mls cup 2008

Krona

Top three in each conference made it, plus two wildcards. How is this such a difficult concept?

Because most Americans believe that a playoff system (still weird saying that in Soccer/Football/Futbol after 13yrs), should have equal representation from both divisions/conferences/leagues. Even when teams in other leagues have futile records, such as in the NBA, MLB, and NFL (as examples), those teams do not crossover into the other conferences' playoff bracket.

However, the playoff concept in MLS will/does confuse the casual (uninformed) fans especially when a team from one conference (New York) wins the other conference's place in the final. Then again, MLS has always tinkered with their MLS Cup format especially in the 2001 season where the final was between Los Angeles and San Jose (but that's a whole different animal when there were THREE CONFERENCES).

In essence, I can see this current playoff format being around for another year or three once the next wave of expansion balances out the East and West Conferences (up to 9 clubs per conference [theoretically]) and the top 4 teams in each Conference battle it out for MLS Cup Final berths.

And that is why most American don't understand this sport :P

Another win for the MLS in terms of design! This is one of the few leagues that almost always has great event logos nowadays.

You're absolutely right, Steve-O, and it's a point that seems to go largely unnoticed.

Every logo and uniform package ? from the updates of the Earthquakes and Sounders logos, to the relative new identity of the Dynamo, to the complete rebranding of the Galaxy and Rapids franchises ? has been outstanding.

I'm not as hot on the Red Bulls look, but that's what corporate branding does to you.

Another win for the MLS in terms of design! This is one of the few leagues that almost always has great event logos nowadays.

You're absolutely right, Steve-O, and it's a point that seems to go largely unnoticed.

Every logo and uniform package ? from the updates of the Earthquakes and Sounders logos, to the relative new identity of the Dynamo, to the complete rebranding of the Galaxy and Rapids franchises ? has been outstanding.

I'm not as hot on the Red Bulls look, but that's what corporate branding does to you.

Wonder what the Philly identity will look like...

It'll look better than any other identity in the city, you can count on that.

Another fantastic job on the MLS Cup logo. I just wish as much thought and skill went into the design of the actual trophy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Let's go crew! Ever since I was a little kid I have been dreaming of this day. All of the years of futility and missing the 8 team playoff in a 10 team league and playing in cavernous Ohio Stadium are now paying off.

I'm just kidding, I want the crew to win, but I've only been to one game in ten years and I really won't be broken up about it if they lose.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's weird to see "New York" name on the Western Conf. Champs T-shirt, West Conf????

I know they won the Western Playoffs, but a bit strange. Like switching LA & NY to the other's coast. :wacko:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Let's go crew! Ever since I was a little kid I have been dreaming of this day. All of the years of futility and missing the 8 team playoff in a 10 team league and playing in cavernous Ohio Stadium are now paying off.

I'm just kidding, I want the crew to win, but I've only been to one game in ten years and I really won't be broken up about it if they lose.

Wow! So you're just like the rest of the bandwagon 'fans' of the Crew. One game in ten years and only sing when they are winning.

Seriously though I just hope an earthquake happens in the middle of the game and swallows up both the Crew and the RedBulls (who are :censored:e) and their supporters. Then, and only then, will there be any justice in the soccer world.

But I'm not here to point out my total disreguard for both clubs but want to know when the Crew will get a new badge that TRUELY reflects the city of CBus or the state of Ohio. Because their current shield has all the elements for a team in Pittsburgh not CBus.

ColumbusCrew.png

Rumor has it that it was designed for a Chicago club (which makes sense seeing it has the old Chicago Sting colours:

Chicago_Sting75logo.png and Chicago is called the "City of Big Shoulders" along with, "Windy City", "Chi-Town", and "Second City".

But people in Chicago didn't buy up enough pre sale tickets for the inaugural season but CBus did and got the club and the design for the Chicago club. This is just a rumor but I can see where it might have some truth behind it seeing the design.

Wow! So you're just like the rest of the bandwagon 'fans' of the Crew. One game in ten years and only sing when they are winning.

Seriously though I just hope an earthquake happens in the middle of the game and swallows up both the Crew and the RedBulls (who are :censored:e) and their supporters. Then, and only then, will there be any justice in the soccer world.

My whole point is that yes I am a bandwagon Crew fan. I really don't care whether they win or lose, but it would be nice for Columbus to get a pro sports championship. It was a joke because I'm not a Crew fan at all. Get it?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived