09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toronto may get Chris Neal after all...they're making a push to be the bad boys of the league!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283465

Colton Orr, Ryan Hollweg, AND Chris Neal?

Im pretty sure Hollweg is an RFA and they didnt tender him a qualifying offer.

I wanted them to sign Neil. But now that we have Orr and Exelby, we have enough guys who can fight. If we didnt sign Orr I would have jumped on the chance to get Neil but now I dont know. How many boneheaded tough guys do we need? We went from a bunch of softies to one of the toughest teams in the league lol...pretty soon we'll have guys like Neil on the first line.

This team is just starting to look like the late 90's early 2000's Leafs.

Hi, how are you?

Well, we were a pretty good team back in the late 90's and early 2000's. We reached the East Finals twice from '99 to '02.

I hope this team that Burke is assembling now we'll become better than that (just make the playoffs first!) but Im not feeling your comparison. I dont see much similarities between the teams back than and now.

Back than we had Cujo, a legit #1. Now we have Toskala who isnt a bad goalie, but he's not great. We also had a legit NHL superstar in Mats Sundin. Now we barely have a top 6 forward.

So could you explain where you see similarities?

beLEAF

Wow, 5 years at 5.75 million per season. Thats a nice fit for the Rangers.

Sather is looking like a smart man. Dumping Gomez at 7.5 million and getting 3 prospects and Higgins. Now he signs Gaborik, who when healthy is a 40 goal scorer and point per game player for under 6 million.

Montreal, how does that feel knowing that Gaborik signed for under 6 million and you got Gomez for 7.5 in a deal that traded away 2 solid prospects.

Nice pickup NYR.

beLEAF

So this means the big fish are all wrapped up but it you include some big old fish future HoF's in Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin and Alex Kovelev are still floating around but Sakic and Sundin could retire if nothing is out there.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well Havlat, Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu are still around.

TSN just corrected the Gaborik signing. Its not 5.75 million, its 7.5 million per season.

I wouldnt pay 7.5 for Gaborik due to health concerns but when healthy he is quite the player.

beLEAF

Well Havlat, Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu are still around.

TSN just corrected the Gaborik signing. Its not 5.75 million, its 7.5 million per season.

I wouldnt pay 7.5 for Gaborik due to health concerns but when healthy he is quite the player.

Forgot about Havlat I'm sure Talin is working is a$$ off trying to get him back but they don't have a great cap number after Hossa's monstrous deal.

I could see Tanguay and Koivu both playing in Minnesota or LA. both haven't done a thing today.

Well, we were a pretty good team back in the late 90's and early 2000's. We reached the East Finals twice from '99 to '02.

I hope this team that Burke is assembling now we'll become better than that (just make the playoffs first!) but Im not feeling your comparison. I dont see much similarities between the teams back than and now.

Back than we had Cujo, a legit #1. Now we have Toskala who isnt a bad goalie, but he's not great. We also had a legit NHL superstar in Mats Sundin. Now we barely have a top 6 forward.

So could you explain where you see similarities?

I said "just starting to look". Like just a little comparison, I'm not saying Carbon copies :P .

You were talking about how you had Orr, Hollweg and the possibility of Neil, and mentioned how it was just boneheaded brutes. That's where I made the comparison.

Hi, how are you?

Brian Gionta to the Habs, 5 years, 5 million per season.

Wow, they overpaid again. Gionta had 60 points last season and he's getting 5 million?

Also, Chris Neil back with Ottawa. 4 years, 2 million per.

beLEAF

Wow, whats going on with Montreal? Can't get any star players so over pay for what ever you can get?

Is Vancouver going to do anything seeing as Calagary and Edmonton got better?

What about Detroit? Chicago and Columbus improved are they going to stand pat?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Wow, whats going on with Montreal? Can't get any star players so over pay for what ever you can get?

-Dan

I think it's coming to that time for Detroit this coming year could be the passing of the torch to Chicago who knows that and they have less money then Calgary haha.

Van-City has 9 mill under the cap they've lost out on Cammy and Gabby I can Tanguay there possibly.

Out of whats left, I wouldnt mind seeing the Leafs grab Tanguay. At least we would have 1 legit top 6, and maybe even a top 3 forward.

Tanguay isnt really a gritty player so who knows if Burke will even talk to him.

beLEAF

-Dan

I'd like to see Vancouver go after some of the middle tier RFAs. Beauchemin or Scuderi would be great D pick ups. A top six forward would be nice, but I don't know if they have the dollars to spend on guys like Havlat, Kovalev or Tanguay. I'm guessing its the same forward crew as last year, with Cody Hodgson replacing Sundin, Grabner getting an audition with the big club, and Schneider backing up Loungo. Small scale youth movement.

Archived