What should the Lions do with the number 1 pick?

Saintsfan

Here are my thoughts. Firstly, it sounds as if its not a good year to be looking to upgrade at QB. Even trading for Cutler gets you an apparently temperamental QB. Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman are all worthy guys, but any one of those is a big risk (given that they are all in the draft a year early to avoid the likes of a comparrison with Tebow, and others). And besides Daunte Culpepper is a decent enough QB, especially given he is linking up with Scott Linehan again. So QB is not a big priority if I am the Lions.

I think the offensive line is a problem area, but there seems to be real depth in that position this year, and with the 20th and 33rd picks that can be dealt with later. Basically I think this is a year when the Lions need to go for the best player in the draft with number 1, and the consensus on that appears to be Aaron Curry. I'd go for him. (Then again there are probably good reasons why I am not an NFL General Manager!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

#1: Daunte Culpepper is done. He will not get through more than half of the season. There's more than one reason as to why he retired:

1: Too injury prone for anybody to pick up.

2: He's done.

With that said, the Lions are definitely in a pickle. You're definitely right, this isn't the best year to pick up a QB from the draft...hell, this isn't the best year to pick up a QB period. However, this would be a good year to pickup an LT. The best way to build a team is from the inside out, and the Lions are incredibly weak inside out. They could draft a QB, but their QB will probably get killed, which is why it'd be best for them to pick up a lineman.

However...I'd try to trade down (even though nobody seems to want the #1 pick as well) and build with quantity. If I'd trade down within the 1st, then I'd take Sanchez (since I figure he's gonna go through a Brady Quinn-esque "AGONIZING WAIT") and then draft the best O-Lineman left in the 2nd.

I damn sure ain't a draft guru, though. So take what I just said with a grain of salt. Madden salt to be exact. :P

Here are my thoughts. Firstly, it sounds as if its not a good year to be looking to upgrade at QB. Even trading for Cutler gets you an apparently temperamental QB. Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman are all worthy guys, but any one of those is a big risk (given that they are all in the draft a year early to avoid the likes of a comparrison with Tebow, and others). And besides Daunte Culpepper is a decent enough QB, especially given he is linking up with Scott Linehan again. So QB is not a big priority if I am the Lions.

I think the offensive line is a problem area, but there seems to be real depth in that position this year, and with the 20th and 33rd picks that can be dealt with later. Basically I think this is a year when the Lions need to go for the best player in the draft with number 1, and the consensus on that appears to be Aaron Curry. I'd go for him. (Then again there are probably good reasons why I am not an NFL General Manager!)

A compairson with Tebow, hardly. Most draft/NFL analysts have Tebow as more of a TE/H-back.

Anyway, I'd be a douche and draft a WR.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

A compairson with Tebow, hardly. Most draft/NFL analysts have Tebow as more of a TE/H-back.

Anyway, I'd be a douche and draft a WR.

I agree lol

I think they should go after an Offensive Tackle with their first pick and go with Jason Smith. I see no need to draft Stafford with the first overall pick. He's a good quarterback, but not a great quarterback. This is definitely not the year for QB's this year. So my pick would either be Smith or Curry.

If I was them I'd trade down to get more picks late add that on with the picks you got for Roy Williams you build through the draft and the better players you draft will make your team a respectable asset so it will be more formidable for Free Agents to come in, and this team is maybe 3-5 years or longer out from actually contending for a playoff spot but if you see things in Sanchez or Stafford go for it but if I was the GM that's what I'd do.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

WR :P

But seriously, if they still have the #1 pick when the draft rolls around, I would say either Stafford or Curry. I'm not an expert on the Lions, so I don't know what their LB depth looks like, but Curry could be a dominant LB. Stafford has been very impressive thus far, and a young strong arm could really succeed in an offense led by Scott Linehan and passes being caught by Calvin Johnson.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

If I was them I'd trade down to get more picks late add that on with the picks you got for Roy Williams you build through the draft and the better players you draft will make your team a respectable asset so it will be more formidable for Free Agents to come in, and this team is maybe 3-5 years or longer out from actually contending for a playoff spot but if you see things in Sanchez or Stafford go for it but if I was the GM that's what I'd do.

It's impossible to trade down. The amount of money a top 5 draft pick commands destroys the pick's trade value. Thank God any future CBA will see a hard rookie salary structure.

Draft Crabtree...or Monroe....or Curry to get the Curryites in Ramland to STFU.

/Nobody wants the Rams' pick either for this very reason.

and a young strong arm could really succeed in an offense led by Scott Linehan

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah I think trading down is a non starter. The only available player with the impact to make it worth it would be Cutler but I don't see him wanting to play for the Lions, so I don't think trading down is an option.

I appreciate the OT argument, and moving forward that might be a good idea, but I sense that the only player worth getting really excited about in this years draft, going forward, is Curry, and that must count for something.

(Also if I was Stafford I am not sure I would want the glare of being a QB picked number 1. They have a very mixed reputation! For every Manning or Elway there is a Carr or Harrington)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I would take a Curry or an offensive tackle or a defensive tackle. I don't think Stafford is as good as ESPN is making him out to be and I don't think he is good enough to become the franchise quarterback of a team that is in desperate need of a new beginning. I say you build up the pieces around the future quarterback and pick one up next year or the year after.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

As one of our resident Lions fans, I'm not thrilled with the options this year. I don't want Stafford or Sanchez, and I've still got some hope for Drew Stanton as the team's future QB. I'd be fine with Aaron Curry as the #1 pick. He's one of few guys who'll make an immediate impact on the team. The versatility of Curry is really intriguing. Play him at LB, and the Lions have one HELL of a linebacker core. Sims, Curry, and Peterson sounds just fine to me. From what I've read, Curry can play DE as well. I'd safely assume he's an upgrade over the current starters (I think it's DeVries and White). BJ Raji's another option to bolster the line, but Curry looks to be the most talented guy on the board.

Another thing to remember is that the Lions have the #20 pick in the first round, plus the #1 in the second round. If they don't get Curry with the #1, the linebacker position's an option here with Maulaluga or Roadwarrior Buckeye. Then again, they could have a QB option here with Freeman or Sanchez, if he has a Quinn-esque wait. The Lions actually need another WR now, so I wouldn't be entirely upset to see a WR drafted. Obviously not a #1 overall or even the 20th or 33rd, but somewhere. Someone needs to compliment Calvin Johnson, and I just don't see anyone on their current depth chart as that guy.

Yes, but they can't get anything for the #1 pick. No one wants it. No one wanted it last year, either.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Yes, but they can't get anything for the #1 pick. No one wants it. No one wanted it last year, either.

But can they draft someone and then trade them? Like the Chargers did with Eli Manning. Everyone knew that Eli wasn't going to play for San Diego, but they draft him anyway then traded him a short while later (instead of just trading the pick). I really think that is the best option as for the Lions.

However if that is not possible, I'd probably draft Curry. He's the most likely to build a franchise around IMO. I really don't like any of the QBs in this draft. If I were the Lions I'd draft someone there later, such as Rhett Bomar, John Parker Wilson, or Rudy Carpenter.

But can they draft someone and then trade them? Like the Chargers did with Eli Manning. Everyone knew that Eli wasn't going to play for San Diego, but they draft him anyway then traded him a short while later (instead of just trading the pick). I really think that is the best option as for the Lions.

It doesn't matter who you pick-the fact that your pick will command a $50-$60 million contract without playing a NFL down is what makes the pick undesirable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think they should take Curry. He is the best option and the best fit for the Lions. His versatility puts him over everyone else. They can play him at linebacker and have a great linebacking core, or put him at DE and boost their line up a lot. After that I think they shoudl sure up their OL. It doesn't matter who's your QB, if he can't get up off the ground he isn't going to do anything.

jNTsTyQ.png

Draft Stafford.

Yeah, you want to throw the David Carr argument, and that's fine. However, the Falcons were in this very position a year ago.....drafting a rookie QB to play behind a line deemed to be terrible. Matt Ryan and the offensive line not only survived, but thrived.

Stafford is used to taking snaps under center, unlike Carr was when he played in college. Georgia didn't have the best of offensive lines last year, and Stafford still had an excellent statistical season. His only drawback is that he hasn't shown himself to pull off a comeback in the 4th quarter of games.

Archived