The Canadian Football expansion project: Leftovers

dgnmrwrw

So I just finished my proposed four-team expansion project for the Canadian Football League. See that thread here. I added teams in Halifax, Quebec City, Victoria, and Ottawa. Over the course of the project, I started developing a bunch of additional concepts that I didn't include, because I thought those 4 teams made the most balanced league. But I wanted to go ahead and finish some of those concepts that didn't make the cut because I thought they were still pretty good. So I'm going to post them here, starting with a few teams in the US.

Presenting the Milwaukee Muskies.

Logo.png

Colors are green and orange, with some very dark green and silver for highlights. Nickname comes from the state fish of Wisconsin. The Muskies wear green helmets with green jerseys and white pants at home, white jerseys and white pants on the road. They have alternate pants that are green. Also included is a special alternate set with an orange jersey.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

Uni-Home-Alt2.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presenting the New England Makos.

Logo.png

Colors are what I'm calling Sea blue, green, silver, and black. They ended up being very Seahawk-ish, but that's ok. The Mako is a very common shark of the coasts of the New England states. There is a secondary logo, an M shaped like a shark tooth. The Makos wear blue helmets with blue jerseys and white pants at home, white jerseys and white pants on the road. They have alternate blue pants as well.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

i like the fin on the makos one, i dont know exactly what raysox see wrong with it. for the muskies, with the fish going into the backside of the helmet like that, how does it end? does it end like the seahawks or does it connect to the other fish on the other side making it a two headed fish? Im just having a hard time picturing it. i like the name. makes me remember the old madison muskies baseball team

i like the fin on the makos one, i dont know exactly what raysox see wrong with it. for the muskies, with the fish going into the backside of the helmet like that, how does it end? does it end like the seahawks or does it connect to the other fish on the other side making it a two headed fish? Im just having a hard time picturing it. i like the name. makes me remember the old madison muskies baseball team

Yeah this is difficult to see with the side view of the helmet. Look closely, there are two white stripes coming from the back that taper as they approach the facemask. Those two stripes originate at the bottom of the fish logo, so it would look like the fish is coming from behind those stripes.

Concepts look great...although when I look at the Muskies one I see the Birmingham Baracudas, espeically on the helmet.

True, and that still bothers me. It's a big reason this concept was never seriously considered for the final project. I still really like it, but I couldn't make the helmet NOT look like the 'Cudas.

There is only one problem the Makos will have to deal with:

The New England Patriots.

Also true, and also why this team didn't make the cut. I thought they could work in the Hartford area or maybe Rhode Island, but they would definitely need the "New England" moniker to make it work.

I love both of these concepts although the Makos is my pick as a favorite. Like you said, the colors are Seahawkish but they work well with a shark monicker. The Milwaukee name and look are definately original, but the look is very well done.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

Ok, this next one just about drove me nuts trying to get it right. And it's still not there, so I'd really appreciate input and comments so I can make it better. So...

Presenting the Idaho Thunderbirds.

Logo.png

Some of the detail gets lost in that image, so for a larger version of the logo, click here. Colors are black, sky blue, purple, and silver. If you think that's an odd color scheme, you should have seen what I almost used: Dark purple (think old Mighty Ducks), red, gold, and silver. Anyway, I think the colors I chose are working. I wanted a sense of sky and thunderstorms. The nickname comes from the Thunderbird spirit of Native American mythology, including that of the Idaho Shoshone. They would be based in Boise.

Now, for the uniforms... I desperately wanted to keep them from looking like the Eagles (with the winged helmet) or the Chargers (with lightning bolts all over the jerseys). So the compromise I ended up with is pretty generic, I think. The helmet just has the logo on it. I tried to keep a "wing" motif going on for the jerseys and pants, and I wanted to use bright streaks (piping) of sky blue and purple to give the feel of lightning. All in all, I think they're ok, but they aren't quite where they should be. Anyway, the Thunderbirds wear black helmets, black jerseys, and silver pants at home. White jerseys and black pants on the road. Alternate sets included.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

That Thunderbirds logo is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Nice work. Also did you think of adding a team in a more northern part of Ontario like Thunder Bay, The Sue, Sudburry or even Barrie.

Thanks. Yeah, I looked at both Sudbury and Thunder Bay. The locations I've considered/started work on are:

Portland, OR

Salt Lake City, UT

Grand Rapids, MI

Columbus, OH

Fargo, ND

Albany, NY

Sudbury, ON

Thunder Bay, ON

Saint John, NB

Moncton, NB

Windsor, ON

London, ON

I'll probably finish Portland or Salt Lake City next.

Archived