09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

What's Comcast's coverage like in the western US? From what I can tell, most of the cable/phone providers out this way are Time/Warner or Qwest or DTV/Dish Network, while Comcast seems to have a veritable deathgrip on the east and midwest.

So since Comcast owns Versus, and there isn't a lot of Comcast out west, then doesn't it kind of make sense that the western teams would be getting short shrift on the televised front?

But what do I know, I'm Canadian. I can turn on the TV anytime between October and June and find a hockey game on basic cable.

Comcast is pretty much your only cable option in Seattle. Verizon FIOS is making inroads, though, and there is Broadstripe in some parts of Seattle.

Funny that you mention that Comcast owns Versus. DirecTV and Comcast are in negotiations right now about the fees to carry Versus and it may mean there won't be a Versus to watch this season. Luckily, I have Center Ice so it won't affect me but that's kind of a big blow to the NHL if their games won't be seen by any DirecTV subscribers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone outside of Ottawa cares, but Dany Heatley held a conference call today bull :censored:ting his way through a bunch of questions. In the end saying the reason he demanded the trade was because he felt as if his role as an integral part of the team had diminished when he was put on the 2nd powerplay unit and played three less minutes a game.

The entire conference call was absolute garbage from the Heatley camp, trying to avoid sounding like a jerk. In the end it made him seem even worse.

Hi, how are you?

Not sure if anyone outside of Ottawa cares, but Dany Heatley held a conference call today bull :censored:ting his way through a bunch of questions. In the end saying the reason he demanded the trade was because he felt as if his role as an integral part of the team had diminished when he was put on the 2nd powerplay unit and played three less minutes a game.

The entire conference call was absolute garbage from the Heatley camp, trying to avoid sounding like a jerk. In the end it made him seem even worse.

:cry: <----- Heatley.

Nuff said.

Team Canada orientation camp runs this upcoming week in Calgary and they released the roster for Team White and Team Red

Team Red

Goaltenders

Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Vancouver Canucks

Cam Ward, Sherwood Park, Alta., Carolina Hurricanes

Defence

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont., San Jose Sharks

Drew Doughty, London, Ont., Los Angeles Kings

Dan Hamhuis, Smithers, B.C., Nashville Predators

Dion Phaneuf, Edmonton, Alta., Calgary Flames

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Robyn Regehr, Rosthern, Sask., Calgary Flames

Stéphane Robidas, Sherbrooke, Que., Dallas Stars

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C., Chicago Blackhawks

Forwards

Jeff Carter, London, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Dan Cleary, Carbonear, Nfld, Detroit Red Wings

Vincent Lecavalier, Ile-Bizard, Que., Tampa Bay Lightning

Milan Lucic, Vancouver, B.C., Boston Bruins

Patrick Marleau, Aneroid, Sask., San Jose Sharks

Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont., Anaheim Ducks

Derek Roy, Rockland, Ont., Buffalo Sabres

Patrick Sharp, Thunder Bay, Ont., Chicago Blackhawks

Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta., Los Angeles Kings

Jason Spezza, Mississauga, Ont., Ottawa Senators

Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., Carolina Hurricanes

Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont., San Jose Sharks

Team White

Goaltenders

Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que., New Jersey Devils

Marc-André Fleury, Sorel, Que., Pittsburgh Penguins

Steve Mason, Oakville, Ont., Columbus Blue Jackets

Defence

François Beauchemin, Sorel, Que., Toronto Maple Leafs

Jay Bouwmeester, Edmonton, Alta., Calgary Flames

Brent Burns, Ajax, Ont., Minnesota Wild

Mike Green, Calgary, Alta., Washington Capitals

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C., Chicago Blackhawks

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C., Anaheim Ducks

Marc Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., New York Rangers

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C., Nashville Predators

Forward

Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S., Pittsburgh Penguins

Shane Doan, Halkirk, Alta., Phoenix Coyotes

Simon Gagné, Ste-Foy, Que., Philadelphia Flyers

Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta., Ottawa Senators

Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta., Calgary Flames

Andy McDonald, Strathroy, Ont., St. Louis Blues

Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask., Dallas Stars

Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont., Columbus Blue Jackets

Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Martin St. Louis, Laval, Que., Tampa Bay Lightning

Jordan Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., Pittsburgh Penguins

Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man., Chicago Blackhawks

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What's Comcast's coverage like in the western US? From what I can tell, most of the cable/phone providers out this way are Time/Warner or Qwest or DTV/Dish Network, while Comcast seems to have a veritable deathgrip on the east and midwest.

So since Comcast owns Versus, and there isn't a lot of Comcast out west, then doesn't it kind of make sense that the western teams would be getting short shrift on the televised front?

But what do I know, I'm Canadian. I can turn on the TV anytime between October and June and find a hockey game on basic cable.

Comcast is pretty much your only cable option in Seattle. Verizon FIOS is making inroads, though, and there is Broadstripe in some parts of Seattle.

Funny that you mention that Comcast owns Versus. DirecTV and Comcast are in negotiations right now about the fees to carry Versus and it may mean there won't be a Versus to watch this season. Luckily, I have Center Ice so it won't affect me but that's kind of a big blow to the NHL if their games won't be seen by any DirecTV subscribers.

Potential posturing, but DirectTV may drop Versus.

LA Times story on the issue

For the last couple of days, DirecTV satellite television subscribers have been seeing a crawl if they've watched any Versus network programming telling them that as of Aug. 31, DirecTV will no longer carry Versus.

Robert Mercer, director of public relations for DirecTV, said: "Versus' overall ratings are poor and have not increased nearly enough to justify what we're paying them, let alone the significant increase they're asking for.

"It is a significant rate hike and the deal is discriminatory because Versus is not offering the same package options as other distributors."

Number of times each team is shown:

9 - Detroit, Chicago

8 - NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

7 - Boston, Buffalo, Minnesota, Washington

6 - New Jersey

5 - Dallas

4 - St. Louis, San Jose

3 - Colorado

2 - Columbus, Montreal, NY Islanders, Tampa Bay, Toronto

1 - Calgary, Florida, Los Angeles, Nashville, Phoenix

0 - Anaheim, Atlanta, Carolina, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver

Way to grow the sport, Versus! :upside:

IMO, all nights of action should be doubleheaders, one east game and one west.

At least we got two games this year though.

I suppose showing really good teams like the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins, and Capitals is one way to grow the sport. Nobody wants to watch the Thrashers and Hurricanes on a national level. Hardly anyone watches them locally. They're not entitled to marquee telecasts.

Hell of a lot of Rangers games for a pretty uncompelling team, I have to say.

I'll counter with the fact that playoff teams like Columbus, Carolina, and Anaheim should have gotten at the minimum, one game each whereas works in progresses such as St. Louis, Phoenix (hello NHL, don't you want to keep the team there?), Florida, and Colorado should have gotten one game a piece.

Oh, and :censored: the Rangers.

Fair enough, but like Still Mighty says, they'll get their exposure in the postseason if they deserve it. Deserving or not, I don't derive a lot of joy from watching the Blue Jackets. Kinda boring. I don't really go for HitchPuck.

Oh, I love HitchPuck! Check the hell outta you and get by with 2 goals a game :P

I suppose showing really good teams like the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins, and Capitals is one way to grow the sport. Nobody wants to watch the Thrashers and Hurricanes on a national level. Hardly anyone watches them locally. They're not entitled to marquee telecasts.

Hell of a lot of Rangers games for a pretty uncompelling team, I have to say.

I'll counter with the fact that playoff teams like Columbus, Carolina, and Anaheim should have gotten at the minimum, one game each whereas works in progresses such as St. Louis, Phoenix (hello NHL, don't you want to keep the team there?), Florida, and Colorado should have gotten one game a piece.

Oh, and :censored: the Rangers.

The Blues are as much works in progress as the Blue Jackets. For what it's worth, the Blues appear to be the beneficiaries of Versus' Detroit jones, as well as having a known rivalry with the same.

Yeah, they are. Both teams could become really good, really soon.

Seriously DirecTV? Getting rid of Versus. Crap.

Get NHL Center Ice.

6fQjS3M.png

Potential posturing, but DirectTV may drop Versus.

LA Times story on the issue

For the last couple of days, DirecTV satellite television subscribers have been seeing a crawl if they've watched any Versus network programming telling them that as of Aug. 31, DirecTV will no longer carry Versus.

Robert Mercer, director of public relations for DirecTV, said: "Versus' overall ratings are poor and have not increased nearly enough to justify what we're paying them, let alone the significant increase they're asking for.

"It is a significant rate hike and the deal is discriminatory because Versus is not offering the same package options as other distributors."

this is why the NHL continues to fail in the US. If the average person can't see an nhl game, why should the average fan care to see it? They damn sure aren't paying to get Center Ice.

at this rate, they should be rated some in between Nation Cans Tossing League and the American Hooters, Jugs and Big'uns Watching League, in overal relevancy.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Well there won't be any ''Big O'' for the Habs this year

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288672

Good, didn't want to make the trip to see the Caps to play in an "outdoor" game in Canada.

Yeah, 80,000+ angry Habs fans after Ovie breaks their hearts once again would not be good joojoo. You might feel like Mockba did in Mexico City!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Well there won't be any ''Big O'' for the Habs this year

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288672

Good, didn't want to make the trip to see the Caps to play in an "outdoor" game in Canada.

Yeah, 80,000+ angry Habs fans after Ovie breaks their hearts once again would not be good joojoo. You might feel like Mockba did in Mexico City!

Impossible. We love hockey, but we're nowhere near as crazy as football fans.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived