OPTIMUS THREAD: APPRENTICE

GFB

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WordmarkConfig1.png

10.5 hours... If I catch anyone online, please comment on this.

Pros:

+ We need a mark that says "North State" AND "Senators."

+ This is, like Cola's idea, simplifying the mark and reducing the redundant elements between the text and the patch.

+ This also utilizes a font suggested by GBM, and it appears to avoid the printing errors that Mac had mentioned.

Cons:

- It is a little off-center, which I will fix.

- The inlets on the side of each "S" need to be fixed.

Comments? Ways to improve?

Fair enough. My main concern with the other mark is how it looks on a jersey:

TypeA.png

Additionally, there were the alterations that you mentioned, and I'm having the hardest time implementing them here and still keeping the structure. I suppose they both look good with the numbers.

On the plus side, I finally got a (mostly) clean render of the red:

PrimaryLarge.png

EDIT: Here is how the new one looks on a jersey.

TypeB.png

I see what you mean but I'd like to see it lower first.

TypeA3.png

Actually, that looks better. It also looks better larger, but this is the most convenient size for the layout we have.

EDIT: Here's a better one. It's larger and with an aluminum bat.

I think we could go even lower, similar to where an MLB wordmark is located on a jersey, and smaller even. I don't think it shuold be too overpowering. Like here (I'm mainly looking at the distance between the collar and the top of the logo)

Also, William, I know you'll be up soon and I'd appreciate if you at least tried some of the things I mentioned cause we don't have much time left. Thanks.

I think we could go even lower, similar to where an MLB wordmark is located on a jersey, and smaller even. I don't think it shuold be too overpowering.

Also, William, I know you'll be up soon and I'd appreciate if you at least tried some of the things I mentioned cause we don't have much time left. Thanks.

Most of all, I'd like to see at least the first S taller than the other letters, or you could try both. We also mentioned the Liberation Serif (bold), which looks good on the logo we probably won't use. However, the numbers look good with either font, so the choice is up to you (William).

I'd like to echo this plea for your help because it's 1:38, I need to get to bed, but I'll still be up early in the morning to give myself at least 3 or 4 hours to put it all together.

Me too.. (and it's 2:38 here... eyeyeye)

I'll try to get up and contribute as early as possible, but just so you all know I wasn't able to edit the text on the front wordmark with any success while keeping the stroke consistent so that's why I'm asking for help. Just saying it again like Shiny did, and to Shiny or William (whoever is willing and able to do this), at least one of the S's, preferably both, should be bigger than the rest. And Liberation Serif Bold is a font possibility other than what we have now.

I also echo my earlier ideas regarding the star. This would be easier to edit so if you even want to post the SVG file (And AI file cause ColaCock wanted it too) that might work and we could spread the load more.

sorry if I'm spewing words right now. I really need to sleep. :D

Plus I suggest the outer white outline and the implied outline created by the white beveling within the star both be thickened, more the inner one.

I have a good render of this in Flash, but it's a devil to edit the thickness of the outline without redrawing it. I'm not quite sure which implied outline you are referring to, either. At any rate, I'm all for minor adjustments that make the product better, but I'm a bit unclear on what you mean.

Last time I posted an .svg was with special circumstances; I had to go through an .ai trial download to get it. Flash exports in .ai for Illustrator 6.0, but bruschimania said he had problems opening it. Here it is, anyway, in .ai. If someone can convert, please do so for GBM so I can see what he's talking about with the outlines.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dwsm6eg0rbt

Wordmark update. I simplified everything and used less strokes, and tried to incorporate the Capitol into the actual text a little better. Also tried out the larger S at the ends of the word. This is completely redrawn, even the capitol building, so if anyone wants this file I'll upload it.

wordmark2.png

^^^

the wordmark is a big improvement, especially by increasing the size of the last "S"..getting rid of all the strokes was also great, too cluttered before which would cause issues in printing i would think.

the redrawn capitol dome is also an improvement because the "North State" banner section aggravated me earlier in that it wasn't uniformly shaped. my only slight nitpick is the lines on the actual dome...i wish somehow they could be a stroke size that is more bold instead, but maybe that would take away from the look. i'm just afraid after a screenprint, the blue spaces would disappear if the white bled any since it is such a small space. i am just saying this from my experience in getting things screenprinted.

i will say though that i do understand what we were going for now with the wordmark/primary altogether in one. i guess it wouldn't have been the first thing i would have done for this challenge, but looking at the template above and remembering what this is for- it is practical.

what about a number font with a bevel? since we are using a beveled star? if it would complicate things, don't worry about it (because for continuity, we might would also need to bevel the wordmark) but it is just a suggestion. i can't think of what team does this or i would show a quick example.

I know Shiny is sorting out the template, so this isn't me trying to barge in. Just mocked this up to show how the elements work together, especially the custom numbers. Again, I would say that though they aren't a perfect match to the wordmark; they are similar in style, look good and are 100% custom.

tshirt.png

Archived