2009 NFL Off-Season Thread

BlueSky

Matt Cassel is getting 6 yrs 63 million w/ 28 million in guarantees.

I'm gonna go ahead and first-guess this so the Chiefs don't have to second guess themselves. They'll regret that come about October 4th or so...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4327067

Blame it on the aa-a-a-aa-a-asinine-ass ESPN hype machine.

I'da let the dude play out the year first...THEN, if he's worth it, give him the big bucks.

(Suddenly I really miss the days when the Chiefs were all but guaranteed to go 13-3 each year...even if they never could make it out the first round of the playoffs...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a little unwarranted, in my opinion. Like Bucco said?see if he's worth it first, then hit him with the paycheck.

In regard to Derrick Mason?as a Bengals fan, I can't really say I'm sad to see him go. He was a heck of a player?and an absolute steal in most fantasy drafts, though.

Sigs are for sissies.

Gotta agree with Buc here. If it turns out that it was Bill Belichek's system and the team around him and not Matt Cassel that got them within a hair's reach of the playoffs, then the Chiefs are going to be kicking themselves this fall. If it turns out that the Chiefs just signed a franchise QB, then it's worth every penny. This is the NFL, you never know.

Let's put this in perspective...Matt Cassell got Tom Brady money. I don't give a damn what dude showed last year, that's just some crazy :censored:.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ravens LB Terrell Suggs has also signed a 6 year, $63 million deal. He will get $33 million in guaranteed money. Straight cash, homey. That's a LOT of Roosevelts. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Good for the Ravens, bad for the Bengals?and the rest of the league, for that matter. I think the Ravens overpaid for him, personally. He's an upper-level defender, but he's not worth $10 million per year. Perhaps they're preparing themselves for the departure of Ray Lewis...

Sigs are for sissies.

WR Derrick Mason has announced his retirement after 12 seasons in Tennessee and Baltimore.

This doesn't look good for the Ravens. Mason was hardly a #1 receiver at this point in his career, but he was a very solid #2 and a big reason for the team's success last season. I thought one of the biggest needs this offseason was to get a #1 WR and the Ravens failed to acquire anyone of significance. They better do something, because I really hate the idea of Mark Clayton at #1.

Ravens LB Terrell Suggs has also signed a 6 year, $63 million deal. He will get $33 million in guaranteed money. Straight cash, homey. That's a LOT of Roosevelts. :P

Great move. I think Suggs was the most important guy on the defense last season. He constantly put pressure on the opposing QB. I'm glad to see we'll have him for the next 6 years.

WR Derrick Mason has announced his retirement after 12 seasons in Tennessee and Baltimore.

This doesn't look good for the Ravens. Mason was hardly a #1 receiver at this point in his career, but he was a very solid #2 and a big reason for the team's success last season. I thought one of the biggest needs this offseason was to get a #1 WR and the Ravens failed to acquire anyone of significance. They better do something, because I really hate the idea of Mark Clayton at #1.

Great move. I think Scott was the most important guy on the defense last season. He constantly put pressure on the opposing QB. I'm glad to see we'll have him for the next 6 years.

too bad he plays for the jets now

I guess the Ravens will now reopen the chapter at trying to deal for Anquan Boldin, but Harbough will talk to Derrick Mason to try clear up things because he has yet to file his retirement papers.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

For those who missed it...the NFL's Supplemental Draft was held today. It's basically the draft for players that are in football limbo: Not able to be drafted in the regular draft, but ineligible for another season of college football. I'm not gonna go through how it works, but I'll tell you all you need to know: One player was selected, Jeremy Jarmon, DE, Kentucky went to the Redskins in the third round. That was it.

Thanks, fixed it, I was thinking too much when I typed that. But I think the Ravens made the right decisions at LB. Scott will be easy to replace, I expect one of Gooden, Barnes, or McClain to replace him.

I guess the Ravens will now reopen the chapter at trying to deal for Anquan Boldin, but Harbough will talk to Derrick Mason to try clear up things because he has yet to file his retirement papers.

I think their going to have to acquire him or Marshall. The Ravens seemed uneasy about their attitudes, but if Mason does indeed retire there going to need to upgrade at WR.

Thanks, fixed it, I was thinking too much when I typed that. But I think the Ravens made the right decisions at LB. Scott will be easy to replace, I expect one of Gooden, Barnes, or McClain to replace him.

I think their going to have to acquire him or Marshall. The Ravens seemed uneasy about their attitudes, but if Mason does indeed retire there going to need to upgrade at WR.

I think if the Ravens can't convince Mason to come back or make a deal for either Marshall or Boldin there could be options at signing Amani Toomer or Marvin Harrison? Both are getting up in years though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I think if the Ravens can't convince Mason to come back or make a deal for either Marshall or Boldin there could be options at signing Amani Toomer or Marvin Harrison? Both are getting up in years though.

I dont see McDaniels letting Brandon Marshall out of town quite as easily as he did Jay

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

For those who missed it...the NFL's Supplemental Draft was held today. It's basically the draft for players that are in football limbo: Not able to be drafted in the regular draft, but ineligible for another season of college football. I'm not gonna go through how it works, but I'll tell you all you need to know: One player was selected, Jeremy Jarmon, DE, Kentucky went to the Redskins in the third round. That was it.

Now Washington "loses" their 3rd-round pick in the 2010 Draft.

If players go undrafted in this draft, don't they become free agents?

Now Washington "loses" their 3rd-round pick in the 2010 Draft.

If players go undrafted in this draft, don't they become free agents?

Yup. They can officially sign with whoever wants 'em.

Funniest part of this draft: People hitting Adam Schefter up on twitter and asking him where they could watch the draft. THERE WAS ONE PICK, IT TOOK 5 MINUTES.

Even if Mason decides to pull a Favre and come back, the Ravens STILL need to upgrade the WR position. Mason is a #2 at best. Marshall and Boldin are significantly better.

Even if Mason decides to pull a Favre and come back, the Ravens STILL need to upgrade the WR position. Mason is a #2 at best. Marshall and Boldin are significantly better.

I agree, I thought that was the #2 priority of the offseason (after getting Lewis and Suggs signed). I'm just saying that it would be an absolute must, if Mason does indeed retire. I think we could manage with just Mason and Clayton given that we have such a good running game, but it would take alot of luck to get to the Super Bowl.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Mason does come back. I heard he never sent in a letter to the NFL that states he has officially retired. He's probably just upset about Steve McNair's death. I wouldn't be surprised to see him change his mind after some time passes.

Archived