Logo-less football cards

connriv

Showing my age here, but I can remember getting a pack of Topps football cards (pretty sure Topps was the only sports card maker at the time) and thinking how bizarre the action shots looked with blank helmets. Most of the pictures featured players without their helmets if I recall correctly, but I clearly remember getting a special card of the NFC Championship game (Bucs/Rams) only to see the logos airbrushed off of the helmets.

I assume this was because the NFL didn't grant them the rights to use the logos? Topps was a pretty cheap outfit at the time.

By the time I got to college, sports cards had become a multimillion dollar industry again, so logos abounded. Anyone know more?

Showing my age here, but I can remember getting a pack of Topps football cards (pretty sure Topps was the only sports card maker at the time) and thinking how bizarre the action shots looked with blank helmets. Most of the pictures featured players without their helmets if I recall correctly, but I clearly remember getting a special card of the NFC Championship game (Bucs/Rams) only to see the logos airbrushed off of the helmets.

I assume this was because the NFL didn't grant them the rights to use the logos? Topps was a pretty cheap outfit at the time.

By the time I got to college, sports cards had become a multimillion dollar industry again, so logos abounded. Anyone know more?

i have a huge box of cards that are what you describe. i've been wanting to sell them but i'm not sure what the value are for them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Bingo. Topps only had a license with the NFLPA at that time. In 1982, Topps got back the license it had with the NFL in the late 1960's, but lost in 1970. Strangely in 1990, the NFL refused to grant a license to Topps, leading the company to issue this disclaimer: "Topps player cards are not endorsed by any team or league." Topps took it as a sign that they needed to upgrade it's cards in order to get back an NFL license and in 1991, they got it back.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Topps baseball cards used MLB logos during that same time, so I wouldn't necessarily blame Topps willingness (or lack thereof) to spend for the absence of logos. May have been a reluctance on NFL Properties to release logo usage, for reasons we don't understand.

The same thing occurred with Topps basketball cards around 1969-70, where they couldn't show the team name or logo, so the players wore their jerseys backwards, wore generic jerseys with nothing but a giant number, or wore a jacket...

Donruss was the same way with their early baseball cards (circa '81)

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Bingo. Topps only had a license with the NFLPA at that time. In 1982, Topps got back the license it had with the NFL in the late 1960's, but lost in 1970. Strangely in 1990, the NFL refused to grant a license to Topps, leading the company to issue this disclaimer: "Topps player cards are not endorsed by any team or league." Topps took it as a sign that they needed to upgrade it's cards in order to get back an NFL license and in 1991, they got it back.

I think that for Chargers players, they even airbrushed the lightning bolt out of the stripes over the shoulders. I could be wrong but I remember it that way. What seemed to be odd was that they could use the team name (Dan Fouts-QB-Chargers) but not the logo.

Back when I used to collect cards (this is when they still came with that strip of gum that was made during the civil war), I remember reading about how Topps started making the AFL's cards in the 1960's and the NFL had their made by Philadelphia. Maybe it stuck in the NFL's craw that Topps would dare try to legitimize an upstart league that they held a grudge against the card company til long after the merger?

I also recall a batch of hockey cards I got ~1997-98 where the Avalanche players had the logo on their jersey removed AND the main torso portion of the jersey was bright yellow. That freaked me out at the time.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

It seems odd that they would be able to use the team name but not the logo. Aren't the two usually connected?

I remember back in the Genesis days, NHLPA 93 just used the city name and the colors leading to the New York Islanders becoming Long Island.

Archived