Bowl games without sponsorships?

Viper

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28357024/

The article says only the lesser bowls appear to be in danger of losing their sponsors. Left unaddressed is the bigger question of whether some of these bowl games, if they don't find a replacement sponsor, could disappear altogether (and whether or not that's another blessing in disguise for college football purists).

CCSLC signature.png

The main problem with that thinking is ESPN. I'm not sure the exact number, but ESPN has a stake in a number of bowl games and the revenue generated from them (if any) sends a portion to ESPN.

I know the papajohns.com bowl last year was an ESPN co-venture.

Also, wonder why you keep seeing more and more ads for "MagicJack" on ESPN recently. You can thank the "MagicJack St. Petersberg bowl'

The main problem with that thinking is ESPN. I'm not sure the exact number, but ESPN has a stake in a number of bowl games and the revenue generated from them (if any) sends a portion to ESPN.

I know the papajohns.com bowl last year was an ESPN co-venture.

Also, wonder why you keep seeing more and more ads for "MagicJack" on ESPN recently. You can thank the "MagicJack St. Petersberg bowl'

ESPN owns the following:

Armed Forces Bowl - Fort Worth

Hawaii Bowl - Honolulu

Las Vegas Bowl - Las Vegas

New Mexico Bowl - Albuquerque

PapaJohns.com Bowl - Birmingham

St. Petersburg Bowl - St. Pete

Out of those ones, I'd keep Hawaii, Armed Forces, and Vegas. The rest I'm indifferent on.

I'd only keep Hawaii and Vegas because they've been around for so long.

Hawaii's not been around long - the Aloha Bowl was replaced a while back.

ESPN owning bowl games is somewhat disturbing to me, but it's a way of ensuring comparatively cheap programming (their commitment per game is roughly $1 million if I'm not mistaken, which is dirt cheap for 3 hours of programming that's guaranteed to bring in huge market share in the competing college's television markets) during the holidays.

nav-logo.png

Eagerly awaiting the ShamWow! Bowl, with all seats costing $20.

Boston College would be a sure fit for that piece of crap.

Best of the worst, my friends. Best of the god-damned worst.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Buy now and you get a free cupholder thrown in? And no shipping and handling.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

It would actually be 19.95 per ticket plus shipping and handling. Interested buyers would need to send a money order to Fairfield,NJ or call an 800# but if they act fast enough they would also receive another free ticket plus a free gift. All tickets would take 2-4 weeks for delivery.

It would actually be 19.95 per ticket plus shipping and handling. Interested buyers would need to send a money order to Fairfield,NJ or call an 800# but if they act fast enough they would also receive another free ticket plus a free gift. All tickets would take 2-4 weeks for delivery.

And if it rains on game day, your little ticket stub is powerful enough to dry an entire section's worth of seats.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived