New Orleans Jazz warm up jacket

aykay

I noticed this design from watching NBA TV's Hardwood Classics of Pete Maravich's 68 point game against the Knicks in 1977. This video from Maravich's 68 point game shows the warmups at the 2:18 mark, earlier in the video you'll notice the ballboy's shirts too. Pretty interesting. Also note on the back of the warmups there is the Jazz logo with an outline of the Superdome.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

i always liked how each team had their own style warmups, not the cookie-cutter designs they have today.

I totally agree. I also liked it better when each team in the NFL had their own unique designs for their sideline gear. Now it's all about branding the apparel manufacturer and the league rather than the individual teams.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I noticed this design from watching NBA TV's Hardwood Classics of Pete Maravich's 68 point game against the Knicks in 1977. This video from Maravich's 68 point game shows the warmups at the 2:18 mark, earlier in the video you'll notice the ballboy's shirts too. Pretty interesting. Also note on the back of the warmups there is the Jazz logo with an outline of the Superdome.

Thanks jhans... I did a screen grab so that everyone can check out the warm ups in question.

Picture1-1.png

Many years ago I was in sales and called on the Superdome as an account. The person I had to see was in an office suite that had belonged to the Jazz before they moved. The carpet was purple and had the Jazz logo shown in this thread's first post woven into it just inside the door. It was pretty cool.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Man I wish we could do a throwback version of those uni's for the Hornets to wear. I'd do the home whites since it was more popular over their purple away set. I think the NBA should allow teams to do throwbacks in consideration of a former city. They could still allow the Utah Jazz to wear a Stockton-Malone early era throwback which is basically the original Jazz set with 'Utah' in the wordmark. Why not?

I'd like to see teams stop cosplaying as failed teams and just compete as themselves.

What does "cosplaying" mean?

Dressing up as something else.

And I agree. I'm all for throwbacks, when it's your own team the throwback is referencing. Using the uniforms of failed teams from failed leagues always looks forced.

Somewhere around my parents' house is a New Orleans Jazz patch that I picked up at the Seattle Center Coliseum during the Jazz's first season, when they visited the SuperSonics. As an 8 year old, I loved the name, I loved the colors, I loved the logo.

Reading the history and seeing the logo again certainly brings back bittersweet memories.

Archived