Cubs - Padres Alts Question

cranium

While watching the Cubs-Pads game Monday night in Chicago, the announcer stated that the Padres initially were going to wear their blue tops, forcing the cubs into their road grays. He indicated that the league does not allow teams with the same color alt, blue in this case, to both wear them at the same time. Has anyone heard if this is official policy now? I was wondering if this is like forcing the Cowboys to wear blue on the road as Zambrano was pitching that night and he is well-known to prefer the blue alt. With the Padres having several recent Cubs (Maddox and Barrett) on the team, I imagined that perhaps they were trying to psych him out, which is always a possibility. The announcer went on to say that a few hours before the game the Padres switched to their home whites, which allowed Zambrano to choose the blue alt once again. I give Kaspar and Brenly credit for often discussing uniforms during the telecasts.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Yeah, you're not allowed to wear the same color as the opponents. This happened in an Astros-Diamondbacks game recently. They're two pretty distinct shades of blue, though, unlike the Sedona Red and whatever affected name the Astros give their red.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, you're not allowed to wear the same color as the opponents. This happened in an Astros-Diamondbacks game recently. They're two pretty distinct shades of blue, though, unlike the Sedona Red and whatever affected name the Astros give their red.

The Astros wear "Brick". Not even "Brick Red". Just "Brick."

I understand the policy, and, quite frankly, even if the blues are vastly different, it'd probably look really silly.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Wasn't it last year when the Royals played the Rangers with both sides wearing their royal blue alts? What happened to the policy then?

I think you're right, might have even happened the past few years.

I believe the policy is new for this year, spurred in part because of disasters like that.

I specifically remember watching that blue on blue, ranger-royal game... the only way to tell the difference in teams (at first glance) was by the home and road pants! as gothamite stated, it WAS a disaster...

while the league has mandated different unis for close-colored alternates, I feel they need to step up and NOT allow two alternates to be worn in any one game, regardless of color... the arizona-milwaukee game last night looked like a bad tuesday afternoon high school game. another example of this uniform disaster was the white sox-indian game from the other evening. the black and navy blue was too much.

the novelty of the alternate has been lost on many teams... the astros are ridiculous, while the cub alternate has been abused this year as well.

this whole phenomenon makes me appreciate the teams who do not have alternates or those who use them sparingly.

the novelty of the alternate has been lost on many teams... the astros are ridiculous, while the cub alternate has been abused this year as well.

Actually, I've been pleased with the use of the blue Cubs alt so far. As far as I can tell, Zambrano wears it both for home and road games, and the majority of the other pitchers only opt for it on the road -- and not all of them all the time. A vast improvement from where they were before the blue ban last year.

As I've said before, I'd prefer not to see it at all at home, but that's not going to happen.

Nothing wrong with wearing alts. Sure some teams happen to wear them at least 50% of the time, but there are some teams that hardly wear there alts.

Speaking of alts, still waiting to see the Twins wear their blue alts again. They have only worn the home ones twice this season and my fav the road blue alt has yet to be seen. While they did dust off the vests thanks to Livan Hernandez, I think the Twins' alts are fine. I wonder what gives!?

Nothing wrong with wearing alts. Sure some teams happen to wear them at least 50% of the time, but there are some teams that hardly wear there alts.

Speaking of alts, still waiting to see the Twins wear their blue alts again. They have only worn the home ones twice this season and my fav the road blue alt has yet to be seen. While they did dust off the vests thanks to Livan Hernandez, I think the Twins' alts are fine. I wonder what gives!?

I think those road alternates are crap, and I don't like it when a team has 2 alternates that are basically the same except for the home/road script (like the Astros as well). It's just way too many freaking jerseys. The Rangers are the worst by far, with 2 different home, 2 different road, AND the blue alternate. That's just insanity.

I think those road alternates are crap, and I don't like it when a team has 2 alternates that are basically the same except for the home/road script (like the Astros as well). It's just way too many freaking jerseys. The Rangers are the worst by far, with 2 different home, 2 different road, AND the blue alternate. That's just insanity.

I for one are hoping the Twins are wearing them in Chicago on Saturday as I am sitting at the Cell watching the Twins take care of the White Sox :)

Actually, I've been pleased with the use of the blue Cubs alt so far. As far as I can tell, Zambrano wears it both for home and road games, and the majority of the other pitchers only opt for it on the road -- and not all of them all the time. A vast improvement from where they were before the blue ban last year.

As I've said before, I'd prefer not to see it at all at home, but that's not going to happen.

I'd agree that the Cubs are doing a better job of limiting their use of the alt this year. It had certainly gotten out of hand two years ago...

Oh, and Chazberg - the Cubs were perhaps the worst offender of the "basically the same" home/road alt jersey, but slightly different trend a few years ago, when they had the blue home alt with no names on the back, and the blue road alt with names on the back. Stupid.

Moose

Archived