2009 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament Thread

RyanMcD29

Well it's that time of year folks from at least Long Island, the Baltimore area, and Central New York look foward to. It's the NCAA Lacrosse Tournament again and this year's looking like one of the most unpredictable yet.

Here's this year's bracket http://insidelacrosse.com/maymadness/2009_Bracket.pdf If your interested in watching the tournament all the 1st round games are on ESPNU and the Hopkins-Brown matchup is on ESPN2 tomorrow at Noon

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Why do my 2 favorite teams (ND and Maryland) have to play in the first round?

Oh well, whoever wins I'll be rooting for them to go the distance, and I'm ready to really tune into this for the first time. Should be a lot of fun.

6fQjS3M.png

D3 Bracket: http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bra...crosse_men.html

Cortland St. (my school) and Salisbury have met in the championship game the past three years with Salisbury winning two, and Cortland one.

I am guessing that nobody else cares about D3, but I thought I would put it out there.

D1 I am rooting for Cornell and 'Cuse. I really think Cuse can get it done again this year, they look great, a UVA-Cuse rematch would be great.

saBS.png

Well the tournament got off to an exciting start. Hopkins beats Brown 11-10 in overtime, and thus my bracket is saved from destruction (I have JHU upsetting UVA in the 2nd round. I still hate Hopkins though)

As for D3, I'm hoping Cortland wins it as well. I know a few people up there. As for me, I'm really looking foward to the Cornell-Hofstra game this evening as well as next week's games at Hofstra for the quarterfinals, as potentially it could be Cuse-ND and Princeton-Cornell, both awesome matchups that I have some personal connections to each of the 4 schools.

And of course on my bracket my champ's Syracuse. Like who else would I pick after getting accepted there? :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Well the tournament got off to an exciting start. Hopkins beats Brown 11-10 in overtime, and thus my bracket is saved from destruction (I have JHU upsetting UVA in the 2nd round. I still hate Hopkins though)

As for D3, I'm hoping Cortland wins it as well. I know a few people up there. As for me, I'm really looking foward to the Cornell-Hofstra game this evening as well as next week's games at Hofstra for the quarterfinals, as potentially it could be Cuse-ND and Princeton-Cornell, both awesome matchups that I have some personal connections to each of the 4 schools.

And of course on my bracket my champ's Syracuse. Like who else would I pick after getting accepted there? :P

Who do you know up here in Cortland? Are they freshmen?

That goal for Brown with :06 left was amazing. Too bad they lost.

As for D3, it is down to 8, Cortland (My school) will play WNEC (Patsox's school) on Wednesday in Cortland. Middlebury, Wesleyan(CT), Stevenson, Salisbury, Denison & Gettysburg also advanced to the quarterfinals.

saBS.png

Yeah I know 2 or 3 freshmen at Cortland as well as a few sophs.

Also an update from the remainder of Saturday's games

-UNC holds off UMBC to win 15-13

-Cornell beats Hofstra 11-8, which could mean an interesting Ivy League rematch with Princeton next round (interesting personal story about CU-PU I'll post if the Tigers beat UMass tomorrow)

-Duke wipes out Navy 14-5

ffMc5dZ.png

And one last post to wrap up the 1st weekend of the tournament

-Virginia dominates Villanova 18-6

-Princeton beats UMass 10-7

-Syracuse turns it up in the 4th quarter to beat Siena 11-4

So the quarterfinal round looks like this. All games will be on ESPNU

Saturday at Hempstead, NY (I'm gonna bring the camera with me to get some shots of these two games)

-5. Cornell vs. 4. Princeton 12 PM

-Maryland vs. 2. Syracuse 2 PM

Sunday at Annapolis, MD

-6. North Carolina vs. 3. Duke

-8. Johns Hopkins vs. 1. Virginia

Not sure on the times, I figure the Hopkins-Virginia game will have late slot

As you can see, a ton of rivalry matchups, plus Cornell-Princeton and JHU-UVA are rematches of earlier games played this season and UNC-Duke is a rematch of the ACC Championship Game and also the 3rd time the two teams face each other. Should be a fun weekend of lax next weekend

ffMc5dZ.png

Alright so another day down in the NCAA Tournament and half the final four's set. Syracuse beat Maryland (woo) and Cornell beat Princeton (yay and boo at the same time) at Hofstra today. I might've been on ESPN2 today holding up my signs (I was the guy with glasses on with a Paul Harris jersey) so maybe someone can let me know if I was on or not. Oh, and I got to high five Kenny Nims after the game

ffMc5dZ.png

Yikes, maybe not as many people follow college lacrosse as I thought around here. But the final four's set and I'm sure business will pick up here next weekend.

Virginia crushed Hopkins, which makes me very happy to have a final four without the Jays, while Duke held off a late UNC rally to win by 1.

The Final Four will be

Virginia vs. Cornell

Syracuse vs. Duke

Oughta be a good memorial day tournament. Oh, and with Hopkins out I gotta post this

One last thing, congrats Kevin, your Red Dragons are heading to Foxborough for the D-3 championship

ffMc5dZ.png

Yes, I watched the game online yesterday, Middlebury made it close in the first part of the 3rd Quarter, but Cortland completely dominated them in the late 3rd and 4th. Winning by a large margin. It is the 4th consecutive year that they are in the National Championship Game, finally not against the Salisbury Sea Gulls.

D3 National Championship Game

Gettysburg Bullets vs. Cortland State Red Dragons

@ Foxborough, MA

Sunday 5/24 Noon

CBS College Sports Network

Not to jinx it, but Central NY is doing pretty well this year in NCAA lacrosse. Cornell and Syracuse are in the semis in D1, Le Moyne is in the D2 National Championship game against C.W. Post, located on Long Island, and Cortland is in the D3 National Championship Game.

Syracuse (SU & Le Moyne), Cortland (Cortland) & Ithaca (Cornell) are a total of 50 miles apart on Interstate 81.

saBS.png

this is america's oldest athletic pasttime. beats baseball by about 300 years - and it's funny to see that only the states that had tribes known for lacrosse are the states that are still the only places where this odd game is played. the goalies in both box and outdoor lacrosse are totally weird. one doesn't even wear shinpads, while the other wears a 5 suitcases in his shirt. the only protection women have is a pair of antique glasses.

Cornell pulls off the upset and it isn't even close. 15-6 final sets up an all Central NY championship game.

Now for the funny stuff. As some of you know, I'm going to Syracuse next year. It just so happens my prom date's going to play women's hoops next year at....

Cornell

Now Cornell's my favorite NCAA Hockey school but come on, I'm not rooting against the Orange. The only scenario that would've made me think twice about rooting for Cuse would've been Princeton cause I'm close with two of their players' (Jimmy and Tommy Davis) family. And that personal connection I forgot to tell you about Cornell-Princeton is basically what I have said in this post. Plus add in the fact I was valentines with the sister of said Davis brothers, who's going to play at Princeton next year as well.

So basically, why did I have to pick my prom date and valentine to be two commits to rival lacrosse schools of Syracuse, no less one of them being their opponent in the national title game? :P

ffMc5dZ.png

D1: Syracuse (Central NY) vs. Cornell (Central NY)

D2: Le Moyne (Central NY) vs. C.W. Post (Long Island)

D3: Cortland (Central NY) vs. Gettysburg (PA)

So 4/6 of the finalists are from Central NY, the other two are 3-4 hours south and 3-4 hours southwest. Damn.

saBS.png

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw Cornell lead top seeded Virginia.

I want to see Cornell win because they are the Cinderella of this tourny. Nothing against the 'Cuse and their team, but I want to see Cinderella take home the title.

I don't know how much of a Cinderella Cornell really is. They are a damn good team.

Max Seibald is a freaking beast though.

And look out for that Ray Long kid they have from San Francisco. I played against him in a tournament out here in California. I played goalie, so I know full well what he's capable of.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

When is the final for this bad boy? They were showing the semi-finals on the Score yesterday, but I couldn't really watch them because I had to go to the Toronto FC game. I'd really like to watch the finals, assuming they're on the Score again.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived