NFL Jaguars could be sold and moved

simpsontide

As for the Bills to Toronto, I believe that Ted Rogers owns the Argos, please correct me if I am wrong, and the NFL a few years ago invested in the CFL, so if they want to move to Toronto I think there is a way to have a done properly.

Ted Rogers does not own the Argos, however his company "Rogers Communications" owns the Toronto Blue Jays and the Rogers Centre.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do I suspect that Los Angeles by and large does not want an NFL team?

It doesn't matter, because the NFL wants a team in LA. It's the #2 TV market with no team, whereas Jacksonville is the #56 TV market and has a team that can't even sell out its games when it is a playoff team.

At least if they moved to LA it would keep other teams from moving there. And yes they should change the name and logos...I always HATED that decapitated cat head on a black helmet, it's one of the worst in sports history.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Weaver says it is all a lie.

"In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

Both sides are saying this is false.

"I bought the Colts to play in Baltimore. I have no thought of taking them elsewhere. We have a great team in a great sports town where there have been sellouts. Why move?" - former Colts owner Robert Irsay.

"I have no intention of moving the damn team. If I did, I would tell you." - Irsay in Januray 1984.

B)

"In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

"I bought the Colts to play in Baltimore. I have no thought of taking them elsewhere. We have a great team in a great sports town where there have been sellouts. Why move?" - former Colts owner Robert Irsay.

"I have no intention of moving the damn team. If I did, I would tell you." - Irsay in Januray 1984.

B)

True, but right now it is the Paper's word vs both the owner's word and the alleged buyer's word.

If the Jags were to move to LA, I think a name change would be in order. Personally, I feel if a team moves states, they should try to endear themselves to their new surroundings w/ a whole new identity. I mean, who wants to root for what amounts to a second-hand franchise otherwise? Anyway, if LA were to get a team I hope they don't use an animal name. Los Angeles just seems like such a "big time" place that an animal mascot just would seem inadequate. They'd probably be better off w/ one of those somewhat abstract "human-ish" type names that don't really have a clear representation, like Giants, Dodgers, Lakers, etc.

As poorly worded as this was, I actually get what you're saying, and totally agree with it. In fact I've made this same point while discussing crap like this with my friends. The "big-time city" teams really don't need mascots, as their city is basically their identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True enough, but people in those situations tend to want to deny everything until a deal is actually done. They don't automatically have any more credibility than a newspaper columnist - quite the contrary, actually.

Do I believe that he's selling the team? I don't know. But I wouldn't trust him when he says that he isn't.

True enough, but people in those situations tend to want to deny everything until a deal is actually done. They don't automatically have any more credibility than a newspaper columnist - quite the contrary, actually.

Do I believe that he's selling the team? I don't know. But I wouldn't trust him when he says that he isn't.

I agree. When it comes to business it is smart to keep quiet until the deal is done. Until then it is business as usual for me. No reason to believe otherwise. Like I brought up in another post the other say. There always seems to be a beatwriter from a city no where near Jax that wants to say this every year. According to papers around the country the Jags were suppose to be in LA since 99.

Anyways, here is another Weaver interview

A little more from Weaver

The reason this one got more press is because Weaver did not immediately shut the rumor down like in the past. When the story broke he was traveling. Like I said, so far no credibility to the paper. This is the second time this paper has said the Jags would be moving.

I don't believe an anything until I see it with my own eyes and wasn't the Jaguars kind of an accidental expansion team. St. Louis & Baltimore were the front runners back in 1993 but the ownership groups were disorganized so the NFL went with stronger groups in Charlotte & Jacksonville.

“In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

A story like this just doesn't happen in the figment of some overeager sports scribe's mind. Methinks there's smoke, and there's definitely a fire. Whether or not anything pans out, we'll see. But I don't believe for a second that Weaver hasn't been talking to folks about selling the franchise.

He'd be stupid not to. His team's riding a surge in success both on and off the field(Matt Jones notwithstanding). They're perennial playoff contenders, have a first-rate business regimen, and the franchise is more valuable than it ever has been. He's looking at doubling his investment right now. He's GOT to be thinking about cashing in. That doesn't necessarily mean he will, however.

Sigs are for sissies.

For L.A. to have a franchise, they need 3 ingredients - a team, a viable fan base, and a stadium deal. As others have mentioned, people there seem to be totally 'meh' about NFL football. If they were rabid about getting a team, the stadium issue would have been solved and a team placed there long ago. The NFL sees dollar signs and seems to want to shoehorn a team in there whether fans want one or not. A mistake IMO.

At least this story isn't about the Saints.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

“In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

A story like this just doesn't happen in the figment of some overeager sports scribe's mind. Methinks there's smoke, and there's definitely a fire. Whether or not anything pans out, we'll see. But I don't believe for a second that Weaver hasn't been talking to folks about selling the franchise.

That's just it, Weaver was looking for minority investors to clean up some debt. The writer tried to make his own fire. I got news for you. Outside local markets sportswriters don't know jack. They think they do but they dont. It is funny seeing outside writers falsely report something on the Jaguars. I'm not just talking about selling of the team info.

Let me add this isn't the first Jags for sale article in the last 9 years. One or two comes out every year. Writers see a small market + a couple of non sellouts + LA with no team = Jags must move to LA.

?In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

That's just it, Weaver was looking for minority investors to clean up some debt. The writer tried to make his own fire. I got news for you. Outside local markets sportswriters don't know jack. They think they do but they dont. It is funny seeing outside writers falsely report something on the Jaguars. I'm not just talking about selling of the team info.

Let me add this isn't the first Jags for sale article in the last 9 years. One or two comes out every year. Writers see a small market + a couple of non sellouts + LA with no team = Jags must move to LA.

You may be right, but I think there's something wrong when a playoff team can't even sell out its home games.

You may be right, but I think there's something wrong when a playoff team can't even sell out its home games.

The Atlanta Braves had that problem for most of their long string of playoff appearances.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think its more likely that LA's next NFL team will be the Chargers.

Its not really new speculation of course, but it was brought up again recently in the ESPN article they ran about which pro sports team might relocate next.

San Diego Chargers, NFL:

The team's already-constant complaints about Qualcomm Stadium have grown louder (is that possible?) ever since the Padres moved out of Qualcomm and into their beautiful new baseball digs at Petco Park. The team is exploring plans to build a $1.2 billion complex in nearby Chula Vista, Calif., but that plan faces obstacles. Chargers ownership maintains that it wants to keep the team in San Diego, despite the $800 million Los Angeles-area stadium plan unveiled by Ed Roski -- a close friend of the Spanos family, which owns the Chargers.

?In light of news reports from last night, I must once again reiterate the fact that I am not selling the Jaguars"

To be fair there is less than 4,000 season tickets left and it is only July. Every game will be a sell out next year.

A story like this just doesn't happen in the figment of some overeager sports scribe's mind.

As a former journalist, I can assure you of the fact that said scenario takes place far more often than sports scribes would care to admit. Combine a journalist's desire to justify his byline or column inches with the notion that sports journalism is inherently frivolous and, therefore, somehow not subject to the same level of source scrutiny as hard news reporting, and you have an environment in which a sports reporter will jump to conclusions based upon the flimsiest of so-called "leads".

Furthermore, I'm always a bit skeptical of any sports journalist's report of the impending sale and relocation of the Jacksonville Jaguars. If I had a nickel for every sports reporter, columnist or broadcast anchor who has bitched and moaned about a "backward" "cow-town" like Jacksonville being admitted into the ranks of NFL host cities... well, I'd be a WEALTHY man. The ink-stained wretches and broadcast pundits of sports have had it in for Jacksonville since the city was awarded an NFL expansion team. Apparently, there aren't enough first-class places for said journalists to pad their expense accounts in Jacksonville, so they'd like nothing better than to see the franchise relocated to a more cosmopolitan municipality. As a result, very few members of the august fraternity of sports journalists can be considered to be unbiased on this subject. Frankly, they're hoping that their doom-and-gloom pronouncements about Jacksonville's days being numbered as an NFL market are self-fulfilling prophecies.

I always HATED that decapitated cat head on a black helmet, it's one of the worst in sports history.

To each their own. I happen to think that it is the best logo in the NFL... and, quite possibly, all of North American major-pro sports.

Ugh. I think it's one of the worst. No, scratch that. Hands-down the worst in any of the four major sports. And I'm including the Buffaslug.

Nice color scheme, miserable hairball logo.

Archived