09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My God, stop the fighting! All this Sharks vs. Sens bickering is uncalled for. The Sharks are the Sens' Western Conference brothers.

- Both teams came into the NHL during the early 90's expansion frenzy.

- Both teams have a good fanbase.

- Both teams have been labeled playoff chokers. (Unfairly, IMHO)

- Both teams marked a return of the NHL to a market where they had already been. (California Golden Seals, Original Ottawa Senators)

- Both teams have had Pat Falloon.

- Both teams have a nickname starting with an "S". (Now I'm stretching it)

thecatch.jpg

My God, stop the fighting! All this Sharks vs. Sens bickering is uncalled for. The Sharks are the Sens' Western Conference brothers.

- Both teams marked a return of the NHL to a market where they had already been. (California Golden Seals, Original Ottawa Senators)

And they have how many Stanley Cups between them...?

Eleven. ^_^

One day, we'll show you. ONE DAY WE'LL SHOW ALL OF YOU!!! (Maniacal laughter)

thecatch.jpg

As the shoulder logo so kindly reminds us about the MODERN team...

0-Cups.jpg

^_^

But seriously, Thornton > Spezza. Not because I am bias, but because Thornton has been consistent for a heck of a lot longer and has turned some mediocre scorers (like Cheechoo) into very good ones. Imagine how he will do with an actual gun on his wing.

I do feel Alfredsson is a hell of a lot better than Setogutchi at this point.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

0-Cups.jpg

^_^

But seriously, Thornton > Spezza. Not because I am bias, but because Thornton has been consistent for a heck of a lot longer and has turned some mediocre scorers (like Cheechoo) into very good ones. Imagine how he will do with an actual gun on his wing.

I hope your kids turn out to be HUGE Senators fans. That would be sweet justice.

thecatch.jpg

0-Cups.jpg

^_^

I hope your kids turn out to be HUGE Senators fans. That would be sweet justice.

Hey, I paid ONE compliment, give me SOME credit. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

What fighting? I was talking about L.A. vs. San Jose. That, and I compared the two top lines. I don't see any bickering.

...Did Neon just say Alfredsson was actually better than someone?! :blink:

Hi, how are you?

...Did Neon just say Alfredsson was actually better than someone?! :blink:

If Setoguchi ever gets traded to Toronto, then he'll say that Setoguchi > Alfredsson.

For now, it's Any Maple Leaf > Alfredsson > Setoguchi... :P

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Granted he is chasing down (or at least trying to) Pavel Datsyuk it looks like Wing fans can expect a lot of hooking/holding/obstruction penalties out of old Bert this year.

]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/stcharger/Slowbert.jpg

-Dan

I love the file name. And stupid lazy penalties are a Bertuzzi speciality. Also featured, playing smaller than his size.

So, I'm pretty optimistic about the Canucks this year, its refreshing to have so much competition for jobs in their training camp. I'm also intrigued to see what Sergei Shirikov can do against real NHL players. The guy lead his KHL team in scoring last year, and it would be awesome for an upper round pick like him to turn into a quality NHLer.

Granted he is chasing down (or at least trying to) Pavel Datsyuk it looks like Wing fans can expect a lot of hooking/holding/obstruction penalties out of old Bert this year.

]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/stcharger/Slowbert.jpg

-Dan

I love the file name. And stupid lazy penalties are a Bertuzzi speciality. Also featured, playing smaller than his size.

So, I'm pretty optimistic about the Canucks this year, its refreshing to have so much competition for jobs in their training camp. I'm also intrigued to see what Sergei Shirikov can do against real NHL players. The guy lead his KHL team in scoring last year, and it would be awesome for an upper round pick like him to turn into a quality NHLer.

Except for the fact Shirokov was a 6th rounder. Remember another Russian 6th rounder the Canucks chose in the past? The Russian Rocket.

If he is anything like Bure then it will be awesome, but it seems he only came over because the KHL suspended him for this season over contract issues.

8prlQWA.png

Hey, I paid ONE compliment, give me SOME credit. :P

Yeah, I noticed and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Your rampant homerism has been curbed to a somewhat accpetable level.

Baby steps, Neon Matrix, baby steps. :)

I'm learning to pick my battles with a little more discrimination... no longer just jumping into a pile with guns-a-blazin'! :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

They leafs should trade Toskala, Van Ryn, and Finger too. Burke should go after 3 guys. Shea Weber, Brandon Sutter and Brayden Schenn.

If you had any of those three guys (Weber, Sutter, Schenn) on your roster, would you trade them? Probably not.

Josh has shown us on numerous occasions that logic, sense, and facts aren't his strong suits when considering Leaf transactions. In other words, he is the archetypal Leafs fan.

Come on now. I am saying they should trade Toskala (he is not really the starting Goalie anymore) and two of their 8 potential starting lineup dmen. Then I am saying they should TRY to get those three guys. Its like this. Maybe the GM thinks he is getting something he is not. Like the Lulongo trade, or the Yashin Trade, or the Oilers end of the Gretzky trade. Maybe Burke would get lucky.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

They leafs should trade Toskala, Van Ryn, and Finger too. Burke should go after 3 guys. Shea Weber, Brandon Sutter and Brayden Schenn.

If you had any of those three guys (Weber, Sutter, Schenn) on your roster, would you trade them? Probably not.

Josh has shown us on numerous occasions that logic, sense, and facts aren't his strong suits when considering Leaf transactions. In other words, he is the archetypal Leafs fan.

Come on now. I am saying they should trade Toskala (he is not really the starting Goalie anymore) and two of their 8 potential starting lineup dmen. Then I am saying they should TRY to get those three guys. Its like this. Maybe the GM thinks he is getting something he is not. Like the Lulongo trade, or the Yashin Trade, or the Oilers end of the Gretzky trade. Maybe Burke would get lucky.

It is not wise to project trades based on the assumption that your partner GMs are the NHL versions of Kevin McHale, Isaiah Thomas, and Matt Millen.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived