2008 NHL Free Agents / Trades

number81

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pens site lists Satan (81) and Fedotenko (26) as keeping their numbers. I imagine #17 will stay with Sykora and Godard will change, but both are listed with 17. Cooke isnt listed yet, but Id expect him to keep 24. Same with Jane Pesonen, I see him keeping 20, though everyone here will immedately think Colby when seeing 20 for a while.

oBIgzrL.png

Toronto - (#31) Kubina or CuJo?

Here's the big question. If Sundin doesn't return woukd Kubina be permitted to take #13 like he wore in Tampa? Thus giving Joseph #31.

I'm not sure how I feel about this even if Sundin leaves.

I would hope that #13 is untouchable in Toronto after Sundin's gone.

Same, should be retired but you never know.

Well Toronto doesn't retire numbers so I would imagine 13 isn't "untouchable."

Yeah - what's that all about, Toronto?

Well first of all #5 and #6 are retired. So we do retire numbers, but that's only for players who's careers/lives ended while they were Leafs.

That being said, just because we don'ty doesn't mean we can't. This guy leads our team in all-time goals and points, OT winners, the list goes on. Other then win a cup this guys done everything you can do in a Leafs sweater, and I think he deserves a higher honour then any other Leaf thus far.

untitled-6.jpg

Here's the big question. If Sundin doesn't return woukd Kubina be permitted to take #13 like he wore in Tampa? Thus giving Joseph #31.

Well first of all #5 and #6 are retired. So we do retire numbers, but that's only for players who's careers/lives ended while they were Leafs.

That being said, just because we don'ty doesn't mean we can't. This guy leads our team in all-time goals and points, OT winners, the list goes on. Other then win a cup this guys done everything you can do in a Leafs sweater, and I think he deserves a higher honour then any other Leaf thus far.

I didn't know #5 and #6 were retired. (Add Jeff Finger (#6) to the list... )

However, not sure Sundin meets this criteria -- "The Leafs have a policy of retiring numbers only for players "who have made a significant contribution to the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club and have experienced a career-ending incident while a member of the Maple Leaf team". Barilko (whose career ended with death in a plane crash)[5] and Bailey (whose career ended with a severe head injury)[6] met the criteria. These two numbers were not officially retired until October 17, 1992. Ron Ellis received permission from Bailey, by the time of his career the Leafs' Director of Scouting, to wear number 6."

Even if they don't end up officially retiring #13, it would be very disappointing if the Leafs issued it next year (and frankly, if Kubina asked for it)... Toronto should at the very least let 5 years go by before allowing someone to take it.

Senators situation (while simpler than other clubs) has a couple of issues.

Both Auld and Gerber wore 29 last year. But since Auld wore 35 in both Vancouver, Florida and Phoenix he'll go back to that I'm sure.

Jarko Ruutu and Dean McAmmond are both listed as 37 on the team's website. And both players have been wearing it long-term. Not sure who gets it this year although McAmmond has been wearing it longer has he sported the number in Edmonton back in the early 90s. McAmmond wore 19 with Chicago when he made his NHL debut but Spezza is in possession of that now. Ruutu wore 24 in college and the A (Syracuse and Kansas City) but Volchenkov has dibs on that.

McAmmond may revert to 9 which he wore with Philly or 34 which he wore with Chicago briefly in '99. Something tells me though that Ruutu may go with 73. Just a feeling on that though.

Shean Donovan will be sticking with his 10.

(On a side note hopefully I'll have more numbers to discuss before training camp...the Sens need some D!!)

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

My bet is Marian Hossa will wear #81 in Detroit. Kirk Maltby probably won't give up his number and other than that, my bet's based only on spit and a song. What I'm sayin' here is, I got nuthin'!

I'm with you in this theory. Hossa has worn #81 in international tournaments as Satan wears #18 for those. He has even taken his brothers usual number #81 (which Marcel chose since it was his birth year and his brothers number reversed as he wore #17 prior to that) so the number has some meaning to him. I dont think Maltby will or should have to give his number up, plus I want a Hossa #81 jersey. The only other number I know of Marian wearing is #15, which was for 3 games when he was first sent down from the Senators to the Portland Winter Hawks. The Hawks were on the road and only had an extra #15 jersey so he wore that until they returned home and could get his own made up.

SEAsig.png

Rolston is taking #12 with the Devils, as Gionta has had #14 for a good long while now...

hs_070308.jpg

I think he'd prefer #12 anyway -- #14 was available last season in Minnesota?

On a related note, I'm sure Owen Nolen (Wild) will take #11 - Chris Simon is playing in Europe (Good Riddance!) and Craig Weller can keep #12 since Rolston is in NJ.

However, not sure Sundin meets this criteria -- "The Leafs have a policy of retiring numbers only for players "who have made a significant contribution to the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club and have experienced a career-ending incident while a member of the Maple Leaf team". Barilko (whose career ended with death in a plane crash)[5] and Bailey (whose career ended with a severe head injury)[6] met the criteria. These two numbers were not officially retired until October 17, 1992. Ron Ellis received permission from Bailey, by the time of his career the Leafs' Director of Scouting, to wear number 6."

Even if they don't end up officially retiring #13, it would be very disappointing if the Leafs issued it next year (and frankly, if Kubina asked for it)... Toronto should at the very least let 5 years go by before allowing someone to take it.

Man, if we were going to retire more numbers (#5 for Barilko and #6 for Ace "the original victim from a goon attack so Steve Moore didn't have it that bad" Bailey) I would have to think #1 (Bower, Broda) would be high on that list, along with #27 (Frankie M and Sittler), #7 (Timmie Horton), #14 (Dave Keon), #10 (George Armstrong) and #9 (Ted Kennedy). I'd retire any of those numbers LONG before I'd consider retiring #13. If they want to make a STRONG statement, they should retire the number of the first European super star - Bjore Salming's number 21. Any of those men should have their numbers made untouchable before more players like Jonas Hoglund or Brian Marchment stinks up the valor that goes along with wearing such a number on their jersey.

I have a feeling if Sundin does not return that no body will take #13 for awhile nor will a Captain be named for next season. Kubina may just go back to his old number with the team which was 70something if I remember correctly.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Man, if we were going to retire more numbers (#5 for Barilko and #6 for Ace "the original victim from a goon attack so Steve Moore didn't have it that bad" Bailey) I would have to think #1 (Bower, Broda) would be high on that list, along with #27 (Frankie M and Sittler), #7 (Timmie Horton), #14 (Dave Keon), #10 (George Armstrong) and #9 (Ted Kennedy). I'd retire any of those numbers LONG before I'd consider retiring #13. If they want to make a STRONG statement, they should retire the number of the first European super star - Bjore Salming's number 21. Any of those men should have their numbers made untouchable before more players like Jonas Hoglund or Brian Marchment stinks up the valor that goes along with wearing such a number on their jersey.

I have a feeling if Sundin does not return that no body will take #13 for awhile nor will a Captain be named for next season. Kubina may just go back to his old number with the team which was 70 something if I remember correctly.

untitled-6.jpg

Speaking of Steve Moore, what is his attacker (Todd Bertuzzi) going to wear in Calgary?

Both #44 (Warrener) and #4 (Vandermeer) are taken -- maybe #14?

Except I think Warrener was bought out...

Here in Western New York:

Lalime #40 (previously worn by Ndur, Black, Molloy, Krupp, and Playfair)

Rivet #52 (previously worn by Andreychuk)

Archived