2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Today, we are all White Sox.

I am a Tiger, never will I ever be a White Sox, the day I root for the White Sox is the last day on earth

Dude, that was sooooo yesterday. We're all back to being Cardinals today.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Tiger, never will I ever be a White Sox, the day I root for the White Sox is the last day on earth

Aw come on Greg, strike two ^_^

Next thing you're going to say is We're all Yankees :P

And tomorrow we will all be Phillies once the Roy Holliday deal is finalized.

6uXNWAo.png

ESPN's original report was that a deal was very close.

Our local reporters are reporting that now medical information is being reviewed and barring something unforseen, the deal is done.

Matt Holliday for Brett Wallace, Clay Mortenson, and Shane Peterson.

Wallace is one of the top hitting prospects in baseball, and was the best hitter in last years draft. He plays 3B but isn't necessarily the greatest, so a team where he could play 1B or DH will be beneficial to him. Mortenson is one of the Cards top 2 or 3 starting pitching prospects. That doesn't necessarily mean much, though. Peterson I believe is a speedy outfielder--don't know much about him.

The Cardinals do hope to re-sign him and the sentiment seems to be they'll make that push. But I'm not sure it's anything they're 100% sure they can pull off. Holliday was apparently quoted earlier this year as saying he'd love to play in St. Louis, but those statements rarely mean much when it comes to dollars.

I'm pretty giddy right now. I think this was the piece we needed to take the division.

I think the Cards got just what they needed. After seeing what St. Louis gave up to get him, I'm a little jealous that the Braves didn't make the move for him. Cuz everyone knows Atlanta needs an outfield bat.

The Cardinals are probably going to start separating from the pack in the Central now.

Honestly, I'm shocked Billy Beane got all of that for a guy everyone knew he couldn't hang onto anyway.

The two 1st rounders you get for letting a Type A free agent walk (if arbitration is offered) have become strong bargaining chips these days.

Apparently so. Way more than I had estimated, at least.

Oh, does Matt have a brother in the minors somewhere?

Honestly, I'm shocked Billy Beane got all of that for a guy everyone knew he couldn't hang onto anyway.

The two 1st rounders you get for letting a Type A free agent walk (if arbitration is offered) have become strong bargaining chips these days.

Except if you can't sign them, right (G)Nats? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Except if you can't sign them, right (G)Nats? :P

You got it!

(but am secretly hoping Strasburg signs with us; just not for an insane amount of money).

Oh, does Matt have a brother in the minors somewhere?

Naw, that's just how we pronnounce Halladay's name here in the States. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

Slightly different topic -- does anyone know what number Adam LaRoche will wear for the Red Sox?

Take this for what it's worth, but Wikipedia has him listed as #23.

6uXNWAo.png

Sources say the Phillies and Blue Jays are in heavy negotiations. Curretly, the deal is shaping up like this...

To Philadelphia:

P Roy Halladay (he would waive his no-trade clause to join Philly)

To Toronto:

P Kyle Drabek

P J.A. Happ

OF Dominic Brown or OF Michael Taylor

6uXNWAo.png

An update from the Newberg Report:

The Rangers have disclosed that righthander Vicente Padilla has tested positive for the Type A/H1N1 influenza strain, commonly referred to as "swine flu." He's the only Rangers player to test positive for the condition and has been sent back to the team hotel in Kansas City. At the moment he's still slated to start Tuesday in Arlington against Detroit.

An update from the Newberg Report:
The Rangers have disclosed that righthander Vicente Padilla has tested positive for the Type A/H1N1 influenza strain, commonly referred to as "swine flu." He's the only Rangers player to test positive for the condition and has been sent back to the team hotel in Kansas City. At the moment he's still slated to start Tuesday in Arlington against Detroit.

New slogan:

Texas Rangers the 'sickest' team in baseball, and not in that cool, hip way.

newsig.jpg

Archived