09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

If the Blackhawks just lost Kris Versteeg to a clerical error, hellooooo new general manager Scotty Bowman.

EDIT: losing first-rounders Ben Eager and Cam Barker would hurt a lot too.

EDIT 2: they can let Brouwer go

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Blackhawks just lost Kris Versteeg to a clerical error, hellooooo new general manager Scotty Bowman.

Let Burke dive bomb and snatch them up to make up for the loss of Rick Nash. Ughhhh.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Tsn is reporting that Ryan Smyth has been traded to L.A. for Preissing, Quincey, and a 5th round pick.

I'm getting chills now. They gave up a really good player in Preissing, but I'm sure they will find a way to replace him.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Good pick up for LA. They get a vetran leader who scores those garbage goals in front of the net. Thats what LA needs. An older guy to lead the way.

Quincey is a solid young defenceman. He'll grow into a top 4 defenceman soon enough.

Good trade for both teams.

Colorado now has 7 quality defencemen.

Liles, Quincey, Preissing, Foote, Clarke, Hannan, Salei

beLEAF

Let Burke dive bomb and snatch them up to make up for the loss of Rick Nash. Ughhhh.

Loss? What makes you think the Leafs ever had a shot at Nash?

Dear, Ray Shero.

If the Blackhawks do lose Versteeg and Barker, please do not hesitate to use up the remaining 3.12 mil on one of them. Versteeg could take Talbot's spot on the Malkin line giving us a fearsome top six (and a pretty good bottom six), or Barker would be great for the defense considering the losses of Gill and Scuderi.

thank you,

Pens fans

oBIgzrL.png

Good pick up for LA. They get a vetran leader who scores those garbage goals in front of the net. Thats what LA needs. An older guy to lead the way.

Quincey is a solid young defenceman. He'll grow into a top 4 defenceman soon enough.

Good trade for both teams.

Colorado now has 7 quality defencemen.

Liles, Quincey, Preissing, Foote, Clarke, Hannan, Salei

About time the Kings started making moves.

That said, just ordered myself a Kopitar jersey. ^_^

VmWIn6B.png

Haha. Nobody liked Cam Barker until, like, April. Myself included, don't get me wrong, but it's funny to watch everyone champing at the bit to get him after years of "when is this guy actually gonna DO something?" in Blackhawkland.

I am pretty confident that the situation will be handled favorably, though. For one thing, the NHL can't afford another instance of looking like bumbling doofuses. To lose a handful of players because the dog ate Dale Tallon's homework would rightfully make the whole offseason a laughingstock.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it just or are the Sharks trying to play themselves out of a playoff slot next year. (Everyone else in the West is getting better! :mad:)

Doug Wilson, you promised change, now follow up!

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Tsn is reporting that Ryan Smyth has been traded to L.A. for Preissing, Quincey, and a 5th round pick.

I'm getting chills now. They gave up a really good player in Preissing, but I'm sure they will find a way to replace him.

Really? That's why Preissing found his butt in the minors for the last half of the season. He's an over-rated player that because he played well during a run to the Cup cashed in. Kind of like all those NFL Super Bowl MVP's that became free agents the next year and they were exposed for the frauds that they were. Tom Preissing at best is a 4th defenseman. After a year and a half of watching him, it's no loss to the Kings. Quincy is a far better defenseman. He's always got his head up and is just calm under pressure. Colorado will love him, he may not be spectacular, but from everything I read about Scuderi, Quincy is the same kind of defenseman. Then again, I wonder if Scuderi will end up like Preissing, hyped up after a run to the Cup Finals. Am I happy with the move? I don't know. Smyth has to score and do what he does best, go to the front of the net to open it up for the rest of the team. If the Kings don't make the playoffs, it's not such a good move. I don't know if Smyth is that sniper that can score from anywhere at anytime. The Kings don't have that. There's no one on the Kings up front that scares you. The one person that could be that sniper is Frolov, when he decides to show up. Hell, half the Ducks roster scares me. I was looking for someone that scares the opposition. I don't know if the Kings just didn't add Dustin Brown part 2. Maybe that's the reason, is they are looking to go to the front of the net more. I don't know if Ryan Smyth is that sniper, I haven't seen him enough to know. Everytime I saw him, he was in front of the net causing hell for the goaltender. I'm fine with that as I prefer teams to go to the front of the net. I just don't totally know Ryan Smyth's game. Am I more happy with Smyth and Scuderi than the Kings' draft? Absolutely, because they'll be producing for the Kings (hopefully) this year.

So let me guess on this, the Blackhawks couldn't get offers tendered to their free agents by the June 29th deadline because of a holiday two days later? Am I missing something? Let me get this straight, they couldn't tender the contracts on Monday because of Wednesday? I'm totally lost on this. Though, it would explain their free agent signings, especially if they knew they screwed up.

Loss? What makes you think the Leafs ever had a shot at Nash?

With free agency, everyone has a chance, especially those with a lot of cap room to spare.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I'm alright with what the pens have done. Nothing huge, but they kept Fedotenko and Guerin, and Rupp was an ok acquisition. I don't know about Guenin. They didn't keep Scuderi, and while it would've been better if they had, I don't think that will be that much of a problem. I'm not sure how much the pens have left, but hopefully they can sign one of the bigger offensive names that are left. Kovalev would be awesome to have back to play with Malkin, but he might be too much.

I have to agree here with what you said. I like having Feds back, but I think that rules out having Kovy here. With signing Rupp, I have a feeling Shero is close to a deal involving Dupuis and/or Godard. The Guenin signing is a two-way contract, so by doing that Shero is showing trust in the AHL defense, either being Lovejoy or Mormina. I would lean more towards Lovejoy just because he was up last year and played in a pairing with Gogo last year. I think the Pens are done with any NHL contracts with the signing of Guenin yesterday and Chris Conner today. If anything I would expect a few more 2-way contracts to give the team some more depth, hopefully Pesonen. We are still pretty much intact from the Cup run with our top 3 lines and top 2 pairings intact for this season.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Rick Nash will be in for the long haul in Columbus.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283635

woooo-:censored:ing- hoooooo! My dad woke me up early this morning when he saw the story in the Columbus Dispatch. Today is a good day to be a Blue Jackets fan. Apparently he really likes it in Columbus, because he stood to make a lot more elsewhere.

PvO6ZWJ.png

woooo-:censored:ing- hoooooo! My dad woke me up early this morning when he saw the story in the Columbus Dispatch. Today is a good day to be a Blue Jackets fan. Apparently he really likes it in Columbus, because he stood to make a lot more elsewhere.

I dont know if this is true, but I remember hearing that he likes it in Columbus because he can go out whenever he feels like and not alot of people recognize him. He says he likes it that way. If he played in Toronto, Montreal, Detroit etc. and he walked the streets, he'd be stopped every 2 minutes for an autograph.

beLEAF

Canucks ink Mikael Samuellsson to a 3-year deal. No terms disclosed.

3 years 7.5 million.

Another Wing wises up and leaves.

-Dan

I think it was more of the Wings who 'wised up'. Now there's room for Leino in Detroit.

Its both really, Samulesson pretty much said in his interview today that he came to Vancouver as he has more of a shot at top six playing time in Vancouver than in Detroit. I like the addition for Vancouver, adding a guy with a cup ring and some scoring talent is a great move. Gives the Canucks an option in case Burrow's magic with the Sedins was a one year wonder.

Canucks still need to find a replacement for Ohlund. Or at least a new d-man to pick up some of the slack.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I dont know if this is true, but I remember hearing that he likes it in Columbus because he can go out whenever he feels like and not alot of people recognize him. He says he likes it that way. If he played in Toronto, Montreal, Detroit etc. and he walked the streets, he'd be stopped every 2 minutes for an autograph.

I've actually heard him say that in interviews, but there's no way that's the biggest reason he stayed. In fact, he just won an award for activism in his community. People are aware of him in this city, but let's just say the neighborhood he lives in isn't impressed with making $7 million a year. I think it has more to do with him liking the vision the team is sticking to and what direction they're going in.

People outside Columbus will laugh at Scott Howson and the Blue Jackets essentially overpaying, but I don't see it that way. Nash in Columbus is more valuable than Nash in Toronto. His quiet leadership and world class ability mean everything to this franchise. I'm just happy I don't have to worry about him leaving for at least 7 or 8 years and we don't have to deal with a Jay Bouwmeester situation all next season. It's a good feeling when your favorite team's star player doesn't skip town the second his contract is up. I'm not used to guys wanting to stick around and for a little bit there (as recently as Wednesday) it looked like he might be entertaining offers from other teams for after next season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There are certainly lots of players who don't want to play in the hometown market. Kariya and Sakic, for example, have never shown any desire to play in Vancouver when they've been free agents.

Canucks ink Mikael Samuellsson to a 3-year deal. No terms disclosed.

3 years 7.5 million.

Another Wing wises up and leaves.

-Dan

I think it was more of the Wings who 'wised up'. Now there's room for Leino in Detroit.

Its both really, Samulesson pretty much said in his interview today that he came to Vancouver as he has more of a shot at top six playing time in Vancouver than in Detroit. I like the addition for Vancouver, adding a guy with a cup ring and some scoring talent is a great move. Gives the Canucks an option in case Burrow's magic with the Sedins was a one year wonder.

Canucks still need to find a replacement for Ohlund. Or at least a new d-man to pick up some of the slack.

-Dan

This is true. Not really anyone in the system that I can see stepping up to the NHL full time.

Archived