USMNT to break out thirds against mexico?

Krona

Just connecting dots here, but USMNT website is asking fans to wear red to wednesdays game and directing fans to nikesoccer for this download. I bet Crew fans will be stoked to see their home filled with red.

Eh, I think they'll be willing to put country over club.

With that said: I kinda had a feeling that the U.S. was going to do something special with their jerseys when I got a myspace bulletin from them talking about "Don't Tread on Red."

I still hope that this will one day lead to the Don't Tread on Me Snake becoming the new crest soon. That's probably not going to happen, but one can hope.

Anyways, I hope that it looks good. More importantly, I hope that the U.S. beats Mexico. Extremely smart move on their part for putting a U.S. qualifier against Mexico in Ohio in February. Nice job.

Just connecting dots here, but USMNT website is asking fans to wear red to wednesdays game and directing fans to nikesoccer for this download. I bet Crew fans will be stoked to see their home filled with red.
Eh, I think they'll be willing to put country over club.

With that said: I kinda had a feeling that the U.S. was going to do something special with their jerseys when I got a myspace bulletin from them talking about "Don't Tread on Red."

I still hope that this will one day lead to the Don't Tread on Me Snake becoming the new crest soon. That's probably not going to happen, but one can hope.

Anyways, I hope that it looks good. More importantly, I hope that the U.S. beats Mexico. Extremely smart move on their part for putting a U.S. qualifier against Mexico in Ohio in February. Nice job.

Too bad the weather might not cooperate - it's supposed to be in the low 50s on the day in question. Maybe Denver would have worked just as well?

LvZYtbZ.png

FYI to everybody...

That linked PDF has the vector of the don't tread on me logo.

I wish they had the whole shield, but this is a good start.

I love that campaign.

I love it too... but then they got treaded on, I figured they'd do away with it. Glad they didn't.

IUe6Hvh.png

Freaking awesome. I know what I'm wearing to work Wednesday...

I know some see the whole "DTOM" campaign as some shallow Nike-fying of the MNT, but I love it and wish the snake would be kept around. There's a solid historical basis in it, the slogan relates well to our position in the footballing world, and it would be very cool for the national team to eventually become affectionately known as "the rattlesnakes" rather than "the doormats."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Red is a pretty normal color for supporters to wear at USMNT games anyway, but it is interesting that Nike and US Soccer are playing it up so much.

I'll be there. (And have an extra ticket for the supporters' section, if anyone's interested.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do our third jerseys look like currently? I checked around and saw the home whites and road blues, but no thirds shown.

Assuming it's red, I hope the one time only DTOM jerseys worn for the sendoff game vs. Latvia in 2006 stays retired.

I spent some bucks on that one and want it to retain it's exclusive nature.

2170946060100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I, for one, find Nike's "Don't Tread On Me" logo to be nothing more than pandering pap.

Yes, I understand the significance behind the phrase - and the snake symbol - with regard to the Revolutionary period of our nation's history. Which is precisely why I find it so abhorent that a corporate entity such as Nike co-opted it in a bald-faced attempt to move merchandise.

US Soccer's current logo is far from perfect, but I'd rather wear it than Nike's "rad", "edgy" bastardization of our nation's heritage.

i agree with brian, but i do think a cleaner snake and ball logo would be a cool addition to the back collar/socks, but the badge logo itself is poorly executed. i am happy to see the red potentially coming back. US soccer has no identity, and traditionally very little red in their kits. Id like to see a red shirt, white shorts, and royal(maybe navy) socks be a primary kit.it would be much more recognizable than the current white home kits.

I, for one, find Nike's "Don't Tread On Me" logo to be nothing more than pandering pap.

Yes, I understand the significance behind the phrase - and the snake symbol - with regard to the Revolutionary period of our nation's history. Which is precisely why I find it so abhorent that a corporate entity such as Nike co-opted it in a bald-faced attempt to move merchandise.

US Soccer's current logo is far from perfect, but I'd rather wear it than Nike's "rad", "edgy" bastardization of our nation's heritage.

I don't quite understand. England uses the three lions from the Coat of Arms of England as a crest, Australia uses its national crest, Spain and Portugal use elements of their national flag, The Netherlands wears orange kits in honor of William of Orange, etc. This is our national team, and our crest/identity should be a reflection of symbols bearing a great deal of national pride.

Is your issue the fact that the logo/identity was Nike created? I, myself, would prefer if the crest had come from more "honorable" intentions than making a buck, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an appropriate identity for the US (in my opinion, of course). I wouldn't discount or do away with a logo, simply because it came from Nike.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I don't quite understand. England uses the three lions from the Coat of Arms of England as a crest, Australia uses its national crest, Spain and Portugal use elements of their national flag, The Netherlands wears orange kits in honor of William of Orange, etc.

Where exactly does the rattlesnake appear in the official crest of the United States of America? It doesn't. Therefore, comparisons to the situations that exist with the branding of the English, Australian, Spanish and Portuguese national teams don't make sense. As for the Dutch national team's use of orange in its kit, I have no problem with the U.S. national team incorporating colors from our flag - red included.

This is our national team, and our crest/identity should be a reflection of symbols bearing a great deal of national pride.

Most Americans have no idea that the rattlesnake was utilized as a symbol of honor during our nation's Revolutionary period, thus raising the issue of whether a significant amount of pride can be invested in a mark that few people know about. Further, said symbol has long since been supplanted by a host of other widely-recognized and accepted images, most notably the bald eagle and stars-and-stripes motifs.

Is your issue the fact that the logo/identity was Nike created? I, myself, would prefer if the crest had come from more "honorable" intentions than making a buck, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an appropriate identity for the US (in my opinion, of course). I wouldn't discount or do away with a logo, simply because it came from Nike.

My issue is that the primary reason Nike chose to utilize the rattlesnake imagery and "Don't Tread On Me" phrase had little - if anything - to do with pride in this comparitively little-known example of our nation's rich Revolutionary heritage. Rather, it was seized upon by Nike because their marketing personnel thought that it would strike consumers as "edgy", "hip" and "rad".

So what you're describing is essentially an educational problem? Simple - let the DTOM crest tell the story, and people will know what it stands for. Done.

As for the reasons why Nike chose it, I still fail to see the relevance. The DTOM crest is better than the miscolored stars and stripes currently in use, that's all that I really need to know.

Archived