New Utah Jazz Secondary Logo

TruColor

That belongs to New Orleans as much as Hugo belongs to Charlotte, I wish they would have left it alone...brings back bad memories

Does Charlotte even really show an interest in the Hornets identity nowadays?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, but no thanks, Utah.

"I told the Utah Jazz thanks, but no thanks, for that recolored secondary logo . . . "

Sorry, wrong thread.

The lines seem off in this, somehow. The Light Blue section of the ball seems to be higher up than the Silver part. The note part of the logo doesn't connect to the ball smoothly, and the little piece underneath where the note meets the basketball really bothers me. Also, some of the curves on the note part of the logo look weird. I don't know if this is the official file or not, but if it is it does look very sloppy.

I never noticed before that the stem (?) of the note doesn't flow smoothly out of the bottom right of the ball. That fact that it doesn't makes the logo look lazily/sloppily thrown together . . . and will now bother me every time I see it as much as the Chicago Bears' uneven/assymetrical wishbone C bothers me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is the official file. Another thing to note, is that the lines that make out the ball aren't all the same width.

Great. Something else to annoy me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

ten minutes or so and this is what you could build on:

jazz-alt.jpg

im looking at you adidas

Love that one despite not liking the general 'J-ball-note' logo. This incorporates the present nicely.

Yup, this is pretty lame. Then again (1) their primary logo is downright mystifying (what do a bunch of mountains have to do with jazz?) and (2) I'm not a big fan of the team taking the Jazz identity with them from New Orleans in the first place - it just doesn't fit in Salt Lake City.

(1) Utah is obviously trying to incorporate their location identity in with their name identity, something many teams do (e.g. Nuggets w/ mountain, Padres w/ waves, Ravens w/ MD flag elements, Titans w/ TN flag elements, old Sonics' use of the Space Needle, old Rams' use of the Arch, & many other teams [namely MLB & NHL] have logo overlays on the state outline).

(2) Many a team has relocated yet kept the original nickname (oh, let's just give LA Lakers for an example!) even when it doesn't necessarily fit with the city. This is a very exhausted, old, and settled argument on these boards.

ujsignature.png

(1) Utah is obviously trying to incorporate their location identity in with their name identity, something many teams do (e.g. Nuggets w/ mountain, Padres w/ waves, Ravens w/ MD flag elements, Titans w/ TN flag elements, old Sonics' use of the Space Needle, old Rams' use of the Arch, & many other teams [namely MLB & NHL] have logo overlays on the state outline).

(2) Many a team has relocated yet kept the original nickname (oh, let's just give LA Lakers for an example!) even when it doesn't necessarily fit with the city. This is a very exhausted, old, and settled argument on these boards.

No, it's just a valid argument that Jazz fans don't have an answer for, and consequently don't like to have repeated. :P Just as the Lakers name (to use your excellent example) gets repeated, and fans of the purple and gold get defensive.

Seriously, what sets the Jazz apart here is that they are almost alone in having a logo set that completely ignores the nickname in favor of the location. The Nuggets and Padres have alternate logos that are much more literal of their nickname, the Ravens have always used a raven logo, the Titans' use of TN flag elements is in conjunction with and not instead of Hellenic imagery, and so on.

Sure, sure. It's just that the logo has such a cold feel too it and Jazz seems like a name that doesn't fit with cold.

And while the Lakers may be out of place, at least they completely ignore the meaning of the name. Bringing back the jazz note would be like the Lakers having a secondary with a lake on it.

Seriously, what sets the Jazz apart here is that they are almost alone in having a logo set that completely ignores the nickname in favor of the location

I suppose that was true up until yesterday.

And while the Lakers may be out of place, at least they completely ignore the meaning of the name. Bringing back the jazz note would be like the Lakers having a secondary with a lake on it.

It looks like you 2 should be the ones debating.

- Gothamite: embrace part of nickname w/ location too

- Firefly: completely ignore inapplicable nickname

ujsignature.png

I'll agree that they've stopped ignoring the nickname completely, if you admit that the nickname remains singularly incongruous. :P

I agree that 'jazz' in the abstract has absolutely no connotation to the state of Utah. However, Utah Jazz fans have had the team for almost 30 years now and would be completely opposed to a name change (IMO). Uprooting a team after such a tenured establishment would shock people enough to say that 'Jazz' now has developed a connotation with Utah.

ujsignature.png

Maybe Jazz means basketball in Utah but, 30 years or not, every time I hear Jazz I still think of New Orleans first. Lakers isn't in the same category since when you hear "lakes" you probably think of the Great Lakes first, not Minnesota. Jazz is simply too directly tied to New Orleans.

Still don't get why Utah, or any other city that gets an old team, wouldn't want to have their own name and create their own identity like the Ravens or now the Thunder. When we got the Buffalo Braves in San Diego, I was thrilled that they became the Clippers, instead of the Braves. and became San Diego's own team (of course that didn't last long but you get my point). Maybe that's just me.

Archived