Story on classic Marquette unis

DrBear

I mean I do thing that Marquette has the best uniforms in basketball (my favorite is the baby blue alt) but I just don't understand people and the hate for Oregon. I doubt 1 side stripes will take off but hey who knows.

As I recall, the original tiger stripe set had no white between the stripes at all. I wish they showed pictures from that era for comparison. DePaul also went untucked about the same time. It seemed cool around them.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

The great thing about those untucked Marquette uniforms is that they would dunk on you and then serve you a delicious batch of chocolate-chip cookies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The thing about Marquette back then was they played a fun brand of basketball and they had a feisty coach who was liked by a lot of people. No, he wasn't liked by all, but he was liked by a lot. Plus, there is the national championship in the untucked-in uniforms. Most of the Marquette uniforms were copied by high schools and other colleges. So there is a historic aspect about those old Marquette uniforms that there isn't with the current Oregon football unioforms.

Another thing about those Marquette uniforms is that while high school and college-age kids thought they were cool, older people didn't like the non-traditional nature of the designs. Doesn't this sound familiar (regarding Oregon)? :P

I'll keep in mind that I liked the Marquette untucked look when I was a kid while my dad hated it and try to bite my tounge whenever Nike brings out their next "unique" design - unless it is something really un-functional (like the Oregon baskeball uniforms where the "Oregon" and the player's name are the same color as the uniform itself; I just don't get that part but I can live with the other parts of the design).

Also, don't consider Marquette as being "clean" of any of the "money grab" that the Oregon is always accused of with their Nike relationship: Al McGuire was paid well for the era by Medalist/Sand Knit to put Marquette in those "racing stripe", "bumblebee" and the "block of color" side stripe uniforms. Of course the two untucked designs were done by a player, but I'm sure Al still got his commission every time a high school bought that design.

Thanks to the OP for the walk down memory lane.

Archived