OPTIMUS THREAD: APPRENTICE

GFB

Wait... so we're not using the layout from the first challenge?

Hmm? The background layout is the same. I made a template because it said that, in addition to the logos, we need to have some visual representation of how they will look on a uniform. It's a softball template that I made that will also go on the presentation layout from Task 1.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted a zip file a couple of pages back for the final presentation. It contains the layout, our logo and wordmark and the Gil Sans MT font that needs to be installed to make changes to the text. Everything is in both raster and vector, but if you need anything else give me a shout.

Ok here's an attempt at some custom numbers, just to get everyone thinking. It might have to influence the font we use for the wordmark, especially since I don't know if anyone here is any good at creating custom fonts. This is the first time I've tried it, so think of this as a simple base that we can add details to, and something to get everyone else thinking about the custom numbers.

customfont1.png

Wait... so we're not using the layout from the first challenge?

Hmm? The background layout is the same. I made a template because it said that, in addition to the logos, we need to have some visual representation of how they will look on a uniform. It's a softball template that I made that will also go on the presentation layout from Task 1.

OK, a template of a softball player. got it. My bad, I thought you meant you were making a whole new layout and not using the one we just made.

Well since you mentioned the acorn I was thinking about it and I realized that the bottom of an acorn is basically the shape of our building. So this is what I have come up with. However, I cannot draw the top (bottom of this logo) of an acorn so if anyone has any ideas how to do that, feel free. (I think it should be something like this, but simplified and more sleek).

What do you all think? (also I started with the red one but I like the all-blue better)

g8735.png

edit: or this

path8747.png

(Remember, these are without the acorn tops, which should be on the bottom of the image)

And William, I think you did a good job integrating the building top but I think a star would just be too plain, you know?

OK, it's been a BUSY day. I walked for hours in a sweltering mascot costume, then later, adjourned to the fireworks and ate my weight in free food.

So, I will make this quick. These are the individual logo assignments:

gingerbreadmann: Please take this file and make any modifications to the logo that you deem necessary. Additionally, I lost the file with the red, so if possible, replace the powder blue with the red from this set. You mentioned some shape issues which you may address if you're able, and furthermore, you should select the final wordmark if you would like to replace this one or make any changes to it. I am trusting you to brush up the primary as much as possible. (Also, if you are working in PANTONE or CMYK colors, please include those. Otherwise I will convert them later.)

williamrhys: If possible, please take jake22's secondary logo and try to clean up around the thin lines (between the layers of the star) and the points on the dome. Feel free to make any tweaks that may be needed to produce a nice, clean render.

jake22: Given the secondary that you created, try to find or devise a number set that would work well with the image.

bruschimania: Given the current primary wordmark, try to find or devise a complementary number font. The numbers should resemble a varsity serif, but they should not be the exact same thing as the wordmark. It seems as if making an original number font will be better than using an expected one, so if you can find or make something that looks like the wordmark but adjust it in some way, please do so.

lets_go_red: Using a regular varsity font similar to the one in the wordmark, try to come up with what the number outline and fill should look like. Keep in mind the royal blue background and try to use the colors here.

ShinyHubCaps: I actually have some tweaks to work out on my softball player template. I will have a total of three angles (front, back, patch side). I will also look for a number font to complement what we currently have, as well as make some adjustments to it to make it "custom" as per the rules.

Please try to work on these assignments and show your creations by Sunday, July 6, Noon EDT. I want to budget enough time to take care of any loose ends that we may have.

Good work so far, people! Let's try to put it all together and finish this off! Trust me, you want those complementary T-shirts as much as I do.

jake22: Given the secondary that you created, try to find or devise a number set that would work well with the image.

So you want me to find/make a number font for the back of the t shirt?

because if so i am horrible with fonts, i will still do it but just an FYI, but ill try

One cleaned up logo:

patch2.png

do you think that maby some blue lines between the red and the red outline would look good? kind of like mine, idk in yours it looks good but something looks 'missing'

One cleaned up logo:

patch2.png

do you think that maby some blue lines between the red and the red outline would look good? kind of like mine, idk in yours it looks good but something looks 'missing'

I like it better without the extra lines...but I would like to see what it would look like if the star was a solid red or if the blue was white.

brewerssig.jpg

First thing is first. Obviously, I have been missing from this assignment- I've been on a much needed week long vacation. Honestly, I am not happy that this contest has a one week deadline when the last was a few days longer. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk now, though.

It looks like majority of the graphic work has been done although while reading through the thread I certainly had some ideas.

I guess I will just chime in why my opinion on what I have seen thus far. First, I wish ShinyHubCaps' sketch would have been expanded on a bit more. I liked the style of it a lot although the A intertwined in the star is a bit over the top and forced. When he vectorized it, I became less of a fan...mainly because I pictured it more bold looking instead of an "official" look.

Anyhow, I saw William's latest concept above and liked it most. The update with the beveled star just doesn't do it for me. It seems forced as well just to add something. Plus, I see more of the state flag with just the 3 section-colored star and it looks cleaner. What NEEDS to be edited though is the top of the state house/capitol. The blue shouldn't intersect the white areas/dots/top of the building just as it doesn't with the rest of it.

Also, has there been a wordmark introduced? I haven't seen anything in the thread yet, or anything that flows with the above logo concept anyhow.

What is left to be done/designed?

Again, sorry for being MIA the past week but I have been on vacation and posted a note of that in the main thread- this challenge is very interesting and I wish I could have been more involved so far...the deadline is Monday so I guess I would only have tomorrow to work on anything- but I will certainly have the downtime if anything is left.

End of day report... it's mostly me answering questions.

First off, I'd like to tell everyone that you're doing very well and with the deadline drawing near, we are in good position to put together a quality package. I have given some assignments as to what needs to be done, but if you have any more last-second suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Should I still try to polish the acorn as well or is that a definite no?

I was planning on using the star logo. I suppose you could work on the acorn as well, and if it turns out better than the star, it may find its way on there. I'd like the primary stuff above all, but I think the acorn was a good idea and if you'd like to work on it, feel free to do so.

Now I look at it, do you want me to redraw the dome itself, for the wordmark and the patch? Some of the lines are starting to look pretty pixelated, not really a clean vector.

The patch looks a little more pixelated than the wordmark, but I'd say they're both servicable. You can redraw the patch if you think it's necessary. I can take it any time before Monday in the deadline time (EDT), and I'll take it any way that you're satisfied with it.

Here are the numbers...simple enough but it definitely works the best. The Colonel Sanders guy was ok but nothing compared to william's idea with jakes addition.

numbers.png

I think that will work great. Even if we change the mark a bit, the outline and fill are simple and effective. Good work.

So you want me to find/make a number font for the back of the t shirt?

because if so i am horrible with fonts, i will still do it but just an FYI, but ill try

Yes, it would just be a number font that complements the logo that you and William made. At this point you can probably just look at fonts and post your findings because we still have time to customize it. That is, unless you want to draw one yourself. We already have a couple of good ones, and I just wanted to see your take on it.

Also, has there been a wordmark introduced? I haven't seen anything in the thread yet, or anything that flows with the above logo concept anyhow.

What is left to be done/designed?

Again, sorry for being MIA the past week but I have been on vacation and posted a note of that in the main thread- this challenge is very interesting and I wish I could have been more involved so far...the deadline is Monday so I guess I would only have tomorrow to work on anything- but I will certainly have the downtime if anything is left.

Glad to see you back. The wordmark and the primary logo are one in the same. However, the actual lettering on the logo has not been confirmed, so while I assigned that portion to GBM as part of a general "logo cleanup," you may try your hand at it as well.

For all you need to know, look at the post where I gave out the cleanup assignments. There is also a file with the Illustrator extension here. Of course, any contribution will be very much appreciated. We're expecting the font to be like a varsity-style with serifs, but if there is a more particular font you'd like to see in the wordmark or any changes that you feel would help, I'd love to see them.

So wait...one of the star logos above isn't going to be the primary?

The star would actually be the secondary logo. The wordmark is the one with the entire top of the building with the text and no star... it's a little tricky. The components are as follows:

-colors

-wordmark (We have a combined logo-wordmark since this is a T-shirt and we can afford to go bold)

-sleeve patch (This is the "secondary," which we decided would just be an image with no text, which will be one of the star logos)

-numbers

-representation of the uniform (Template)

And here is the template I made for the representation of our logos on a uniform (front, back, and side/"sleeve patch" views):

SoftballAllPlayers.png

I hope that answers your question.

Archived