MLB awards 08

BJBerthiaume

My problem with taking Runs and RBIs into too much consideration is they are too dependent on what is around you. If you put an MVP on a team surrounded by league average players, their RBIs and runs take a nose dive because both of those require people either getting on in front of you or behind you.

Not saying they shouldn't count, but to me the RBI total holds as much value as the Win total does for the Cy Young. Typically the best players are at the top, but to order the top players with that stat isn't very fair in regards to the team's around them.

I realize you already said you'd vote for Pujols but I just wanted to throw my thoughts on RBIs out there. As my years go up in age, I'm starting to pay attention to OPS, Slugging, Runs Created, AVG, HRs, much more than RBIs. However if I remember previous threads, you're a SABR guy as well...

Use BaseRuns. More structurally sound. :)

I like to look at Justin Inaz' all-around (including defense, positional adjustments based on the defensive spectrum, etc.) ratings, found at his site jinaz-reds.blogspot.com. He has a great 8-or-so part series explaining the ratings (Runs above replacement, but not VORP-cluster:censored:ed) in pretty simple terms for the most part, linked on the left side, and it is a really really great read. I think what he has done is given the basis of a true MVP. Same for pitchers. I think you should all at least check it out.

As of now, Sizemore is leading in the AL and Pujols, by a mile, in the NL. I think Lee and Lincecum are winning the CY races.

And as far as RBI and R are concerned, I believe you are right on.

Gah. I basically spent a good part of my summer studying sabermetrics (I know, typical teenager right), and now I feel like a real nerd.

Tank, that is so wrong on so many levels.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now when Yost goes to down his sorrows does he drink Bud to piss off his ex bosses.

WTF?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now when Yost goes to down his sorrows does he drink Bud to piss off his ex bosses.

WTF?

Although the Brewers aren't owned by the Miller Brewing company, I think that's what Tank was trying to joke about.

Instead of drinking a Lite tonight, he'll have a Light instead.

NL MoY: Ned Yost, Milwaukee

Good job getting the Brewers back into the playoffs for the first time since I was 2 months old

Oh really? :rolleyes:

I wonder if a fired manager is eligible for Manager of the Year... I still think he was the best in the NL this season.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Ask Joe Girardi in 2006

I don't think Girardi counts.

He was canned after the season concluded -- and his firing was because he couldn't see eye-to-eye with Florida's idiot owner and had nothing to do with his on the field managerial skills.

6uXNWAo.png

• 1 month later...

Archived