St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

What I don't really get about the whole Limbaugh/Rams deal is it doesn't seem like he was that big a part of the package. So what was he doing there? Was he just a headline grabbing to get some publicity for the takeover attempt? If so it seems like he did his job.

I think Limbaugh was brought in for his deep pockets, and whatever media attention he could garner for the bid would be a bonus.

Still, an extremely dumb move on Checketts' part. Didn't he know with whom he was climbing into bed? The man is either a flat-out racist or, to give him the maximum benefit of the doubt, routinely says racist things as part of his radio act.

How on Earth did Checketts think Limbaugh would pass muster with the image-conscious NFL? That might be enough to kill his bid's chances even after tossing Limbaugh overboard - the stink lingers.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't really get about the whole Limbaugh/Rams deal is it doesn't seem like he was that big a part of the package. So what was he doing there? Was he just a headline grabbing to get some publicity for the takeover attempt? If so it seems like he did his job.

I think Limbaugh was brought in for his deep pockets, and whatever media attention he could garner for the bid would be a bonus.

Still, an extremely dumb move on Checketts' part. Didn't he know with whom he was climbing into bed? The man is either a flat-out racist or, to give him the maximum benefit of the doubt, routinely says racist things as part of his radio act.

How on Earth did Checketts think Limbaugh would pass muster with the image-conscious NFL? That might be enough to kill his bid's chances even after tossing Limbaugh overboard - the stink lingers.

See the issue I have is that Checketts has pretty big pockets himself, and was not slow to kick Limbaugh out of his group as soon as it was obvious Limbaugh was a problem, so didn't seem to need Limbaugh's money THAT much.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Rush was not to be the majority owner (the 30%) guy, or a chairman, or any of that. But he still had significant money, he still wanted to be part of an ownership group, and he was interested in keeping the team in St. Louis. That's why he was part of the group.

On one hand, it's crazy to me how much people flipped out over him having a minority stake, on the other hand, that's a significant portion of money Checketts will have to replace.

Lastly, I just think it should be noted that Rush fully disputes saying the last quote infrared presented, about slavery, and nobody has ever been able to pull proof of it happening. This week he's made references to the possibility of him suing over those statements being published, but I don't know if he'll follow through.

I know it sounds like I'm defending the guy, but I just hate illogical piling on. When there's so much out there to rag on him for, why exaggerate the other things?

I am disappointed that a guy with money, passion, and a desire to keep the team in St. Louis is out of the group. That's it.

Besides, even if he had unlimited wealth, rich guys don't tend to stay rich by using their own money. Stephen Spielberg has more money than Croesus, but never finances his own films.

He obviously wanted Limbaugh's pocketbook. But it shouldn't come as any surprise that he tossed him aside so quickly - even if he reaches a deal to buy the Rams he needs what, 24 owners to vote for him? Once Irsay came out publicly to say he'd never vote for a group which included Limbaugh, Checketts had no choice but to sever ties. He'll need to find another whale.

Fanatic, I know that having local owners is extremely appealing to you as a fan. But one cannot argue with a straight face that Limbaugh does not say racist things, even if he's trying to distance himself from one single comment. Now, we can argue whether or not he is actually a racist, or just plays one on the radio, or even whether such a distinction is meaningful. But there have been too many comments over the years to deny.

Well, if we're going to talk about the general laziness of people, then I'm right with you. Once a report gets out in the Ethernet, it's out there to be quoted and repeated.

But even taking those very few quotes out of it, Limbaugh is a racist. Or he plays one on radio. Either way, the NFL is far better off without him. So is Checketts, which is why he was so willing to toss his minority partner overboard.

Rush was not to be the majority owner (the 30%) guy, or a chairman, or any of that. But he still had significant money, he still wanted to be part of an ownership group, and he was interested in keeping the team in St. Louis. That's why he was part of the group.

On one hand, it's crazy to me how much people flipped out over him having a minority stake, on the other hand, that's a significant portion of money Checketts will have to replace.

Lastly, I just think it should be noted that Rush fully disputes saying the last quote infrared presented, about slavery, and nobody has ever been able to pull proof of it happening. This week he's made references to the possibility of him suing over those statements being published, but I don't know if he'll follow through.

I know it sounds like I'm defending the guy, but I just hate illogical piling on. When there's so much out there to rag on him for, why exaggerate the other things?

I am disappointed that a guy with money, passion, and a desire to keep the team in St. Louis is out of the group. That's it.

I will remove it.

BB52Big.jpg

Cool. I wasn't trying to call you out Infra. On a message board, you should be able to count on respected news sources to have accurate quotes.

It's those news sources that need to be questioned if the quote is indeed inaccurate.

All of this said about Checketts and Limbaugh... I don't really think that group, with or without Rush, was the favorite to win the bid anyways. My money is on wealthy unknowns (to the general public...wealthy people are usually known in some manner), OR on Stan Kroenke pulling something out at the last minute (he has that right). I DO believe they'll be St. Louis oriented buyers, though.

Cool. I wasn't trying to call you out Infra. On a message board, you should be able to count on respected news sources to have accurate quotes.

It's those news sources that need to be questioned if the quote is indeed inaccurate.

All of this said about Checketts and Limbaugh... I don't really think that group, with or without Rush, was the favorite to win the bid anyways. My money is on wealthy unknowns (to the general public...wealthy people are usually known in some manner), OR on Stan Kroenke pulling something out at the last minute (he has that right). I DO believe they'll be St. Louis oriented buyers, though.

No problem at all. If no one is sure that he did or did not actually say it then it needs to be removed. I should have double checked it to begin with. It's just such a famous Limbaugh "quote" that it never occurred to me it might not be legit. My bad. You were right to point it out.

BB52Big.jpg

Limbaugh responds.

Considering my utter dislike for Rush Limbaugh, one would think that I would enjoy seeing him basically humiliated in front of the entire football world. The truth is that I kind of feel bad for the guy. The people he seems to want to be around the most (sports figures and celebrities) don't want a damned thing to do with him. While Keith Olbermann was still at ESPN or maybe FOX Sports (I don't recall which) Limbaugh told him "What I would love more than anything is to do what you guys do." Rush got a shot at that and blew it the first day. The real power players in the GOP avoid Limbaugh like he's radioactive and most moderates either don't know a thing about him or view him as nothing more than "that guy on the radio."

I guess what I am trying to say is that here's a guy who busted his ass to be a success and he has all the money in the world. Yet the only people who seem to "really like him" are the people that in "real life" Rush Limbaugh would probably have nothing to do with; his listeners. Maybe I'm wrong but that's sure what it looks like and despite all my problems with the guy, I can't help but feel a little bit bad for him. He's the rich white dude that the other rich white dudes won't play with. Hell, Howard Stern as more credibility (and deservedly so) in the world of "the beautiful people."

My old boss in radio used to say that radio personalities were one step above rodeo clowns on the entertainment food chain. I guess that holds true even when you're Rush Limbaugh.

Just my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

So am I supposed to believe now that none of the other NFL owners have ever said something stupid, presumably racist, or something that came back to bite them? I strongly doubt that. Lot of BS self-righteousness going around methinks. Interesting contrast in the way owners view arrogant loudmouths, they're obviously not against it so much as to not give them millions of dollars.

The whole thing is interesting to me. You know the NFL is successful when it can pick and choose who is handing over hundreds of millions of dollars for a team! :shocked:

So am I supposed to believe now that none of the other NFL owners have ever said something stupid, presumably racist, or something that came back to bite them? I strongly doubt that. Lot of BS self-righteousness going around methinks. Interesting contrast in the way owners view arrogant loudmouths, they're obviously not against it so much as to not give them millions of dollars.

The whole thing is interesting to me. You know the NFL is successful when it can pick and choose who is handing over hundreds of millions of dollars for a team! :shocked:

O/T I guess that means the NHL is successful as well.

-------------------------------------------------------

Unfair as it may be, there is a difference between a few incidents that may or may not have gone reported, and making one's entire career out of saying things that are incendiary. Perhaps Limbaugh and Balsillie should get together and start their own league.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In a league where revenues are shared, and each team's financial success or failure directly impacts every other team, goddam right the other owners have a right to pick and choose who is qualified to buy in to a franchise. Once someone is in there, it's nearly impossible to get them out, so they have every right in the world to vet potential members as strictly as they want.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A post from redstate.com yesterday.

Tonight...We Are All Rush Limbaugh

Earlier this evening, as most of you now know, one of our own, Rush Hudson Limbaugh, while taking withering fire, crashed and burned.

Tonight, Rush is no longer ?just? a radio personality.

Tonight, Rush is no longer ?just? a NFL owner denied

Tonight, Rush is us. And we are him.

Tonight Rush became the metaphor for all of us? every man woman and child in this great nation of ours.

The enemy of this great nation, the enemy of you and me, Rush?s enemy? those on the left, inside and outside of this nation abhor success? and when faced with it will destroy it? by any and all means possible.

We all have our dreams in life? such as they might be. Rush dreamed of being an owner in the NFL.

Tonight the left proved that they will stop at nothing to end our dreams. Our dreams of success and happiness devastate their need to dominate and control you and me? and well everything and everyone.

Chrysler bondholders

GM dealers

Bankers and stockbrokers

Small business owners

Medical Doctors

Oppressed people wanting freedom around the world

The left can not and will not allow anyone to realize their dreams

Tonight a light went out? a dream died? it died from political correctness

Tonight we are under withering fire, we on the right those in the middle,

Tonight our values are under withering fire, those thoughts ideas and dreams that made this great nation are under withering fire

Will your light of your dreams be next?

Will my dreams be next?

*fill in obligatory comment about Rams killing dreams for most of the 2000s here*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is so much cr*p coming from the right about all of this now. First off lets remember what has happened. Limbaugh was threatening Checketts deal, so Checketts dropped him from his consortium. As I understand it, it wasn't the NFL that did anything, or the government, or anyone else, except for Checketts.

Now there is a difference between Limbaugh making a living out of saying controversial things, and an NFL owner saying something a bit half arsed. You want evidence of why Limbaugh would be a problem for the NFL, just look at the reaction from places like redstate.com. Every decision the Rams made would be dealt with in exactly the same way. What if Limbaugh made some comment on his show about the Rooney Rule being a problem?

Also, lets just remember who these NFL owners, who apparently were against Limbaugh coming into the league are. These are almost to a man Republicans. Its not like some plot against the GOP is going on here. Commissioner Goodell's own father was a GOP Senator.

Seriously, IMO this whole 'your either with us or against us' mentallity is killing political discourse in the USA, and risks all civil discourse in the US.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived