09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well there won't be any ''Big O'' for the Habs this year

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288672

Good, didn't want to make the trip to see the Caps to play in an "outdoor" game in Canada.

Yeah, 80,000+ angry Habs fans after Ovie breaks their hearts once again would not be good joojoo. You might feel like Mockba did in Mexico City!

Or when an unproven goalie makes 32 saves against the Canadiens and wins the game, 2-1.

Team Canada orientation camp runs this upcoming week in Calgary and they released the roster for Team White and Team Red

Team Red

Goaltenders

Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Vancouver Canucks

Cam Ward, Sherwood Park, Alta., Carolina Hurricanes

Defence

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont., San Jose Sharks

Drew Doughty, London, Ont., Los Angeles Kings

Dan Hamhuis, Smithers, B.C., Nashville Predators

Dion Phaneuf, Edmonton, Alta., Calgary Flames

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Robyn Regehr, Rosthern, Sask., Calgary Flames

Stéphane Robidas, Sherbrooke, Que., Dallas Stars

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C., Chicago Blackhawks

Forwards

Jeff Carter, London, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Dan Cleary, Carbonear, Nfld, Detroit Red Wings

Vincent Lecavalier, Ile-Bizard, Que., Tampa Bay Lightning

Milan Lucic, Vancouver, B.C., Boston Bruins

Patrick Marleau, Aneroid, Sask., San Jose Sharks

Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont., Anaheim Ducks

Derek Roy, Rockland, Ont., Buffalo Sabres

Patrick Sharp, Thunder Bay, Ont., Chicago Blackhawks

Ryan Smyth, Banff, Alta., Los Angeles Kings

Jason Spezza, Mississauga, Ont., Ottawa Senators

Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., Carolina Hurricanes

Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont., San Jose Sharks

Team White

Goaltenders

Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que., New Jersey Devils

Marc-André Fleury, Sorel, Que., Pittsburgh Penguins

Steve Mason, Oakville, Ont., Columbus Blue Jackets

Defence

François Beauchemin, Sorel, Que., Toronto Maple Leafs

Jay Bouwmeester, Edmonton, Alta., Calgary Flames

Brent Burns, Ajax, Ont., Minnesota Wild

Mike Green, Calgary, Alta., Washington Capitals

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C., Chicago Blackhawks

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C., Anaheim Ducks

Marc Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., New York Rangers

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C., Nashville Predators

Forward

Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S., Pittsburgh Penguins

Shane Doan, Halkirk, Alta., Phoenix Coyotes

Simon Gagné, Ste-Foy, Que., Philadelphia Flyers

Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta., Ottawa Senators

Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta., Calgary Flames

Andy McDonald, Strathroy, Ont., St. Louis Blues

Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask., Dallas Stars

Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont., Columbus Blue Jackets

Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont., Philadelphia Flyers

Martin St. Louis, Laval, Que., Tampa Bay Lightning

Jordan Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont., Pittsburgh Penguins

Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man., Chicago Blackhawks

Both these teams are good enough to play in a gold medal game. Plus or minus a few players though. For Defense, I'd rather have Dennis Wideman, Ed Jovanovski, Brian Campbell and Kris Letang over Stéphane Robidas, Drew Doughty, Marc Staal and Brent Burns.

On forward, I'd rather have Marc Savard, Patrice Bergeron and Ryan Getzlaf over Dan Cleary, Derek Roy and Andy McDonald.

As well in goal I'd rather have seen Chris Osgood, Dwayne Roloson, Marty Turco, Jean-Sébastien Giguère, Martin Biron, Chris Mason over Cam Ward. You could pretty much have 3 teams though.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

As much as they'd like to put all the top-scoring players on the roster, you still need those defensive-minded defensemen and penalty-killing forwards....

Yeah but you can't just look at the leading scorers per position to pick a team like that... too much work for some.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

As well in goal I'd rather have seen Chris Osgood, Dwayne Roloson, Marty Turco, Jean-Sébastien Giguère, Martin Biron, Chris Mason over Cam Ward. You could pretty much have 3 teams though.

What?!?

Did you watch the Playoffs? Ward played amazing and I would bet money that he will be the #3 goalie.

Secondly, the goalies you listed to replace him are absolute garbage. Turco played like :censored: all season, Giguere isnt even a starter, Biron cant win when it counts, Mason got hot near the end of the season, Roloson doesnt deserve an invite and Osgood is Osgood, he's not bad but he's not Team Canada material.

beLEAF

Both these teams are good enough to play in a gold medal game. Plus or minus a few players though. For Defense, I'd rather have Dennis Wideman, Ed Jovanovski, Brian Campbell and Kris Letang over Stéphane Robidas, Drew Doughty, Marc Staal and Brent Burns.

On forward, I'd rather have Marc Savard, Patrice Bergeron and Ryan Getzlaf over Dan Cleary, Derek Roy and Andy McDonald.

Is there a "Lol" smiley?

Seriously? If you were in charge of the Canadian Olympic team I'd expect an even game VS. Kahzakhstan.

Hi, how are you?

Ed Jovanovski? Really?!

Ryan Getzlaf WAS on the team, but forced to sit out due to surgery. Patrice Bergeron hasn't been the same since his near-career-ending injury, if he could get back to the form he was in prior to the injury, I would bet he would already be in this camp. But I do agree with you on Marc Savard, this guy gets overlooked all too often.

And, just no on the goaltending. Cam Ward has, most importantly, shined in playoff situations and is still a relatively young goalie. Osgood, Roloson, and Giguere, while they had success in the playoffs, are too old, and Biron and Turco barely has any success in pressure situations. Its clear that Hockey Canada invited the members who will be on future teams, those that will follow the Brodeurs and Luongos.

Wade-sig.png

Is there a "Lol" smiley?

Seriously? If you were in charge of the Canadian Olympic team I'd expect an even game VS. Kahzakhstan.

Im with you on that one.

beLEAF

Big activity from the Canucks today:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289113

-Dan

Gillis is the man. Canucks give up to less than stellar prospects for a top 4 dman and Lukowich who is a solid player. Theeeeeeeeen he grabs Schneider who brings loads of experience and is still a good player. These moves make the Canucks the deepest team in the west after Detroit. A salary dump will have to be made, which can be done without losing a lot. I'm so ready for training camp, this has to be the most optimistic I have been about the Canucks in awhile, and I usually think they have a good team.

-Dan

Gillis is the man. Canucks give up to less than stellar prospects for a top 4 dman and Lukowich who is a solid player. Theeeeeeeeen he grabs Schneider who brings loads of experience and is still a good player. These moves make the Canucks the deepest team in the west after Detroit. A salary dump will have to be made, which can be done without losing a lot. I'm so ready for training camp, this has to be the most optimistic I have been about the Canucks in awhile, and I usually think they have a good team.

Canucks still need scoring. I can see Gillis flipping Ehrhoff and Bieksa over to Ottawa for Heatly, but we'd still need to unload salaries, i.e. Demitra.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

-Dan

Canucks still need scoring. I can see Gillis flipping Ehrhoff and Bieksa over to Ottawa for Heatley, but we'd still need to unload salaries, i.e. Demitra.

Can't see that happening without the inclusion of a forward like Raymond or Kesler.

-Dan

Awesome move by Gillis. I have to wonder why on earth San Jose would make the trade they did. Patrick White barely even plays on his college team, and Rahimi is unlikely to ever be an NHL regular. Seems like a salary dump.

Canucks probably need to move at least one d-man now.

-Dan

Canucks still need scoring. I can see Gillis flipping Ehrhoff and Bieksa over to Ottawa for Heatly, but we'd still need to unload salaries, i.e. Demitra.

Dave Pratt was all over this on 1040 today, I like that idea! But yea, would totally need to throw in a forward (hopefully Raymond)

-Dan

Awesome move by Gillis. I have to wonder why on earth San Jose would make the trade they did. Patrick White barely even plays on his college team, and Rahimi is unlikely to ever be an NHL regular. Seems like a salary dump.

Canucks probably need to move at least one d-man now.

Perhaps both teams are making moves to try and get Heatley. San Jose frees up around $5 million (they were very close to the cap before this deal), and Vancouver has a plethora of defensemen, and Ottawa could sure use some defense.

Canucks, however, are over the cap. I'd be trying to move Bieksa (sad to see him go, but the other guys have no-trades, and Edler has too much upside) and maybe Demitra and Raymond. That brings the Canucks to about $6M under the cap, and plenty of room for the end of the season.

But moving Bieksa/Raymond buys them about $3M, so that's probably the main option at this point.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

RDS reporting Tanguay to Tampa. Not surprised that there's no official news down here, it seems like the kind of thing they'd love to announce at Fan Fest tomorrow.

or twitter....

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived