2nd Winter Classic to involve Hawks/Wings at Wrigley

DaytonBlue

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

Are you serious? No way it would be cold enough to do outdoors.

Actually, it can get pretty chilly.

An alternative would be to do it at the Coliseum, which is also is closer to the Kings fanbase anyway.

But... in the middle of South Central... er... SOUTH Los Angeles.

:P

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Sounds great. I think it would make more sense to have it at Soldier Field though, considering the configurations.

I don't think there will ever be a Winter Classic in a southern/western city. Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, etc. Why have a Winter Classic in an area where winter is almost non-existent? It takes away part of the novelty of the event.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

The Red Wings get screwed over again. Apparently, Comerica has poor visual lines to see an outdoor game.

Even if it didn't, the Wings being the visitors in this year's Winter Classic kills any chance of a double-header at Ford Field as had been suggested. As someone who's been calling for the Wings to do more cross-promotion with all the college teams in Michigan, it pisses me off to see an opportunity to do just that taken away.

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

An alternative would be to do it at the Coliseum, which is also is closer to the Kings fanbase anyway.

Well they have that synthetic ice surface now (the plastic with wax covering) so outdoor games in CA may not be too far off.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

Well they have that synthetic ice surface now (the plastic with wax covering) so outdoor games in CA may not be too far off.

I can't see the NHL giving the OK for a synthetic surface. It's just not the same at all.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

I can't see the NHL giving the OK for a synthetic surface. It's just not the same at all.

Yeah, kind of like astroturf. Baseball will never give the OK for that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am really digging this new trend by the NHL. I would love to see more than one game a year. Don't over do it but like 5 different sites would be cool. One every other weekend in jan/feb.

Nah, that would be total overkill. Have more than one per year, and it's not special anymore.

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

Yeah, kind of like astroturf. Baseball will never give the OK for that.

Running on astroturf doesn't necessarily require more energy. But for hockey players, gliding on the ice is different than on the synthetic ice. I've been fortunate enough to play on a synthetic surface and believe me, it's nowhere near the same as a real ice. Ever tried a sliding defensive play to prevent a breakaway? No such thing possible on the synthetic ice.

If the NHL was indeed ready to try it out, the NHLPA would probably intervene, trying to prevent possible injuries to the players.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like them to try it, but I just can't see an outdoor game on this as part of a 'Winter' classic.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Kings Ducks-Rose Bowl

You know they have done an outdoor game in Las Vegas before (back in the early 90's a pre-season game). They can make natural ice in Southern Cal without much of a problem if they wanted too. Sure it's a bit odd to think about but it can be done.

An outdoor game in non-winter conditions has been done before--in Las Vegas.

(D'oh. I was posting while jkr posted. But, hey, I've got a link. So there. ;) )

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived