09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Went to the Team Canada Red & White game yesterday and it was probably one of the funnest environments I've ever been in and I go to plenty of Flames games, crowd booed the hell out of Dany Heatley in the shootout even if this game didn't play any part in naming Team Canada it should be interesting on how the first three months go.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I Wwent to the Team Canada Red & White game yesterday and it was probably one of the funnest environments I've ever been in, and I go to plenty of Flames games. The crowd booed the hell out of Dany Heatley in the shootout. Even if this game didn't play any part in naming Team Canada, it should be interesting on how the first three months go.

Fixed that for you....

Enough of the goddamned run-on sentences!!! Type like a :censored: adult!

As much as they'd like to put all the top-scoring players on the roster, you still need those defensive-minded defensemen and penalty-killing forwards....

Yeah but you can't just look at the leading scorers per position to pick a team like that... too much work for some.

Most of all though, I don't see why Marc Savard is not there. He is not limited to being a centre. He was a left wing during his years with the Thrashers. He is a really good offensive player. For a final team though, this is what I would pick.

Goaltenders:

Martin Brodeur

Roberto Luongo

Marc-Andre Fleury

Defenceman

Pair 1: Chris Pronger Dion Phaneuf

Pair 2: Scott Niedermayer Jay Bouwmeester

Pair 3: Mike Green Shea Weber

Extra: Dan Boyle

Forwards:

Line 1: Rick Nash Sidney Crosby Jerome Iginla

Line 2: Michael Cammalleri Joe Thornton Martin St. Louis

Line 3: Danny Heatley Marc Savard Corey Perry

Line 4: Ryan Smyth Jeff Carter Shane Doan

Extra: Mike Richards

Powerplay:

PP1

Marc Savard Mike Cammalleri Danny Heatley

Chris Pronger Mike Green

PP2

Jeff Carter Joe Thornton Jerome Iginla

Dion Phaneuf Jay Bouwmeester

Penalty Kill:

PK1

Ryan Smyth Joe Thornton Shane Doan

Dion Phaneuf Shea Weber

PK2

Rick Nash Sidney Crosby Corry Perry

Chris Pronger Scott Niedermayer

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

As much as they'd like to put all the top-scoring players on the roster, you still need those defensive-minded defensemen and penalty-killing forwards....

Yeah but you can't just look at the leading scorers per position to pick a team like that... too much work for some.

Most of all though, I don't see why Marc Savard is not there. He is not limited to being a centre. He was a left wing during his years with the Thrashers. He is a really good offensive player. For a final team though, this is what I would pick.

Goaltenders:

Martin Brodeur

Roberto Luongo

Marc-Andre Fleury

Defenceman

Forwards:

Powerplay:

PP1

Chris Pronger Mike Green

PP2

Penalty Kill:

PK1

Dion Phaneuf Shea Weber

PK2

Sidney not on any powerplay unit, but on a PK unit?

oBIgzrL.png

Cammalleri will not make Team Canada. I love Cammalleri, he's my favourite non Leaf but I highly doubt he puts up 82 points with the Habs. You have him on the 2nd line which is makes it even worse.

Ryan Smyth is done in my opinion, he's a leader and a hard worker but his time has past. I dont think he'll be on the team either.

beLEAF

Big activity from the Canucks today:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289113

-Dan

Gillis is the man. Canucks give up to less than stellar prospects for a top 4 dman and Lukowich who is a solid player. Theeeeeeeeen he grabs Schneider who brings loads of experience and is still a good player. These moves make the Canucks the deepest team in the west after Detroit. A salary dump will have to be made, which can be done without losing a lot. I'm so ready for training camp, this has to be the most optimistic I have been about the Canucks in awhile, and I usually think they have a good team.

Canucks still need scoring. I can see Gillis flipping Ehrhoff and Bieksa over to Ottawa for Heatly, but we'd still need to unload salaries, i.e. Demitra.

I'm not too worried about scoring. Let's say you dump Bieksa, you still have two great pp units with Schneider and Ernhof manning one and Edler and Salo another. The Sedins will get you 70-80 points maybe even 90 if they continue to improve, Kesler can get 40-50 points and Demitra if he plays like he can will get you another 40-50 points. Then theirs guys like Bernier, Raymond, Wellwood who havn't shown what their capable of just yet. Throw in Hogdson who could contend for the calder and this is a very deep and talented team. I'm very optimistic about this team and can't wait till October.

Goaltenders:

Martin Brodeur

Roberto Luongo

Marc-Andre Fleury

Defenceman

Forwards:

Powerplay:

PP1

Chris Pronger Mike Green

PP2

Penalty Kill:

PK1

Dion Phaneuf Shea Weber

PK2

Sidney not on any powerplay unit, but on a PK unit?

And also, I'd be damned if Ryan Getzlaf doesn't make the team. He scores. He passes. He's big and physical. He kills penalties. I'd say he's one of the top 5 or 6 forwards in the NHL

The only reason he's not participating in the Olympic camp is because he had sports hernia surgery last month.

He'll be there come February.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ryan Getzlaf is pretty much a lock for Team Canada.

I also dont see Phaneuf making the team and if he does he's on the 3rd pairing or the 7th defensemen. He struggled last season and Id rather see Duncan Keith over Phaneuf.

beLEAF

Cammalleri will not make Team Canada. I love Cammalleri, he's my favourite non Leaf but I highly doubt he puts up 82 points with the Habs. You have him on the 2nd line which is makes it even worse.

Ryan Smyth is done in my opinion, he's a leader and a hard worker but his time has past. I dont think he'll be on the team either.

Agreed, Smyth is no longer needed on the team. There are other younger, faster, players who can do what he does. He's been a great competitor, but he's on the down slope. Including him would be a mistake IMO.

Big activity from the Canucks today:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289113

-Dan

Gillis is the man. Canucks give up to less than stellar prospects for a top 4 dman and Lukowich who is a solid player. Theeeeeeeeen he grabs Schneider who brings loads of experience and is still a good player. These moves make the Canucks the deepest team in the west after Detroit. A salary dump will have to be made, which can be done without losing a lot. I'm so ready for training camp, this has to be the most optimistic I have been about the Canucks in awhile, and I usually think they have a good team.

Canucks still need scoring. I can see Gillis flipping Ehrhoff and Bieksa over to Ottawa for Heatly, but we'd still need to unload salaries, i.e. Demitra.

I'm not too worried about scoring. Let's say you dump Bieksa, you still have two great pp units with Schneider and Ernhof manning one and Edler and Salo another. The Sedins will get you 70-80 points maybe even 90 if they continue to improve, Kesler can get 40-50 points and Demitra if he plays like he can will get you another 40-50 points. Then theirs guys like Bernier, Raymond, Wellwood who havn't shown what their capable of just yet. Throw in Hogdson who could contend for the calder and this is a very deep and talented team. I'm very optimistic about this team and can't wait till October.

Yes, the twins are good for 80-90 points this season, and if Burrows is on their line, he can be good for another 60-65. The second line, as it stands, looks to be Demitra-Kesler-Samuellsson, and this is where the points start to drop dramatically, since Demitra is only bound to be around for 55-60 games; his salary for that many games and so few points tells me he's overpaid, quite honestly.

Now. According to nhlnumbers.com, the Canucks are currently 1.21M over the cap. Bieksa is a 3.75M cap hit, so moving him brings them down to 2.54M under the cap (still not a lot of space). Raymond is $883k, and Demitra is an astounding $4M, so if we can package them up, or dump them off somewhere, that's about 7.4M under the cap, more than enough space to add Kessel, who is expected to be a cap hit of around $5-5.5M (36 goals in 70 games).

I think it's something to shoot for.

EDIT: I just double-checked that site, and M Schneider's salary isn't included as of yet. If it's the 1.55M that we're hearing, then feel free to do the math for the numbers above (1 M for dumping Bieska, almost 6M by jettisoning Raymond and Demitra).

I don't really like Demitra.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I agree Demitra is over payed and can be replaced. I don't know if theirs a team that's under the cap and will take on Demitras salary to get over, but if Gillis can find a way to unload Demitra that would be the best option. Gillis has to be planning something else or the Schneider signing makes no sense. I just hope its not Heatly, but if it's Kessel that Gillis has his eye on and can land him that would put a smile on my face.

The Schneider signing makes perfect sense, really; Gillis is bringing in former superstars at the end of their careers for a) a last shot at glory, and 2) to show the young guys in the room how to be a pro.

Sundin didn't produce the way the Canucks had hoped, but from all accounts, the effect he had on the room was phenomenal. Schneider is being brought in to do the same thing- he may not necessarily need to produce, and may even platoon with Lukowich (or be in the top 4 when Salo goes on one of his LTD runs), but he's being brought in, on the cheap, to show the kids how it's done.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

But when the Canucks had just gone over the cap and traded for two dmen why bring in another. I think there has to be another trade in the works.

Which is why I went through all the trouble of posting the cap numbers above. Bieksa is probably on his way out the door.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So Versus really tried to challenge DirecTV and DirecTV is now balking, effective today.

DirecTV said it already pays Versus more than any other independent distributor and that the 20% hike it is seeking "for what is basically a paid programming and infomercial channel with occasional sporting events of interest is simply piggish."

DirecTV, noting that it offered to continue Versus through the end of September while negotiations continued, said it has heard from a small number of subscribers who were unhappy about the network being pulled.

"But we want them to understand that we must hold the line on programming costs and protect them from unwarranted price increases, especially in this challenging economy," according to DirecTV.

I'm very happy with the Luongo deal. Likely makes him a Canuck for life and reduces his cap hit. This now gives the Canucks the flexibility to move Cory Schneider without worrying about the consequences of Luongo not re-signing. Now they can use Schneider along with other prospect as bait to land a top forward that could really put this team over the top. Once again, I can't wait for October.

Archived