Humpback Whale logo

Cola

Well lately I have been busy with more business-focused design and I felt like I needed some kind of outlet...so I went to the drawing board with a sports logo.

Now, I did a humpback whale because simply...I have never really seen a humpback whale logo done before or whales in general. Right now I am obviously having a color scheme issue- can't decide.

Also, I had a suggestion from someone to alter the underbelly of the humpback whale (last row)...just in case people don't immediately recognize that it's a humpback. Did this help or was it generally unnecessary?

Other than that, any C&C or suggestions from you guys to make it a tad better? I kind of threw the wordmark together but I think it could work- I wanted water splashes around the tail, but they looked odd. Even thought of having water blowing out from the top of the wordmark above the "HUM", just an idea.

HumpbackWhale_CC.jpg

bottom left is the best in my opinion. but the wordmark with the fins looks more like a plant sprouting than a whale tail

here is an example of the tail

322908-FB.jpg

and for the general logo: i like it alot , i dont think the thick outline is needed

humpbackwhale.gif

whale_humpback.gif

Cool concept.

I prefer the bottom left one, since it has the belly ridges that are so prominent on humpbacks. For the colors, I like the gray or light blue. But as jlentz said, you don't need the extra outline. It just muddles things. And the far-side fin should be white, since the underside is what's showing.

i like the blue and orange. reminds me of hawaii... the Hawaii Humpbacks. There you go.

the dark blue and grey seems more like a new england thing, if the Whalers moved back to Hartford, that would be a sweet alternate or primary. same goes for the dark green and blue.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

Love the charcoal and gold one. Light blue and orange is a close second.

I think the whale's right fin (back) could be improved a bit. I mean I don't like how there's a line completely separating it from the rest of the tail. I think if you had it partially covered up, like have the outline of the tail go kind of halfway through the back fin. Hard to explain.

Same goes for the tail on the wordmark.

The eye should be a bit bigger. Kind of hard to see now (no pun intended).

I think if you made that right back fin a little smaller and moved it down it'd look better. Now it looks like the whole whale is seen from a side profile, but the tail is completely turned over and you can see both fins perfectly. Change the back fin and it'll add some more consistency to the depth.

Good font choice, I used it for my personal logo :P

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

This could become a hartford whalers rebrand using the blue and green color scheme. I think the ridges on the belly looks better. I don't think their should be a line separating the tail completely on the wordmark and main logo. I think this is a good concept so far.

detsig.png

Such a saaaaaad whale. There's gotta be a better way to execute the mouth.

well, that is the shape of a humpback's mouth...so kind of hard to deviate from that without distorting what the whale is- I think it is a distinct feature of the animal. Also, it would kind of take away from the natural flow of the design to have it going another direction- don't you think?

Your late update is the best yet. I agree with chestnutz that something wasn't quite right with tail fin in your original posting but I think you got it right this time.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

This could become a hartford whalers rebrand using the blue and green color scheme.
Such a saaaaaad whale. There's gotta be a better way to execute the mouth.

It would be appropriate for a Whalers logo to look sad, wouldn't it? Poor little guy just doesn't want to be hunted, and quite frankly, I don't blame him. :(

Okay, seriously, I'm trying to figure out how to keep it from looking so sad. Maybe have the mouth curve back and blend into the belly ridges like on the humpback photos jlentz posted. I also think the larger eye might have something to do with it. The eyes of a real humpback are really difficult to make out. Making the eye white and stand out more makes it look slightly more "human" and makes it easier to interpret the whale's facial shape as a frown.

Okay slight update (ignore color scheme- random):

- changed tail area

- removed outline

- increased eye size

- used underbelly with lines

HawaiiHumpback.jpg

you can credit me for the name :D I like your update on this it looks nice.

edit: Honolulu sounds/ rolls off the tongue better ^_^

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

I love the update, though the original was well executed as well. Since everyone keeps mentioning it, what IS the font you used? I have seen it in several places lately myself, most notably the header of puckdrawn.com. I have one called "defatted milk" that looks close, though I dont think it's exact.....

UJ

I love the update, though the original was well executed as well. Since everyone keeps mentioning it, what IS the font you used? I have seen it in several places lately myself, most notably the header of puckdrawn.com. I have one called "defatted milk" that looks close, though I dont think it's exact.....

UJ

Aldo...it was just a random font I came across on a font site, but apparently is popular right now haha

If there isn't a team already named the "Honolulu Humpbacks"...Then there damn well should be. This logo isn't a fluke (that was bad), it's good. It's got movement and depth. He'd look good swimming up from under the letter "H", with his tail still behind in shadow.

Seems like you figured this out very well. The update is right on point. There is something about those fins(or whatever they are technically called) though, they seem to be wanting to grab something. There isn't much you can do about it, but it looks like 30% odd to me, not a big deal. As far as colors go, I'd go with a Gray whale, Black outline, and Light Blue belly.

Archived