2009 NFL Off-Season Thread

BlueSky

I imagine he'll be wearing a more standard number come camp.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

NFL draft moving to May

The first Saturday in May has always belonged to horse racing. Next year, though, the ponies might have to share the spotlight.

Though actual dates are not firm, the 2010 NFL draft is scheduled for early May. If the league maintains its traditional time frame of conducting the draft 12 weeks after the Super Bowl, the draft would be held May 1-2. The Kentucky Derby, the first jewel in racing's Triple Crown, is Saturday, May 1.

"It's a function of the way the calendar falls," pointed out Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of public relations. "The Super Bowl is late this year . . . February 7, 2010.

"We are currently listing next year's draft as 'early May.' We have not set the specific dates yet."

The league also is exploring the expansion of the regular season from 16 games to 18. All indications, however, are that two of the four exhibition games would be eliminated, thus leaving the length of the 20-week season intact.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle...ing_to_May.html

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Okay--I'm about as big a football fan as they come. But the way the NFL is attempting to monopolize the lives of its fans--and even those who ain't fans--is really starting to irritate me. It was bad enough once the Super Bowl spilled over into February. Now you wanna hold the draft the same weekend as the first leg of the Triple Crown? Yeah, sure...steal what leeeeeeettle spotlight horse racing has. Sure...go for it.

I'm telling you, between this and all those bananas rule changes (i.e. Brady Rule 2.0), the NFL might actually end up cannibalizing itself.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Okay--I'm about as big a football fan as they come. But the way the NFL is attempting to monopolize the lives of its fans--and even those who ain't fans--is really starting to irritate me. It was bad enough once the Super Bowl spilled over into February. Now you wanna hold the draft the same weekend as the first leg of the Triple Crown? Yeah, sure...steal what leeeeeeettle spotlight horse racing has. Sure...go for it.

I'm telling you, between this and all those bananas rule changes (i.e. Brady Rule 2.0), the NFL might actually end up cannibalizing itself.

The race takes like 2 minutes. Realistically, you can watch the Derby and not miss a pick in the draft.

The race takes like 2 minutes. Realistically, you can watch the Derby and not miss a pick in the draft.

Chances are it'd be a commercial break anyway.

And this is what the Kentucky Derby has been reduced to...a commercial break between the 14th and 15th picks of the NFL Draft.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In the heirarchy of "sports" that I find interesting and intriguing, horse racing ranks only sightly above auto racing, both of which are significantly below such other events as competitive lawn mowing and the ever prestigous world whistling championships. I couldn't care less about this... though I do recognize that for a significant part of the population, their entire day is planned around this race, including parties, gabling pools, etc., and that's not even considering the ones who actually attend the event. I'm sure that a lot of NFL execs attend the event too, so I'd be surprised if this change actually happens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There was talk of moving it to Friday night primetime. If the NFL wants it, you can bet it will happen.

Chad OchoCinco and Shawn Merriman are having a webcam war of words, basically talking smack to each other on the internet and twitter. Good thing these guys will actually play against each other this season.

(OMG, September needs to come NOW.)

Cheaters should just shut up.

This is the NFL thread? Oh, my bad.

Chad Johnson iz a cancer!!!12345

Favre Announcement Coming Within The Week?

Ever since rumors and reports surfaced that quarterback Brett Favre already has struck a deal with the Vikings, we've been watching the coming July 4 weekend as the date on which the news of the move might be leaked by the team and/or the player, with an announcement coming at some point during the week of July 6.

There's no longer a reason to wait, now that coach Brad Childress has returned from his fishing trip to Alaska.

And here's the kicker -- the Vikings will begin selling single-game tickets on July 9.

So it makes plenty of sense for Favre's arrival to be formalized before that day. Especially since the Vikings struggled last season to sell out several games, including their first home playoff game in eight years.

Either way, all signs are pointing toward Favre playing for the Vikings in 2009. At this point, any other outcome would be regarded as virtually inconceivable.

Then again, pretty much everything Favre has done since his First Annual Retirement in early 2008 seemed to be virtually inconceivable, before it actually happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ithin-the-week/

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

A California State Senator is attempting to allow for the new 49ers stadium in Santa Clara to be void of the public bidding process for municipal construction projects. Ironic as it was kickbacks which caused Eddie Delartolo, Jr. to have to sell the team to his sister and their family. It seems like the team wants to pull a fast one.

Bill Could Give 49ers Control of Contractors

A state senator is proposing legislation that would allow Santa Clara to avoid a public bidding process on building the proposed 49ers stadium — without having to ask voters for permission to do so.

Under Santa Clara's charter, virtually any city building project must go through open, competitive bidding, with the job going to the lowest "responsible and responsive" bidder. The alternative is a public vote to amend the charter.

But the 49ers have long maintained they need to select the contractor that oversees stadium construction, and state Sen. Elaine Alquist, D-San Jose, has crafted legislation that would allow the 49ers to have their way.

A state senator is proposing legislation that would allow Santa Clara to avoid a public bidding process on building the proposed 49ers stadium — without having to ask voters for permission to do so.

Under Santa Clara's charter, virtually any city building project must go through open, competitive bidding, with the job going to the lowest "responsible and responsive" bidder. The alternative is a public vote to amend the charter.

But the 49ers have long maintained they need to select the contractor that oversees stadium construction, and state Sen. Elaine Alquist, D-San Jose, has crafted legislation that would allow the 49ers to have their way.

But Alquist's move has inflamed opponents critical that much of the stadium financial deal was worked out behind closed doors.

Alquist, who represents Santa Clara and much of the South Bay, has reworked the language of an existing bill, SB 43, to potentially allow the city to avoid a public bidding process in awarding a construction contract. The bill, which will be up for a committee hearing in Sacramento today, would not affect the requirement for a citywide ballot vote in Santa Clara next year on the overall $937 million stadium project, which would include up to $114 million in public money. The 49ers and the NFL would finance about 53 percent of the project.

Even if SB 43 is passed by the legislature, Santa Clara could still decide to go forward with a citywide vote amending the charter to bypass public bidding, said Mayor Patricia Mahan. The City Council expects to appoint a charter revision committee in August that would review various options to allow the 49ers to pick the contractor, potentially including the legislative exemption proposed by Alquist.

Archived