v4.1 National Soccer Team Sigs

Viper

No requests yet, as I will eventually redo all the national team sigs I made with the v3.x template. But for now I will start things with the sixteen teams competing in UEFA 08. First, Group A:

uefaczechcg0.pnguefaportugalht5.png

uefaswitzerlandte3.pnguefaturkeyhi7.png

CCSLC signature.png

One of the Swedish papers recently published a rather uninspiring prediction for how it will go for Sweden in round 1. Believe it or not they actually had the team advancing with the following outcomes:

Sweden v Greece - 1:1

Sweden v Spain - 1:1

Sweden v Russia - 1:1

Perhaps "Oavgjort" (the Swedish word for a draw or tie) would be more fitting than "Blågult"....

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

For the record, France should really be "Les Bleus" and not simply "Bleus." The latter is a plural adjective, while the former means "The Blues," which is the team's nickname.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I'm pretty sure the Portuguese team's nickname is "selecao".

Quinas, are the 5 shields I think.

Their full nickname is "Selecção das Quinas", but that's too long to fit on my sig. When I did my v3.x national team sigs last year, I read somewhere that it could be shortened to either "Selecção" or "Quinas". I chose "Quinas" because the Brazilian team is also called "Selecção".

Anyhoo, I've fixed that sig now, along with the ones for France, Austria and Croatia per the other comments above.

uefapolandok9.png

orly_owl.jpg

If that were an eagle and not an owl, your graphic would be perfect. (Well, almost perfect - it's missing the slash through the L.) The team nickname is actually Polish for "The Eagles".

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...
And now for some teams whose names, and nicknames, need no translation (but who, alas, also didn't qualify for UEFA 08):

uefanorthernirelandnn2.png

Nice, but it should say Norn Iron

Or "Not Brazil"

(bow) Don't get me started on Northern Irish football songs. I think we have the best songs in the world, if not the funniest.

prospects.png

vets.png

And now for some teams whose names, and nicknames, need no translation (but who, alas, also didn't qualify for UEFA 08):

uefanorthernirelandgz8.png

Nice, but it should say Norn Iron

It does now.

And here are a couple more:

csfecuadorzy4.pnguefageorgiaym5.png

CCSLC signature.png

Archived