Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

The quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League start tonight, & MLS's last rep standing in this competition (The Crew) are gonna face Toluca in the first of a two leg tie.

I just hope that Columbus does a decent job...though I doubt it since they're in preseason form & Toluca's already in the middle of their season.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down 2-0 in the first half, Columbus has tied Toluca 2-2 in the 83rd minute. I'm not sure if the Quaters for the CONCACAF Champion's League are determined by away aggregate or total aggregate, so the 2 away goals could be huge!

Yeah, the first half definitely had me thinking that the Crew were just gonna get blown away in this tie...but the 2nd half was a completely different story, Toluca made some terrible decisions in their own half of the field which led to Elnhart getting the Crew back in it & then using that momentum to tie it later. If it weren't for some terrible corners, the Crew could've definitely ended that game ahead by 1 or 2 goals.

Still, gonna be tough as hell to sustain that at Toluca. Still, I wish them the best of luck. Always good to see a U.S. team go far in the CCL.

According to the Wikipedia page for the tournament, the CCL does use the away goals rule for ties decided in 180 minutes. If there is extra time, the away goals scored there do not count towards the away-goals total.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Player's Rights and Compensation:

- Guaranteed contracts;

- Move more freely in league;

- Player compensation vastly increased; and

- Increased opportunities for League and Union to work cooperatively moving forward.

Player's Rights and Compensation:

- Guaranteed contracts;

- Move more freely in league;

- Player compensation vastly increased; and

- Increased opportunities for League and Union to work cooperatively moving forward.

I think the think I take away from this is the line from George H. Cohen, director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. He had to make both parties realize, "Western civilization does not hang in the balance,".

Meanwhile, Red Bull Arena opens up with what appears to be "a younger squad" from Santos. Thanks JPD, for telling me it's a basically B team and Robinho failed to make the trip.

The game is on MSG if you have it.

The finer details of the new CBA, per Soccer Insider (SI) on the Washington Post (WaPo):

The new collective bargaining agreement has yet to be ratified, but MLS announced some details Tuesday:

*As the Insider reported Saturday, the league has increased the salary cap by about $200,000 -- from $2.315 million per club in 2009 to $2.55 million in 2010, a 10.15 percent jump. It will rise 5 percent per year thereafter.

*Also confirming our earlier reports, the minimum salary for senior roster players will go from $34,000 to $40,000 in 2010 (a 17.64 percent increase) and rise 5 percent per year thereafter. There are no more developmental contracts, meaning everyone will earn at least $40,000.

*Players who are at least 24 years old and with three years of MLS service will have their contract guaranteed.

There's more.....

*Although the specifics of the re-entry draft have not been finalized, it will impact players who are:

-- at least 23 years old with three years of MLS service and whose option is not exercised. They will be made available to all clubs at the option salary.

-- at least 22 years old with one year of MLS service and who is asked to take a pay cut after contract termination. They will be made available to all clubs at his current salary.

-- at least 30 years old with eight years of MLS service and whose contract has expired. They will be placed in a re-entry draft unless his team makes him a qualified offer that must be at least 105 percent of his last salary. If placed in the re-entry draft, the player will be made available to all clubs at a salary equal to 105 percent of his last salary.

-- at least 25 years of age with at least four years of MLS service whose contract has expired. They will be placed in a re-entry draft unless his team offers him a base salary of at least as much as the base salary paid to him in the last year of his contract. If placed in the re-entry draft, the player will be made available to all clubs at a salary equal to the salary in the final year of his contract.

*The number of options in player contracts will be limited to two for players who are at least 25 years old with four years of MLS service. Contracts for all other players may have up to three options.

*For players whose annual compensation is less than $125,000, the minimum increase in base salary will be 10 percent for players who play in at least 66 percent of his club's games and 12.5 percent for players who play in at least 75 percent of his club's games.

*The benefits package will increase in 401(k) contributions by the league, appearance fees, per diem when travelling and relocation expense reimbursement. Among the additional player benefits in the CBA are full health care benefits for every player and his family at no cost, 401(k) contributions and expanded insurance benefits.

*The CBA includes a package of bonuses for wins in MLS games and international tournaments as well as appearance fees for international exhibitions.

*MLS and the union will establish a joint committee to study the re-launch of a reserve division. In the event the rosters are expanded, the salary for those players will be a minimum of $31,250 with additional annual increases.

Archived