Los Lakers special unis

scraw28

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for appealing to the Latino demographic-But if you're going to use Spanish unis, at LEAST translate the team's nickname! (like my Brewers do for "Cerveceros" day and the Giants did for "Gigantes" day)

In case you're wondering, the proper text would be LAGUNEROS.

bYhYmxh.png

I'm all for appealing to the Latino demographic-But if you're going to use Spanish unis, at LEAST translate the team's nickname! (like my Brewers do for "Cerveceros" day and the Giants did for "Gigantes" day)

Incorrect. I'm like 99 percent sure that the proper way to translate team names (on Spanish radio broadcasts etc) is to add Los in front of the team name, because it is a proper noun or something. Therefore, this is the way it is usually done.

Incorrect. I'm like 99 percent sure that the proper way to translate team names (on Spanish radio broadcasts etc) is to add Los in front of the team name, because it is a proper noun or something. Therefore, this is the way it is usually done.

No, he is correct. Notice what he said, the PROPER text would be, not the informal Spanish that is used. My observations of this is this that I found on a English-Spanish online translator: ¡menuda estupidez! For those that don't know, it means, "What a stupid thing to do." I'm talking about this promotion and everyone going Spanish. I don't hate Spanish people, I just hate complete moronic cash grabs such as this. I'm waiting for someone to do a "Black Jersey" for Black History month in the NBA. *rolls eyes*

No, he is correct. Notice what he said, the PROPER text would be, not the informal Spanish that is used.

I'm still pretty sure they would mainly be referred to as "Los Lakers" though. However, I could be wrong. If they are mainly referred to as "Los Lakers" then I think "LOS LAGUNEROS" would be more gimmicky and trying too hard.

I'm still pretty sure they would mainly be referred to as "Los Lakers" though. However, I could be wrong. If they are mainly referred to as "Los Lakers" then I think "LOS LAGUNEROS" would be more gimmicky and trying too hard.

Yes, the Lakers would be referred to as los Lakers in colloquial Spanish. That's not the point. The point is, if the team had a Spanish name, what would it be? Thus Gigantes or Cerveceros or Nacionales. Those are brilliant and fun even if you're a grumbling anti-immigrant xenophobe. Whereas the laziness of Los Lakers or Los Mets is cringe-inducing even if you're a pollyannish multiculti hippie.

Besides, "Los Luganeros" is just so darn cool. It's physically pleasurable to say out loud. A real shame they didn't put that on their jerseys for one night.

20082614447.png

So how the hell is this not trying to hard?

...because it's apparently what Spanish speakers call the Lakers. I see no problem with them celebrating their Spanish fanbase for one night.

They don't wear "The Lakers" on their Anglo jerseys. So "Los Lakers" is trying too hard.

I'm not a huge fan of translating the name like the Brewers and Giants do, but that seems a whole lot less gimmicky to me.

Yes, the Lakers would be referred to as los Lakers in colloquial Spanish. That's not the point. The point is, if the team had a Spanish name, what would it be? Thus Gigantes or Cerveceros or Nacionales. Those are brilliant and fun even if you're a grumbling anti-immigrant xenophobe. Whereas the laziness of Los Lakers or Los Mets is cringe-inducing even if you're a pollyannish multiculti hippie.

Besides, "Los Luganeros" is just so darn cool. It's physically pleasurable to say out loud. A real shame they didn't put that on their jerseys for one night.

That's a great idea! Whenever one of these threads pop up (like everytime a college tries to get rid of a grinning bright-red indian mascot), everyone posting should have to declare up front "grumbling xenaphobe" or "pollyannish hippy". That would save a lot of time. That way posters could dispence with the "I'm not a racist, but..." stuff before launching into a tired diatribe against "political correctness". :D

So how the hell is this not trying to hard?

...because it's apparently what Spanish speakers call the Lakers. I see no problem with them celebrating their Spanish fanbase for one night.

They don't wear "The Lakers" on their Anglo jerseys. So "Los Lakers" is trying too hard.

I'm not a huge fan of translating the name like the Brewers and Giants do, but that seems a whole lot less gimmicky to me.

It is not trying to hard, because if you have ever taken Spanish classes you would know that "Lakers" is the Spanish equivalent to "Los Lakers". It is not tacked on. It is the proper way to say "Lakers" in Spanish.

I'd actually prefer the use of "Los Laguneros". It's cool, I think.

Plus, if one was going with the city name and nickname in Spanish, would in not be "Los Laguneros de Cuidad de Los Angeles"?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Plus, if one was going with the city name and nickname in Spanish, would in not be "Los Laguneros de Cuidad de Los Angeles"?

It would be either that or "Los Laguneros del Ciudad de Los Angeles". I'm not sure which one would be correct.

Whenever one of these threads pop up (like everytime a college tries to get rid of a grinning bright-red indian mascot), everyone posting should have to declare up front "grumbling xenaphobe" or "pollyannish hippy". That would save a lot of time. That way posters could dispence with the "I'm not a racist, but..." stuff before launching into a tired diatribe against "political correctness". :D

In keeping with this innovative full-disclosure policy: multiculti, cosmopolitan, pot-smoking hippy here.

No, he is correct. Notice what he said, the PROPER text would be, not the informal Spanish that is used.

There is nothing wrong or even unusual with translating a proper noun; and an English-to-Spanish translation is also entirely appropriate. Spanish speakers call the Cubs "los Cachorros" and the Cardinals "los Cardenales". (Note: the Angels are called "los Serafines", not "los Ángeles".)

Furthermore, going in the other direction, many Latin American baseball teams are referred to in the English-language media by English-language versions of their names: Mexico City Reds = Diablos Rojos del México; Mexico City Tigers = Tigres del México; Santurce Crabbers = Cangrejeros de Santurce; Cibao Eagles = Aguilas Cibaeñas; Licey Tigers = Tigres del Licey.

So, really, the Cerveceros and the Gigantes got it exactly right.

It would be either that or "Los Laguneros del Ciudad de Los Angeles". I'm not sure which one would be correct.

"Los Laguneros del Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula"

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Spanish question: Wouldn't laguneros refer to men of a lagoon or marsh? Wouldn't the name be lagoneros?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

There were four NBA teams that did this last year: Los Lakers, El Heat, Los Suns, and Los Spurs. This season, four more have been added: Los Mavs, Los Rockets, Los Bulls, and Nueva York. In a study I read, it listed the percentage of fans that attend these teams' games that are hispanic. Much higher than I realized, actually:

San Antonio - 57%

Miami - 44%

LA - 36%

Phoenix - 28%

New York - 24%

Houston - 20%

Dallas - 20%

Chicago - 18%

Across the league, 13% of all NBA fans at games are Hispanic, much higher (almost double) than the other three major sports, plus nascar, all which hover aroun 7%. I figured MLB figures would be higher.

I'm not a big fan of these jerseys period.

It seems stupid to me. And as an Italian-American without a basketball team in his area, this doesn't make me care for basketball anymore. Seems like the NBA will sell out like this easily, and it alienates other groups of people.

Oh well, sports teams need more money. So whatever works.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived