yard penalties for holding, amongst other strange consequences?

Archived