09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasom Smith Retired today.

Which frees up some cap space and gets Ottawa back under the cap.

Also Dany Heatley has been stripped of his "A". Though I doubt any of you care that much.

Prediction: Heatley asks to be traded to Edmonton a few days before training camp starts.

Hi, how are you?

Schneider + Bieksa + Raymond + Demitra = Scoring, please.

I know Bieksa is one of the most tradeable Canucks D, but without him they're fairly soft on the back end. I guess O'brien provides some grit, but he's in the penalty box too much. I can't recall if Lukowich is abrasive or not.

I like the Luongo deal. No more tedious speculation about whether he wants to be in Vancouver or not.

Is the NHL going to investigate the Canucks for the Luongo signing, or is it okay because the Canucks play in Canada did not "do wrong" by a code of hockey orthodoxy "negotiated in the spirit of the CBA"? Or is getting to sign ethically spurious contracts without reproach an exclusive perk of Ilitch & Co.?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Until the new CBA is written, voted upon, players strike/are locked out, and a new agreement is reached, these contracts are still perfectly valid.

As far as I know, anyway. But then again, I'm still reeling over the news that the Blue Bombers aren't signing Pacman.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jasom Smith Retired today.

Which frees up some cap space and gets Ottawa back under the cap.

Also Dany Heatley has been stripped of his "A". Though I doubt any of you care that much.

Prediction: Heatley asks to be traded to Edmonton a few days before training camp starts.

Even if Haetley does ask to be shipped to Edmonton, which seems doubtful considering that selfish Dany wouldn't have the linemates he has in Ottawa, I doubt it will happen. Murray said the price would certainly go up now that they've paid him his $4 million. I doubt Penner, Cogs & Smid would be enough now. Expect him to be traded at some point in the season when teams start getting desperate due to early season struggles. Then, and only then, will Bryan Murray get an adequate return for Dany.

So I say, let's be patient here. Dany Heatley can sit tight. At the end of the day Bryan Murray will do what he feels is best for the organization. Right now, that means not trading Dany Heatley for a couple spare parts.

thecatch.jpg

Toronto picked up its own 2nd rounder today,which gives them there own 1st-3rd rounders in 2010,which McKenzie said means they are in a position now to put an offer sheet on the table for Kessel.My question for you is this if Burke does make a run at Kessel should he apologize to Kevin Lowe,and maybe buy him dinner or somethin :hockeysmiley:

TSN Story

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Toronto picked up its own 2nd rounder today,which gives them there own 1st-3rd rounders in 2010,which McKenzie said means they are in a position now to put an offer sheet on the table for Kessel.My question for you is this if Burke does make a run at Kessel should he apologize to Kevin Lowe,and maybe buy him dinner or somethin :hockeysmiley:

TSN Story

Ha! I hadn't even thought about that when I heard this story.

Though if Toronto does get Kessel, it's going to be harder to dislike that team. I'm already a fan of The Monster and some of the other guys they went and picked up.

Hi, how are you?

I think that the situation with Kessel is different. The Bruins would already have him resigned if it wasn't for the cap. Also, the Penner offer sheet, Lowe WAY over paid to make sure he got him. If Burke makes an offer around say, 4 million, (5 years is what I'd like to see) then the Bruins would have no choice but to except because they can't match it.

They leafs should trade Toskala, Van Ryn, and Finger too. Burke should go after 3 guys. Shea Weber, Brandon Sutter and Brayden Schenn. Perhaps sign Chelios to a 5-6k two way contract too. They have a lot of young d-men on that team that could use a mentor. Perhaps if they can move Toskala they could sign Fernandez or Legace to replace him. If they don't have cap space for either one then maybe a guy like Scott Clemmensen, Kevin Weeks or Brent Johnson (a willing reliable backup that can handle a starting job fairly good if he has too)

Also a rumor I heard is that Burke is seriously considering Zherdev. I don't know how he would fit into the leafs system, but I think that would be a good addition. If he gets lazy, then Wilson will give it to him. Zherdev would have to actually earn his minutes if he was a Leaf.

*edit*

Scratch the idea of adding a Fernandez, Legace, Johnson, Weeks guy...I forgot they signed Joey Mac. They would really only need "real backup" rather than a shared role type of guy. Perhaps a Brian Boucher, Wade Dubielewicz, or a Curis Sanford would be sufficient.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I think that the situation with Kessel is different. The Bruins would already have him resigned if it wasn't for the cap. Also, the Penner offer sheet, Lowe WAY over paid to make sure he got him. If Burke makes an offer around say, 4 million, (5 years is what I'd like to see) then the Bruins would have no choice but to except because they can't match it.

They leafs should trade Toskala, Van Ryn, and Finger too. Burke should go after 3 guys. Shea Weber, Brandon Sutter and Brayden Schenn. Perhaps sign Chelios to a 5-6k two way contract too. They have a lot of young d-men on that team that could use a mentor. Perhaps if they can move Toskala they could sign Fernandez or Legace to replace him. If they don't have cap space for either one then maybe a guy like Scott Clemmensen, Kevin Weeks or Brent Johnson (a willing reliable backup that can handle a starting job fairly good if he has too)

Also a rumor I heard is that Burke is seriously considering Zherdev. I don't know how he would fit into the leafs system, but I think that would be a good addition. If he gets lazy, then Wilson will give it to him. Zherdev would have to actually earn his minutes if he was a Leaf.

*edit*

Scratch the idea of adding a Fernandez, Legace, Johnson, Weeks guy...I forgot they signed Joey Mac. They would really only need "real backup" rather than a shared role type of guy. Perhaps a Brian Boucher, Wade Dubielewicz, or a Curis Sanford would be sufficient.

No. It's the exact same thing. Burke was upset that there was an offer sheet in the first place.

Shea Weber would easily be the best defenseman on the Leafs if that happened so I don't know what Toronto would have to give to get him. Also from what I've heard Weber and Schenn are pretty untouchable right now.

Who are signed to new teams.

Hi, how are you?

Im just happy that josh_cat_eyes doesnt make any decisions for the Leafs.

Yea, lets sign Chelios, thats what we need. The Predators would never let Weber go, he is arguably one of the top 5 defensemen in the game today. Brayden Schenn isnt going to be dealt and Brandon Sutter isnt anything special. Why trade Jeff Finger? Sure he's overpaid, but he was our top shutdown defenseman and he is killer for blocking shots.

I doubt you actually heard a rumour about Zherdev coming to Toronto, Ive never heard of it or seen it on any website. Im not saying I hear or see everything, but hearing a friend say "Yea Zherdev would be good with the Leafs" isnt considered a rumour. Zherdev doesnt fit into the Leafs system and he never will. He's an overpaid, poormans Alexi Kovalev.

beLEAF

David Poile would have to have secretly turned into a crack addict to trade Weber. Similarly, anyone who traded for Toskala at this point would have to be on mind altering substances. He'll have to prove he's turned it around to have any trade value.

I'm not sure whats with the desire for Brandon Sutter either. Frankly, looking at his history, it seems like he got drafted way higher than his talent would dictate, probably based on his last name. Zherdev is not a Burke/Wilson style player either.

*edit*

No. It's the exact same thing. Burke was upset that there was an offer sheet in the first place.

Shea Weber would easily be the best defenseman on the Leafs if that happened so I don't know what Toronto would have to give to get him. Also from what I've heard Weber and Schenn are pretty untouchable right now.

I know that they are signed to different teams. I was merely using those players as an example and stating that a player like them would work. And about trading Finger. You'd trade him because he's overpaid. He is not going to be the top shutdown guy now that Mike Komisarek, Francois Beauchemin, and Garnet Exelby are on the team.

The Webber, Schenn and Sutter ideas are simple players i'd like to see on the team. Sutter is a young grinder and can win you some faceoffs. Perhaps he would be a welcome addition to the 3rd or 4th line. And Brayden Schenn...well I heard a lot of people say that he was really wanting to play with his brother. Also Weber would be a perfect player for the leafs. I don't know what the leafs would have to give up, but perhaps Burke could make an offer that is alright for both teams. As for Toskala, put him on the LA Kings and he is their number 1. He could probably even push for a starting job in Ottawa, Phoenix, Nashville or Tampa.

By the way, this rumor is hardly a friend saying the leafs should get Zherdev:

I take it they are saying Ian White and Lee Stempniak for Zherdev. Now that hardly seems fair for the leafs. I think it may be more Ian White OR Lee Stempniak for Zherdev.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

*edit*

I know that they are signed to different teams. I was merely using those players as an example and stating that a player like them would work. And about trading Finger. You'd trade him because he's overpaid. He is not going to be the top shutdown guy now that Mike Komisarek, Francois Beauchemin, and Garnet Exelby are on the team.

The Webber, Schenn and Sutter ideas are simple players i'd like to see on the team. Sutter is a young grinder and can win you some faceoffs. Perhaps he would be a welcome addition to the 3rd or 4th line. And Brayden Schenn...well I heard a lot of people say that he was really wanting to play with his brother. Also Weber would be a perfect player for the leafs. I don't know what the leafs would have to give up, but perhaps Burke could make an offer that is alright for both teams. As for Toskala, put him on the LA Kings and he is their number 1. He could probably even push for a starting job in Ottawa, Phoenix, Nashville or Tampa.

By the way, this rumor is hardly a friend saying the leafs should get Zherdev:

I take it they are saying Ian White and Lee Stempniak for Zherdev. Now that hardly seems fair for the leafs. I think it may be more Ian White OR Lee Stempniak for Zherdev.

Just like every other set of brothers that ever played in the league.

It would start with Schenn, and if it didn't Poille would hang up on Ol' Burkey

:D HA! No thanks. Elliot played better than Toskala did last year, he would hardly contend for the number one position.

No it would definitely have to be both of those guys for fair value.

Hi, how are you?

*edit*

Burke is no stranger to offer sheet drama.

He and Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe were engaged in a year-long spat over a US$21.25-million, five-year offer sheet the Oilers made to Anaheim Ducks restricted free agent Dustin Penner in July 2007. Burke, then the Ducks GM, did not match, and promptly lambasted Lowe and the Penner offer sheet for spiralling salaries on young restricted free agents.

The two exchanged verbal shots before the NHL ordered an end to the feud. But Burke is still irked by Lowe's tactics, and said it would be unfair to compare any offer sheet he makes to the one given out by Lowe.

"My objection was, first, I got blindsided by it," said Burke. "This entire process has involved dialogue with Peter Chiarelli. We were at the point where I told him I was thinking about reacquiring the pick, telling him the night before I got the pick back that I intended to get it back . . . there's been no blindside or backdoor here like Kevin Lowe did.

"Number two, I objected to the player that was the target of that, and the amount that was paid, and that's just a matter of judgement. But I pointed out quite clearly at the time that I supported and believed in offer sheets. They're part of the CBA."

Burke suggested that had Lowe spoken with him prior to making the offer sheet, the dispute might have been avoided altogether.

"I think it's a professional courtesy that professional people would do," said Burke. "It wasn't extended to me. I objected to it then and I feel the same way now."

When pressed about whether his frequent dialogue with Chiarelli might indicate a future offer to Kessel, Burke reiterated his stance.

"I do not contemplate an offer sheet on Phil Kessel at this time," Burke said.

1. If you knew they were on a team, why bother mentioning them at all? Mention unsigned players. If you're going to say it will work, say who with! I can say that any team would be a great team with a player like Alex kovalev. The problem is there is only one alex kovalev. You've mentioned guys that are barely staying on the NHL ledge here. Mention someone PRACTICAL in your fantasy GM'ing

2. You can't just trade someone because they're paid too much. Other GM's are not stupid enough to pay for you paying a player too much money.

3. I read that link you provided. If you believe rumours froma blog like that, you'll love these magic beans I have on ebay right now...

Seriously, anyone with half a brain can post a blog about anything. It takes you to be gullible enough to buy into it.

Archived