What should the Lions do with the number 1 pick?

Saintsfan

Defense. If they want to be taken seriously, draft defense. The prior regime's attitude towards offense first got them into this situation. Defense wins championships. If they draft offense, then they prove that they haven't learned anything and they're the same organization with different names.

I seem to remember the Indy Colts having a similar philosophy a few years back. I'm not saying Matthew Stafford is Peyton Manning or anything, but I think you take a shot on the kid. No one is a guarantee, Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, Stafford...they're all risks.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah I think trading down is a non starter. The only available player with the impact to make it worth it would be Cutler but I don't see him wanting to play for the Lions, so I don't think trading down is an option.

I don't think they can trade down, either. But as far as Cutler goes, what's he going to do - sit out until 2013? He'd play for the Lions.

Draft Stafford.

Yeah, you want to throw the David Carr argument, and that's fine. However, the Falcons were in this very position a year ago.....drafting a rookie QB to play behind a line deemed to be terrible. Matt Ryan and the offensive line not only survived, but thrived.

Stafford is used to taking snaps under center, unlike Carr was when he played in college. Georgia didn't have the best of offensive lines last year, and Stafford still had an excellent statistical season. His only drawback is that he hasn't shown himself to pull off a comeback in the 4th quarter of games.

Actually the number 1 pick in 2008 was Jake Long to Miami. Ryan was the number 3 pick. If I were the Lions I would be much more enthusiastic about strengthening the either line than picking up a QB. I know one or two are sceptical about Culpepper under center, by I believe he is as good value as the Lions are going to get at QB, but as some other posters have said, doesn't matter who is at QB if the line is not good. Personally I still think they should go for Curry mind, pick up a tackle at 20, and see if they can't get a decent level QB at 33, or improve the defensive line there. Though I think there might be some value in picking up one of the top tackles first, then a decent linebacker or QB at 20.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah I think trading down is a non starter. The only available player with the impact to make it worth it would be Cutler but I don't see him wanting to play for the Lions, so I don't think trading down is an option.

I don't think they can trade down, either. But as far as Cutler goes, what's he going to do - sit out until 2013? He'd play for the Lions.

He's gonna get over himself and play for the Broncos.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Crabtree, just to piss everyone off...

Seriously though, Detroit has more needs than there are picks available. I'd say trade the number 1 pick (that nobody seems to want) and hopefully get a solid established player and a lower pick. Aim low, finish last, and get another high pick next year.

I seem to remember the Indy Colts having a similar philosophy a few years back. I'm not saying Matthew Stafford is Peyton Manning or anything, but I think you take a shot on the kid. No one is a guarantee, Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, Stafford...they're all risks.

Yea, but alot of first round bust QBs have gone on to cripple the franchise for the next couple of years. When you draft a QB you set up your whole future around him. If he fails, the team fails. If one Stafford or Sanchez seemed like safe pick, they should definitely take one of them. But both seem to be huge question marks, that I don't think are worth the risk. Besides it will take more than a year to rebuild the Lions. Might as well build up the rest of the team, then hope you have a chance for a franchise QB in next years draft (or by trade or free agency).

The Lions would be better off going with o-line (if they can't trade the pick), and then trying to make a trade for a young QB like Kevin Kolb. Unfortunately, the Eagles are bringing back that s--t bag McNabb, so he's not going to get his chance here. He has a lot of upside, and would likely only cost their good second round pick. It's not nearly the risk of the #1, so if he doesn't pan out, there isn't a huge investment (and they can always draft a QB next year if the right guy is there.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Draft Stafford.

Yeah, you want to throw the David Carr argument, and that's fine. However, the Falcons were in this very position a year ago.....drafting a rookie QB to play behind a line deemed to be terrible. Matt Ryan and the offensive line not only survived, but thrived.

Stafford is used to taking snaps under center, unlike Carr was when he played in college. Georgia didn't have the best of offensive lines last year, and Stafford still had an excellent statistical season. His only drawback is that he hasn't shown himself to pull off a comeback in the 4th quarter of games.

Actually the number 1 pick in 2008 was Jake Long to Miami. Ryan was the number 3 pick.

I know where he was picked.

The point is, instead of going with the safer pick and bolstering the defensive line (Glen Dorsey), the Falcons selected a QB, and just about everyone wasn't wanting Ryan to start because of the offensive line predicted to be lousy.

Plus, look at the other QB's in the NFC North and the division as a whole: They aren't that impressive. Stafford may not be Brady or P. Manning, but in that division, he doesn't have to be. Stafford can easily hold his own to the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Orton, and Tavaris Jackson.

The Lions would be better off going with o-line (if they can't trade the pick), and then trying to make a trade for a young QB like Kevin Kolb. Unfortunately, the Eagles are bringing back that s--t bag McNabb, so he's not going to get his chance here. He has a lot of upside, and would likely only cost their good second round pick. It's not nearly the risk of the #1, so if he doesn't pan out, there isn't a huge investment (and they can always draft a QB next year if the right guy is there.)

Ahh...nice one. I like that.

Look...I say Detroit treat this here as if they were an expansion team. Just start all the way over. They got players already. Build up that O-line as much as they can in this draft (don't mean all their picks have to be linemen, though). You can draft any "stud" or "semi-stud" Qb (or whover the hell Kiper and McShay are hyping up to be the next "it" boy at QB) you want, but if the dude can't stay on his feel long enough to get a pass off, let alone actually learn to read the field, it ain't gon do your "prize investment" no good (and lest's face it...a team drafts a QB that high, he may as well be considered such).

Actually, I'd do it this way: pick up Curry. If he pans out, he'll be a nice complement to Ernie Sims in the LB corps. Then build up the lines, either O or D (I'd say O). Like BBTV said, trade for a young QB with some potential. They've still got Stanton, correct? Let the dude learn a little bit more and see what he can do behind a well-built line. If he can't make the cut, switch him out for the young QB you just traded for, and see if he can help lead the team to some success.

Seems the last team I can remember that approached business that way had some pretty decent success--even made it within one game of the Super Bowl in their second year of playing (granted, they also had an expansion draft to help matters, but, still...)

If it worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars...why wouldn't it work for the Lions (stigma be damned)?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nice sell job there, but Kolb isn't worth a 4th-round pick right now, let alone #33...

Shhhhh....

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived