09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

The Blue Jackets were relatively quiet this year, but it doesn't mean they did nothing. They picked up Mathieu Garon as a steady backup for Steve Mason. I'm pleased that Mason now has a more reliable backup than Wade Dubielewicz and it'll help take some of the stress off of the starting goaltender. Mason showed obvious signs of fatigue at the end of last season and in the series against Detroit because Hitchcock literally couldn't afford not to play him down the stretch. This signing eases that and it also probably means a Dan Lacosta trade sometime soon. The terms of the deal are something like 1.25 mil per year for two years. I'm not big on paying backups that much, but oh well.

They also picked up Sami Pahlsson for 3 years at 2.65 million a year. He'll be a quality third line center which likely means one of my favorite players, Manny Malhotra, will not be resigned, but Pahlsson's the better player if we're being honest. It'll suck to see Malhotra go because outside of Rick Nash, he's been Mr. Blue Jacket around town.

I trust Scott Howson, he's patient, he doesn't flip out like Maclean used to or give the players the "my way or the highway" speech the second they stepped in the door, and he's building the team the way you should. If I could put his name on a jersey and wear it, I would.

From what I've heard Manny and the Jackets were on opposite ends of the world. Also, I don't think we need to do much (other than re-sign Nash) for the simple fact that the young guys will get better in the next few years. After next season Nash, Modin, Vermette, Torres, Brassard, Boll, Rusty, and Russel's contracts are all up so we'll need to resign them.

Also, similar to last year if we sit back and wait for teams to realize they're outta cap room maybe we can get a steal.

I really wasn't expecting much this year in terms of free agent signings, but I was saying that Howson always makes moves in the right direction. As for the free agents after this year, I'd expect to see Torres, Klesla and Modin hit the road. We absolutely need Rick Nash, Vermette and Brassard (Rick Nash's long-awaited #1 center) to re-sign and Chris Russell is the next Scott Neidermayer so I'd love to retain him.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this was mentioned a few posts back, but if Komisarek was going to leave the Habs, I couldn't of picked a better team for him to go to. Here's to Lucic beating the crap out of Komisarek (again, and again, and again) all next season... as a Leaf! Without the B's making a significant move today, I still consider this a win.

Good to see Boston resign Bitz who played like a stud late in the season, and re-upping Boychuk for another season. I'm anxious to see what he can do next year.

This little Steve Begin snippet on switching from the Habs to the Bruins really sums up everything, "I'm on the right side now."

Wernt the Kings supposed to be major players today?

-Dan

No. Go to the Kings site and watch the Dean Lombardi interview. And besides the guys on the broadcast I was listening to on NHL.com said that sometimes Day 1 and 2 signings are the worst signings out there and teams that don't sign players are better off. Why be stuck with some of these ridiculous contracts when you have talent in your system and I'm not just talking about the Kings but teams in general. Dean Lombardi has stated that a player has to fit, not only on the ice, but financially also. It'd be stupid to sign one of these "big time" free agents and then in a year or two have to send talent away or let talent go because you signed a stupid contract because you had to sign a player on day 1 or 2 of free agency. Did either Detroit or Pittsburgh the year they won the Cup go out and sign a big time free agent? I don't know. Look at the teams that have signed multiple free agents and most of them are filling holes in their team, and noticed what I said, "holes". Most of these teams are trying to plug multiple holes and that's why they aren't Cup contenders. Look at Pittsburgh and Detroit, they plug their holes from within. It's not who you sign on the first day of free agency, but the quality of the signing. I look at the free agent forwards that would fit the age of what I know that Dean Lombardi is looking at and none of the big names fit as they are usually 28 or older. The Sedins would've fit, but they never made it to free agency, and past that I'm not wasting a roster spot for a 34 year old who has maybe two years. The only free agent out there that interests me is Francois Beauchemin, but other than that it's just a bunch of parts and pieces players.

Wernt the Kings supposed to be major players today?

-Dan

No. Go to the Kings site and watch the Dean Lombardi interview. And besides the guys on the broadcast I was listening to on NHL.com said that sometimes Day 1 and 2 signings are the worst signings out there and teams that don't sign players are better off. Why be stuck with some of these ridiculous contracts when you have talent in your system and I'm not just talking about the Kings but teams in general. Dean Lombardi has stated that a player has to fit, not only on the ice, but financially also. It'd be stupid to sign one of these "big time" free agents and then in a year or two have to send talent away or let talent go because you signed a stupid contract because you had to sign a player on day 1 or 2 of free agency. Did either Detroit or Pittsburgh the year they won the Cup go out and sign a big time free agent? I don't know. Look at the teams that have signed multiple free agents and most of them are filling holes in their team, and noticed what I said, "holes". Most of these teams are trying to plug multiple holes and that's why they aren't Cup contenders. Look at Pittsburgh and Detroit, they plug their holes from within. It's not who you sign on the first day of free agency, but the quality of the signing. I look at the free agent forwards that would fit the age of what I know that Dean Lombardi is looking at and none of the big names fit as they are usually 28 or older. The Sedins would've fit, but they never made it to free agency, and past that I'm not wasting a roster spot for a 34 year old who has maybe two years. The only free agent out there that interests me is Francois Beauchemin, but other than that it's just a bunch of parts and pieces players.

So, hoping for 13th place this year, or playing it conservative and just hoping to edge out the Coyotes?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow where are the "big changes" for the Sharks?

The Sharks have little to no money between themselves and the cap.

Your 08-09 Sharks will be the 09-10 Sharks... enjoy! :D

And I agree with oddball to a point. I'm kind of happy to see the Ducks didn't do much on Day 1. They have to be smart with their money, and we have few needs really. The Ducks can't afford to overpay on a contract or throw some silly 12-year bananas out there.

A 2nd line center would be extremely nice to center Lupul/Ryan and Selanne. I wanted Cammeleri, but he's off the books now. I'm still holding out for the possibility of Saku Koivu, because apparently him and The Finnish Flash are buddies and have talked about it.

I'd also like to keep Beauchemin really badly. I hope the longer he goes the farther his salary goes down. If he were to come back to Anaheim, it'll have to be below his supposed $4+ million asking price. I could easily see him getting $4-5 million elsewhere though. I've heard Montreal has a real hard-on for him, and he'd like to play for his childhood team.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Thoughts/Concerns:

- 6 years at $30 mill to an injury prone Havlat is a lot and a big risk.

- I didn't know the Devils are in rebuilding mode.

- Flames have about $3.5 mill to play with, but can they cover all their RFAs?

- Do the Avs have a #1 Goalie in Anderson?

- I don't believe the money the Canadiens have spent on the UFAs is worth the investments.

- Tough and rugged? The Maple Leafs are becoming the Anaheim Ducks, circa 2006.

Adrian Aucoin to PHX.

Thoughts/Concerns:

- 6 years at $30 mill to an injury prone Havlat is a lot and a big risk.

- I didn't know the Devils are in rebuilding mode.

- Flames have about $3.5 mill to play with, but can they cover all their RFAs?

- Do the Avs have a #1 Goalie in Anderson?

- I don't believe the money the Canadiens have spent on the UFAs is worth the investments.

- Tough and rugged? The Maple Leafs are becoming the Anaheim Ducks, circa 2006.

Adrian Aucoin to PHX.

We have to worry about getting Dustin Boyd back with what money we have left and that should be the end of it all, Great to see Adrian find a team, and he'll have 2 former Flames there with him.

And is it just me or are the Bruins -799.000 in Cap Space.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_crunch.php

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I dont understand why the Hawks signed Hossa for 12 years. Do they expect him to produce when he's over 40?

My brother said theres some weird loophole in the CBA that that the Hawks are taking advantage of by doing that because they know he wont play the full 12. I forget exactly how it went, though. Something about they somehow get away with not paying as much as the contract says if he retires mid-contract or something.

The idea with the long term deals is based on the following: Cap hit of a contract is based on the average salary over the length of the contract. So, if you sign someone to a long contract, you bring down the cap hit dramatically. Often the deals are front loaded with the players making say, 7 million for the first five years, and then 1 million for the last few years of the deal, just to grab random numbers. Theoretically, you could sign a player to a 30 year contract if you wanted. With the long term deals, there's often a tacit understanding between the player and the team that the player won't actually play the whole length of the contract, they'll retire or go back to Europe, or whatever.

I won't be at all surprised if they plug this hole in the next CBA.

I know this was mentioned a few posts back, but if Komisarek was going to leave the Habs, I couldn't of picked a better team for him to go to. Here's to Lucic beating the crap out of Komisarek (again, and again, and again) all next season... as a Leaf! Without the B's making a significant move today, I still consider this a win.

Good to see Boston resign Bitz who played like a stud late in the season, and re-upping Boychuk for another season. I'm anxious to see what he can do next year.

This little Steve Begin snippet on switching from the Habs to the Bruins really sums up everything, "I'm on the right side now."

That's exactly what I thought. Hopefully, now we can combine

and
, two of the most exciting things I have ever seen in hockey. :D

Wow where are the "big changes" for the Sharks?

The Sharks have little to no money between themselves and the cap.

Your 08-09 Sharks will be the 09-10 Sharks... enjoy! :D

And I agree with oddball to a point. I'm kind of happy to see the Ducks didn't do much on Day 1. They have to be smart with their money, and we have few needs really. The Ducks can't afford to overpay on a contract or throw some silly 12-year bananas out there.

A 2nd line center would be extremely nice to center Lupul/Ryan and Selanne. I wanted Cammeleri, but he's off the books now. I'm still holding out for the possibility of Saku Koivu, because apparently him and The Finnish Flash are buddies and have talked about it.

I'd also like to keep Beauchemin really badly. I hope the longer he goes the farther his salary goes down. If he were to come back to Anaheim, it'll have to be below his supposed $4+ million asking price. I could easily see him getting $4-5 million elsewhere though. I've heard Montreal has a real hard-on for him, and he'd like to play for his childhood team.

I will be the first one to say that I think what the Ducks have done is absolutely brilliant. They trade Pronger and pick up Lupol and made out like bandits, and resigned the people they had to resign. Whether they sign Beauchemin or not, they are still one of the top teams. Also remember they have two very quality goaltenders. I'm not totally sure what the Ducks have in young defensemen, but remember this is the same squad that pushed the Red Wings to 7 games.

As far as the Scuderi signing, it looks to me like bringing in some championship leadership along with the possibility of a precursor to a trade of draft picks and a young defenseman for a sniper which they could use.

Sodboy, for a team that drafted two slots behind the Kings and your big moves were a big defenseman and a 3rd line winger. Have fun watching your team draft in the top 10 next year and forever. Brian Burke is horrible at the draft, so you can continue to sign your 3rd line big tough wingers while the Kings continue to develop their young team. Oh yeah, and in 3 or so years have fun watching your new GM transition from the Burke era and you'll still be drafting top 10 and looking for an identity.

Scuderi to the Kings. 4 years/3.4 million per.

Finally somebody. Kings need help in a few different areas, and defense is one of them, but they're definitely headed in the right direction. A good veteran like him is a nice thing to pick up. Handzus at 32, Ivanans at 30, and Sean O'Donnell at 37--who has kind of lost it over the last couple years--are the only guys they have over 30. Scuderi will have to take on a big leadership role. Lots of potential I think with this young team.

teamsnew2.png

does anyone know when the 09/10 schedule comes out.

thanks

Last year it came out on July 14th so I'd assume within the next two weeks, the TV Schedule usually a month later.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived