The Day the Music Died

charger77

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196&amp...s=topStory_main

CTV bought the rights... I totally just got sick...

Nice -- CBC blew it big time... again

First they lost the Olympics, then they lost the Grey Cup, now a big part of their HNIC broadcast. Gotta love Crown companies! I hope whoever was in charge during this time gets axed!!

HEADS SHALL ROLL!!!!!

In all honesty, I don't want my tax money going towards overpaying for the rights to a song that they play before Leaf games.

I'm fine with the song going to TSN.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196&amp...s=topStory_main

CTV bought the rights... I totally just got sick...

Nice -- CBC blew it big time... again

First they lost the Olympics, then they lost the Grey Cup, now a big part of their HNIC broadcast. Gotta love Crown companies! I hope whoever was in charge during this time gets axed!!

HEADS SHALL ROLL!!!!!

In all honesty, I don't want my tax money going towards overpaying for the rights to a song that they play before Leaf games.

I'm fine with the song going to TSN.

Yes, but I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going toward a song they play before Canucks, Oilers and Flames games...

Of course of all the networks that show Leafs games, I believe TSN shows the most... so take that for what it's worth.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

CTV has acquired the rights to the song, they'll be using it for the olympics, so that means we get to hear it every 4 years!!! Huzzah <_<

Edit: Actually I think CTV owns TSN so actual non-sarcastic huzzah!

Lesson of the day: Read the article on the previous page BEFORE posting so one doesn't sound like an r-tard. :P

It clearly says that it will be played before NHL on TSN and for the Olympics (which is stupid but w/e). And yes, CTV owns TSN these days.

I'd be fine if they spent my tax money on that song. I love hearing it before playoffs games and before all my Leafs games, its the only good part of the night when they play a crappy game (which they did for most of this year). They let the Olympics go and the Grey Cup too, the LEAST they could do is show they care about the last sports event it still shows and put money into it!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

CTV has acquired the rights to the song, they'll be using it for the olympics, so that means we get to hear it every 4 years!!! Huzzah <_<

Edit: Actually I think CTV owns TSN so actual non-sarcastic huzzah!

Lesson of the day: Read the article on the previous page BEFORE posting so one doesn't sound like an r-tard. :P

It clearly says that it will be played before NHL on TSN and for the Olympics (which is stupid but w/e). And yes, CTV owns TSN these days.

I'd be fine if they spent my tax money on that song. I love hearing it before playoffs games and before all my Leafs games, its the only good part of the night when they play a crappy game (which they did for most of this year). They let the Olympics go and the Grey Cup too, the LEAST they could do is show they care about the last sports event it still shows and put money into it!

Yah I just saw it on the internet and posted it as quick as I could, my mistake.

Hi, how are you?

Then you're not a smart taxpayer ;)

The song doesn't exactly generate any revenue for CBC. No one pays CBC's exorbitant ad rates on HNIC because of the song, so really, if it isn't going to be a producer, then let it go.

I understand tradition, the CBC is raping your childhood, TSN, blah blah blah, but the song's been around longer than Bob Cole, and if he's leaving too, then let's begin anew.

Et cetera. BTW, Sportsnet is the only station that gives a rat's about the Canucks anyway, so it's not like I hear the song 4 times a week as it stands. Unless someone calls my cell, of course, in which case, I hear it all the time.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Then you're not a smart taxpayer ;)

The song doesn't exactly generate any revenue for CBC. No one pays CBC's exorbitant ad rates on HNIC because of the song, so really, if it isn't going to be a producer, then let it go.

I understand tradition, the CBC is raping your childhood, TSN, blah blah blah, but the song's been around longer than Bob Cole, and if he's leaving too, then let's begin anew.

Et cetera. BTW, Sportsnet is the only station that gives a rat's about the Canucks anyway, so it's not like I hear the song 4 times a week as it stands. Unless someone calls my cell, of course, in which case, I hear it all the time.

No it doesn't generate much money alone for HNIC but it is part of its image which people connect with. For that reason (and yes, tradition) CBC should have tried harder to retain the rights. It would be like changing the national anthem or redoing the Star Wars theme - it just should never be changed!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The true test as to how much people will miss the song on CBC will be how many Canadians will watch Hockey Night in Canada this season compared to last season. The theme catches people's initial attention, but if the quality of the entire product isn't good enough, then people will turn away and some won't turn back no matter how great the theme is.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed watching the NBC broadcast of the Stanley Cup final more than the CBC. Maybe the CBC should stop worrying about nostalgia and start focusing on improving the quality of their broadcast.

Besides, I think the theme has been a curse to the Leafs because it's been around just as long as their Stanley Cup drought :D

I saw, I came, I left.

The true test as to how much people will miss the song on CBC will be how many Canadians will watch Hockey Night in Canada this season compared to last season. The theme catches people's initial attention, but if the quality of the entire product isn't good enough, then people will turn away and some won't turn back no matter how great the theme is.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed watching the NBC broadcast of the Stanley Cup final more than the CBC. Maybe the CBC should stop worrying about nostalgia and start focusing on improving the quality of their broadcast.

Besides, I think the theme has been a curse to the Leafs because it's been around just as long as their Stanley Cup drought :D

True say. Maybe with a new theme you'll see them take the cup this year. ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

They played the song or just the intro of it , on TSN when making the announcement. Its the old classic version of the song, plain and simple. But wow, its guna be weird listing to that not thinking im watching HNIC.

It will probably take a couple of years before I get use to it.

4kv29i.jpg

My opinion:

GOOD!

Consider this...in recent year's, the CBC played the Hockey Night in Canada theme EXACTLY ONCE per 3-6 hour broadcast, and that one time was the opening title sequence they played at exactly 7PM EST (or the nearest half hour before puck drop during a playoff game that wasn't airing in a traditional timeslot.) Admit it, if you missed the opening titles, you didn't really feel any different watching the game now, did you?

So now....CTV and TSN have a new toy to play with that Canadians, no matter how much they'll try to boycott it, will gladly come calling to. So you can be rest assured that they'll be playing it MORE THAN ONCE per 3 hour timeslot. (Never mind half the games are going to feature Chris Cuthburt and Glenn Healy in the booth, both former CBC alumni.)

This song is not going to influence my decision to watch either broadcast any more or less anyways.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The true test as to how much people will miss the song on CBC will be how many Canadians will watch Hockey Night in Canada this season compared to last season.

If Canadians haven't figured out by now that HNIC starts at a certain time on Saturday nights, and need a theme song to tell us that the Leafs are on, then we're far more Pavlovian than I ever could have thought.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

My opinion:

Consider this...in recent year's, the CBC played the Hockey Night in Canada theme EXACTLY ONCE per 3-6 hour broadcast, and that one time was the opening title sequence they played at exactly 7PM EST (or the nearest half hour before puck drop during a playoff game that wasn't airing in a traditional timeslot.)

They also played it while introducing the goalies.

The true test as to how much people will miss the song on CBC will be how many Canadians will watch Hockey Night in Canada this season compared to last season.

If Canadians haven't figured out by now that HNIC starts at a certain time on Saturday nights, and need a theme song to tell us that the Leafs are on, then we're far more Pavlovian than I ever could have thought.

Well, you can't always rely on the sun dial Lee.

I saw, I came, I left.

• 3 months later...

Bringing this from the dead, but TSN will use the Hockey Theme before each game. RDS will also use it, which means that it will be played before each Habs game this year.

And they have re-recorded it with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.

Link

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Bringing this from the dead, but TSN will use the Hockey Theme before each game. RDS will also use it, which means that it will be played before each Habs game this year.

Link

I watched that a little while ago... I was looking forward to Nickleback recording it. :(

Its nice... but its a little 'too' retro...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Link

I watched that a little while ago... I was looking forward to Nickleback recording it. :(

You're everything that's wrong with Canada.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Link

I should clarify it was a joke. :P Don't worry, I hate them as much as the next level headed Canuck... or human being...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Link

I should clarify it was a joke. :P Don't worry, I hate them as much as the next level headed Canuck... or human being...

Yeah, but you're still a Leafs fan.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived