2008/09 NBA Preview

NJTank

Not sure how you can compare Alex Smith being a bust to Andrew Bogut supposedly being one, too. Sure, he is not a superstar, but he isn't Michael Olowokandi or Kwame Brown, either. The guy averaged just under 15 points and 10 rebounds a game last year. Smith has had nowhere near equivalent productivity in the NFL.

I do like going out on a limb with a team like Charlotte, though. Somebody will surprise and make the playoffs. Very well could be them.

Atlanta Hawks 30-52

Poor Atlanta, they make a nice run, slip into the playoffs and give the Celtics all they could handle sending the series to seven games. Then instead of being able to build off, they lose Josh Childress to a European team. The Hawks won't fall to the bottom of the East, but they won't come any where close to making the playoffs.

:lol:

Charlotte Bobcats 43-39

The Bobcats are this year's Atlanta Hawks as they have some good solid talent that if it stays healthy and gel, will slip into the playoffs with Larry Brown now on the bench. Look for the Bobcats to hold off the Wizards at the end of the year and make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. However, in the playoffs they won't be able to challenge the Celtics like the Hawks did.

:lol: :lol:

That's the only problem I really have though.

Wow Tank, you're really going out on a limb on some of those late seeds.

The BOBCATS not only in the playoffs, but OVER .500? That is a gutsy call. I'm going to be more conservative and say they have a difficult time reaching the 40-win mark. Larry Brown traditionally strips you down, then builds you back up... and he needs tested veterans to really be effective. This team just doesn't have it right now.

The Bulls also in the playoffs, with a higher seed than Philly? Really? Chicago over Washington or Atlanta? I mean, granted Atlanta isn't great, but they took the Celtics to 7 games in the first round. They may not make the playoffs anyway, but to bump Chicago up over them is a bit odd. Especially considering they have 1-and-done rookie in Rose, who, although he's great, is untested in the league, and considering they've got not much else (especially inside... oh man are they thin), I have a hard time believing Chicago will make the playoffs without making a major move mid-season. I think Washington is going to be there in the end. They made the playoffs last season missing Agent Zero for a good portion, Caron Butler had a fantastic season and should continue.

In the West, I have to disagree on the Nuggets and Mavericks making it... more the Nuggets than Dallas, although I don't think either team will be there. Denver moved their only defensive presence in Camby, and now is 100% defensively incapable. AI is another year older (although he'll still be solid) and who knows what they'll get out of Nene or K-Mart. Phoenix should make the playoffs without question - they're too talented not to. I don't know how far they'll go, but Amare and Nash alone will get them in. I'm tempted to put Golden State in over Dallas, but I wouldn't really be surprised if the reverse was true in the end.

San Antonio over Boston is kind of tough this season. I totally get it, and again, I wouldn't be 100% surprised (maybe like 75% surprised)... but boy, to say the Lakers won't even be in the conference Finals is BALLSY dude. That team is far too intimidating in my eyes. The best low-post tandem in the league by far with Bynum and Gasol. The reigning MVP with Kobe. 5-time Finalist Derek Fisher holding down fort at point guard. Odom off the bench, whereas he'd be starting on any other team in the league. The Hornets couldn't take LA even without Bynum. With him in the lineup, I don't see how Nawlins overcomes the hurdle.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

You've got the Spurs representing the West in the Finals?

I'm sorry, but with your format, the 5th seeded Spurs would have to go through the Lakers in the 2nd round -- and that's just not happening (unless your forecast involves Kobe tearing up an ACL).

6uXNWAo.png

You've got the Spurs representing the West in the Finals?

I'm sorry, but with your format, the 5th seeded Spurs would have to go through the Lakers in the 2nd round -- and that's just not happening (unless your forecast involves Kobe tearing up an ACL).

Tnak doesn't make much sense when he's making predictions before the season starts. Logic dictates that if you think the Spurs are the best team in the conference, you have them at least winning their division, much less being the #1 seed. Much like he feels the Devils are only 6th-best in the East before the playoffs start, yet they wind up winning the Cup. I don't get it.

It's perfectly fine to predict upsets and such for the postseason, but only after that regular season has ended.

Its an odd year its a Spurs year.

Let me get this straight... you honestly think that a Spurs team that's a year older and without Ginobili for a long stretch is going to beat a Lakers team that's stronger in the interior, the Spurs' strength?

Drugs are bad, kids.

VmWIn6B.png

Its an odd year its a Spurs year.

That is terrible logic.

Duncan's not getting any younger (or better), and who knows how healthy Ginobili really is!? The only hope San Antonio will have to win this year is if someone can knock out the Lakers for them.

6uXNWAo.png

Just a correction:

Toronto Raptors 50-32

The Raptors are clearly a team on the rise, Chris Bosh is one of the finest young stars in the NFL, as the addition of Jermaine O'Neal gives them a solid man in the middle. Look for O'Neal to be revitalized by a new start in Toronto, as the Raptors make a run at 50 wins. If only the Celtics were not in the way they could win a division title, though a trip into the second round is quite possible this year.

NFL? Maybe NBA

My Analysis:

1. Charlotte going to Playoffs?- I don't think so. They are overrated. I'd better pick Wizards rather than this MJ-based team. Get the 11th spot.

2. Sun will shine out?- A bit. They have a bad coach who led the Bucks to 30 wins and a whopping 52 losses. I don't see them becoming competitive. Blame Steve Kerr. :(

3. Clippers still slowing down.- Hell no! Expect them ranking at #10.

4. Celtics' 18?- Hope will happen! 60 wins dude.

5. The Bryant Domination?- I don't see them becoming very competitive even thou a stronger Bynum came in. Just 59 wins.

6. LBJ!!LBJ!!- Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. LBJ and the Cavs are the biggest team to beat the Celtics. Expect a grueling rivalry and an ECF showdown. He might win the MVP

7. Knicks: 27 wins only?- Nope. I guess, about 39 wins. Getting the 10th spot.

8. On fire going down- I see the Heat winning about 40 games instead of 30+. Get the 9th spot.

Just my 2 cents.

My Analysis:

2. Sun will shine out?- A bit. They have a bad coach who led the Bucks to 30 wins and a whopping 52 losses. I don't see them becoming competitive. Blame Steve Kerr. :(

That's because he didn't have the talent imo to win in Milwaukee, if anyone saw the game last night, you will see a good Suns team. Just because D'Antoni left means nothing, they have Amare and Nash and a great supporting cast. I see them winning at least 50 games this year as they are going to be underrated. I see them becoming competitive. I see them going out in the second round unfortunately. But I don't see the Spurs as the Champions

Los Angeles Lakers 60-22

What made Kobe Bryant a MVP last year and helped the Lakers reach the NBA Finals, was that the Lakers star learned how to be a team player, and learned some humility, and become an overall more mature person. It's hard to imagine him back tracking so the Lakers, will be capable of repeating in the West and maybe even adding another banner. However, the key will be the health of Pao Gasol and Alex Bynum

find this guy and keep him healthy!

Archived