Super Bowl logos appearing on rear bumper

mediocreguy

I was sitting on the internet the other day and I found someone had uploaded the entirety of Superbowl 32 onto youtube (which, I'm sure, will be found and deleted), and I remembered something that I'd forgotten in the 10+ years since: Before the helmet Super Bowl stickers were put on the back side, the logos were affixed centered on the rear helmet bumper. This just struck me as a nice, unobtrusive, symmetrical design element that I wish teams still did.

broncoshelmet.jpgpackershelmet.jpg

Please excuse the awesomeness that is youtube compression, but you can at least see what I'm talking about.

In fact, you can buy replica helmets with the SB logo on the rear: SB logo on rear bumper (Broncos)

When did they change this? I'm going to guess (completely unverified or researched) that it changed when they added the 9/11 stickers, and the teams wanted to balance that out with a helmet sticker?

Anyway, just a thought.

Not related to your post whatsoever, but w/r/t your signature, I just watched that episode this morning. It's the best episode of the Simpsons.

They're not the Dallas Cowboys...but it's a start...

i think the Broncos made the super bowl the following season after that episode aired.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Not related to your post whatsoever, but w/r/t your signature, I just watched that episode this morning. It's the best episode of the Simpsons.

i think the Broncos made the super bowl the following season after that episode aired.

They did.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

They did.

Homer must be a good owner then.

spacer.png

You just don't understand football, Marge.

Hammocks? Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

There's four places:

There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third...

There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too...

You got Put-Your-Butt-There, that's on third....

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... matter of fact they're all in the same complex, it's the hammock complex on third.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I think the Packers & Patriots had the Super Bowl logo on each side of their bumpers with team name in the middle. Also had "Pete" NFL logo for Pete Rozelle.

Actually, it was the team logo on one side of the bumper and the Super Bowl logo on the other. The "Pete" logo was off to the left of the bumper.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel used to have a great pic on their site, but with the recent redesign they have a lot of broken links....

photo6.jpgphoto82.jpg

For what it's worth, teams started wearing a Super Bowl patch the next year with Super Bowl XXXII.

Archived