World Baseball Classic Project

JayJaxon

I want to thank all of you so far for checking out the thread and giving me something to work with in improving the sets I have put out. Now I get to answer questions and make comments ;)

- BigShoop, I appreciate you summing it all up for me the way you did. You give me a reason to take a good hard look at Canada again. I will change the colors and work on the hat logo.

- TC, I didn't get a chance to see the LLWS this year, but I am glad that what I created slightly resembles the picture because when I look at a jersey for a country, I want to see that it resembles that country. I'm glad you posted it because now I feel even more like I went in the right direction with Mexico.

-More and more people are talking about how they don't like the USA set, and that just won't do. With this board dominated by Canadians and Americans, I understand that those two sets are going to get picked apart if I don't do it right. So I am going to continue to work on the USA and Canada until I get it right. Stay tuned for that.

-I have fixed the problem with the Australia wordmark being off. But with so many people not 'feeling' the font, I may need to scratch it all together and go with something else. My question is, what says 'Australia' to you guys? If anyone has any font suggestions, I'm all ears. My goal here is to put out something that the home countries could be proud of, so any suggestions are encouraged.

- Now let's take a look at the countries that I have not done yet. What should be my next team (After fixing the current ones) I think most of the uniforms in the 2006 WBC were bad. Teams like China, Chinese Taipei, and the Netherlands were not done well at all in my opinion. Is it one of these, or someone else you would like to see done?

I'll be looking forward to your suggestions and comments as I continue to work on these based on your comments thus far.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- TC, I didn't get a chance to see the LLWS this year, but I am glad that what I created slightly resembles the picture because when I look at a jersey for a country, I want to see that it resembles that country. I'm glad you posted it because now I feel even more like I went in the right direction with Mexico.

Couldn't agree more.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

I like the new Aussie wordmark, it fits the jersey much better. I especially like the first and last capital A. I would still go with a green away jersey.

I will be going with the green away, much like what I posted before. I just wanted to give this wordmark a test run. It looks good with one positive review already.

i do not like that template, looks like a dress

This is the uniform I used as the basis for my template. I would usually be reluctant to do this because it points out the obvious flaws in my re-creation of it. But I felt I needed to put it out there to show that this is what a jersey looks like when it is on a display stand and it's not tucked in. I hope this clears up any questions about why I decided to keep the length the way I did. This is the first jersey template I have ever done.

Templateinspiration.png

i do not like that template, looks like a dress

This is the uniform I used as the basis for my template. I would usually be reluctant to do this because it points out the obvious flaws in my re-creation of it. But I felt I needed to put it out there to show that this is what a jersey looks like when it is on a display stand and it's not tucked in. I hope this clears up any questions about why I decided to keep the length the way I did. This is the first jersey template I have ever done.

Templateinspiration.png

Your modeling of the is pretty decent actually. I think your template is missing a hat and pants. Let's see the whole uni together. Otherwise, you might not know when someone is trying to sneak some red pants in (I'm looking in your direction, Cuba). Don't worry about Bigbad, he rarely makes any sense.

i wasnt criticizing his artistic ability

Don't sweat it. It's not a big deal. You are not the only one that has questioned why I decided to keep the jersey the length I did. Hopefully my posting of the jersey I used to copy will answer some of those questions.

In other news...I'm looking to do China next. For those looking for a re-vamped USA set, it's coming.

well rendered, but i reckon you could go a little deeper with regards to the individuality

of each particular nation.

at the moment, a lot of these concepts are steeped in the 'americana' aesthetic vernacular

that most of us 'foreigners' associate with baseball, and pay little regard to the national

emblems of each country.

now being as i am, i know for a fact that australians have less culture than a natural yogurt,

but if you were to do a concept for say new zealand, i would suggest you look into some of

the maori stylistic devices incorporated into some of our sports teams.

on the whole, our domestic rugby/football/cricket teams are guilty of this type of thing, but

i would certainly point you in the direction of the traditional moko designs etc. who knows,

perhaps you could look at some aboriginal artwork for inspiration for the aussie team?

well rendered, but i reckon you could go a little deeper with regards to the individuality

of each particular nation.

at the moment, a lot of these concepts are steeped in the 'americana' aesthetic vernacular

that most of us 'foreigners' associate with baseball, and pay little regard to the national

emblems of each country.

now being as i am, i know for a fact that australians have less culture than a natural yogurt,

but if you were to do a concept for say new zealand, i would suggest you look into some of

the maori stylistic devices incorporated into some of our sports teams.

on the whole, our domestic rugby/football/cricket teams are guilty of this type of thing, but

i would certainly point you in the direction of the traditional moko designs etc. who knows,

perhaps you could look at some aboriginal artwork for inspiration for the aussie team?

I appreciate your feedback, and I know this is an area in which I am lacking. For Canada, I feel I did the right thing in adding the maple leaf. But from there I could see that it would not be an easy road to do the same things with all of the teams. I will continue to push on and try to get good representations out there for every nation competing in the WBC. I was very pleased with the USA concept I put out, but the reaction has caused me to change my mind :)

I have taken a long hard look at the Asian teams to try to establish an identity with them. I have even gone as far as thinking about presenting the wordmark in their native writing. Would this be a good idea? If anyone has an idea about China and the other Asian participants, I'll be happy to hear them.

Never mind that, just stick the Southern Cross below 'alia' and we'd be happy.

I'd also like to see one green and one gold design... white is kinda meh.

(if you wanted to go all out you could also replace the flag with the Boxing Kangaroo)

Here is the Australia design re-touched. I did not include the Southern Cross for the simple fact that I could not find a way to make it look good on the jersey. I was concerned with the wordmark and that is the primary change here. I am currently working on China, South Africa, and Korea. If anyone has ideas for these three, I will be happy to hear them.

Australia2.png

Here is Korea.

I decided to stay with the colors and just change the wordmark and the style of the jersey. I wanted to incorporate some parts of the flag into the wordmark, but I'm not sure if that would be offensive or not, so I just went with this. I still think it looks good, so what do you guys think?

KoreaWBC.png

I like this project, jj3! Good work so far. I could throw out a couple ideas. First, for the USA, how about spelling out "United States" but do it by breaking the words into two lines with "States" indented a little bit? I like Australia, although the gold outline on the wordmark makes the green look different than the green on the piping. Maybe its only an optical illusion that affects me, but I would consider eliminating the outline like you did on the script of the green jersey.

Again, good project, and kudos for your openmindedness listening and incorporating the suggestions of others. That said, you have some nice talent going, so don't be afraid to hold firm on an idea of your own if you really like it, even if some others may disapprove.

Archived