09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so PUMPED for this Koivu signing.

This is allllll Teemu Selanne's dealing too and I absolutely LOVE IT!

A true playmaking/scoring second line center. Plus instant chemistry with Teemu.

Oh man oh man oh man oh MAN do I love this signing!

The Ducks top-6 is stacked!

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Lupul - Koivu - Selanne

WOOOOOOO

GO DUCKS!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

A true playmaking/scoring second line center. Plus instant chemistry with Teemu.

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Lupul - Koivu - Selanne

WOOOOOOO

GO DUCKS!

True they look good, the Ducks are one of my favorites.

However they did lose two big pieces on the blueline.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

This should be fun:

The Sharks have 16 players under contract for this season, and around 1.6M left in cap space.

The Blackhawks are sitting at 59M with the recent signings.

I'm thinking some fire sales are in order.

Yep, and the teams well below the salary cap are gonna benefit when these teams need to make a deal.

It's how the Thrashers got Matheiu Schneider for like a 3rd- or 4th-round draft pick....Anaheim needed to unload salary to get under the cap.

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Lupul - Koivu - Selanne

WOOOOOOO

GO DUCKS!

-Dan

I was looking at THN's depth charts today for various teams. Ducks did lose quite a bit from the back end, but Niedermayer, Whitney and Wiskniewski are a decent top three. Festerling, Mikkelson and Sbisa are all good young talents. They could probably do with one more solid veteran.

Saku is a legend to a lot of people, great leader, Captain of Finland's national team since 1998 his stats are good nothing crazy but a solid two way player, battled back from Cancer and again if only he was healthy he'd be on his way to the Hall of Fame and who knows he's only 34 and if he can stay healthy he could very well be on his way.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

seeing koivu in anything other than a Habs jersey is definately a pick for the legends in the wrong uniform.

Define legend.

Have you seen the players posted in that thread?

You mean to tell me that Manute Bol isn't a legend??

6uXNWAo.png

Saku is a legend to a lot of people, great leader, Captain of Finland's national team since 1998 his stats are good nothing crazy but a solid two way player, battled back from Cancer and again if only he was healthy he'd be on his way to the Hall of Fame and who knows he's only 34 and if he can stay healthy he could very well be on his way.

Nah. Cancer may win you the Masterton, but not a chance in the Hall. He is very good and you could argue that he is above average, but not Hall of Fame calibre. Sure his career was hurt by health problems, but he had better stats after his comeback than he did when he was 'healthy'. So cancer or not, I don't believe he was on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

In my eyes, he has done nothing (lack of a Stanley Cup title (or Finals appearance), 641 career points AND career -10 rating) that would allow belong along side those of the accomplished and very distinguished legends. Just because you are a fan favourite it does not grant you entry into the shrine. Although, I will say I am rather impressed that he is ALMOST a point-per-game player on the international scene, but once again, not a good enough reason to be in the HHOF.

Best of luck to him in Anaheim.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Saku Koivu to the Ducks...1-yr deal

Anybody think that Teemu was in Bob Murray's face about bringing in Saku ironically both have one year deals could this be Saku's farewell tour as well?

this one kinda suprised me...i had him set to join his bro in Minny

I wanted to see that happen as well, but perhaps that's why he signed a 1 year deal. Maybe he already has his sights set for next year in Minny??

Also, I find it...interesting how the fans rallied together and protested in front of the Bell Center to try to get Kovalev to sign. Koivu was a Canadien for a much longer period of time and yet I feel like nobody gives a you know what. On Facebook, all I could find were "Fire Bob Gainey" groups. He would have got a much bigger wave of thank you's if his departure was not overshadowed by Kovy's.

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Lupul - Koivu - Selanne

WOOOOOOO

GO DUCKS!

-Dan

I was looking at THN's depth charts today for various teams. Ducks did lose quite a bit from the back end, but Niedermayer, Whitney and Wiskniewski are a decent top three. Festerling, Mikkelson and Sbisa are all good young talents. They could probably do with one more solid veteran.

Yeah right now its most likely:

Niedermayer - Wisniewski

Whitney - Sbisa

Festerling/Mikkelson/Salcido/Mitera/Brookbank/Free Agent

Maybe said free agent goes up with Whitney, but it depends. I've hear the Ducks may be going after Nick Boynton. I'd really like to see the Ducks get one more solid veteran d-man just to have another proven commodity on the blueline, but if worst comes to worst, Brookbank will be the regular blueliner of those I mentioned and the other 4 will be fighting for the 6/7 spots. Festerling and Mikkelson got a lot of time during the season when Beauchemin went down and Salcido got 2 games. Mitera has been at Michigan the last 4 years and I saw a few games and he looked good. It just depends on how he performs in camp and if he can make a quick transition into the NHL. If he isn't on the opening night roster, he will show his face in Anaheim at one point or another this season. At any rate, I've heard so much about these guys for a while and now is their time to step up and take it. Someone has to come out on top. And also sending any of them to the minors is a risky proposition right now, especially with the Ducks still currently without an AHL partner (although I've heard rumblings that the Oilers may leave Springfield early and set up shop in OKC this coming season leaving the Ducks for Springfield, but a lot of things have to go down and quick. It's not unheard of, but we'll see)

And of course the Ducks are set in goal. Giguere wants to bounce back and prove last season was a fluke and that he is a primetime #1 goalie again, while Hiller also wants to prove that last year was no fluke and solidify himself as a #1. Both have proven their potential and will both give it their all. That will be very interesting and exciting.

This offseason for the Ducks has strangely got me thinking about the 2006-07 Cup season.

The Duckswere coming off a deep playoff run (in 06 it was WCF vs Edmonton, in 09 its upheaval of San Jose and 7 games with Detroit)

The Ducks made a trade involving Pronger, Lupul, and a top defensive prospect (Smid in 06, Sbisa in 09)

The Ducks had two goalies that both believed they were #1 with the assumed back-up stealing some spotlight (Giguere/Bryzgalov in 06, Giguere/Hiller in 09)

And the Ducks were coming into their 2nd season with a new GM (Burke in 06, Murray in 09)

Do these parallels mean anything? who knows?

I hope they do.

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry

Lupul - Koivu - Selanne

WOOOOOOO

GO DUCKS!

-Dan

Yeah right now its most likely:

Niedermayer - Wisniewski

Whitney - Sbisa

Festerling/Mikkelson/Salcido/Mitera/Brookbank/Free Agent

Maybe said free agent goes up with Whitney, but it depends. I've hear the Ducks may be going after Nick Boynton. I'd really like to see the Ducks get one more solid veteran d-man just to have another proven commodity on the blueline, but if worst comes to worst, Brookbank will be the regular blueliner of those I mentioned and the other 4 will be fighting for the 6/7 spots. Festerling and Mikkelson got a lot of time during the season when Beauchemin went down and Salcido got 2 games. Mitera has been at Michigan the last 4 years and I saw a few games and he looked good. It just depends on how he performs in camp and if he can make a quick transition into the NHL. If he isn't on the opening night roster, he will show his face in Anaheim at one point or another this season. At any rate, I've heard so much about these guys for a while and now is their time to step up and take it. Someone has to come out on top. And also sending any of them to the minors is a risky proposition right now, especially with the Ducks still currently without an AHL partner (although I've heard rumblings that the Oilers may leave Springfield early and set up shop in OKC this coming season leaving the Ducks for Springfield, but a lot of things have to go down and quick. It's not unheard of, but we'll see)

And of course the Ducks are set in goal. Giguere wants to bounce back and prove last season was a fluke and that he is a primetime #1 goalie again, while Hiller also wants to prove that last year was no fluke and solidify himself as a #1. Both have proven their potential and will both give it their all. That will be very interesting and exciting.

This offseason for the Ducks has strangely got me thinking about the 2006-07 Cup season.

The Duckswere coming off a deep playoff run (in 06 it was WCF vs Edmonton, in 09 its upheaval of San Jose and 7 games with Detroit)

The Ducks made a trade involving Pronger, Lupul, and a top defensive prospect (Smid in 06, Sbisa in 09)

The Ducks had two goalies that both believed they were #1 with the assumed back-up stealing some spotlight (Giguere/Bryzgalov in 06, Giguere/Hiller in 09)

And the Ducks were coming into their 2nd season with a new GM (Burke in 06, Murray in 09)

Do these parallels mean anything? who knows?

I hope they do.

Maybe that parallel will mean more then this one.

2002 Stanley Cup Loser: Carolina

2003 Stanley Cup Loser: Anaheim

2004 Stanley Cup Loser: Calgary

2006 Stanley Cup Winner: Carolina

2007 Stanley Cup Winner: Anaheim

2008 Stanley Cup Winner: Not the Flames

Hahaha this one always makes me laugh

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Add Nick Boynton to the Ducks d. They signed him today.

LINK

Looks like those rumblings I heard were true after all!

Niedermayer - Wisniewski

Whitney - Sbisa

Boynton - Brookbank/Salcido/Mikkelson/Festerling

With the Boynton signing, Mitera will stay in the AHL to polish up a bit while the other 4 have a free-for-all, battle royale in training camp for the 6/7 spots.

As long as Wisniewski's arbitration hearing goes well and with the defense, our crop of forwards, and our strength in net, next season looks good...

And now, we wait :D

The Blues "acquired" Darren Pang today for TV commentary. Federko is headed for ice level work, which he has done off & on before. Most interesting thing I read is that apparently Phoenix has no TV deal in place for next season. Clearly, we know the reason, but hopefully they'll work it out since television is quite integral these days. I'm happy to have Panger aboard though.

LINK

Clearly right now it's Detroit and Anaheim the absolute favorites in the west with Chicago right behind them. We all know San Jose will be good regular season and choke away in the playoffs. I don't think the Ducks are all that worried after losing Pronger and Beauchemin. If they were, they wouldn't be gone. Is Beauchemin a top flight defenseman? Absolutely, I just wonder if he'll struggle like all good young players after signing their first big contract. Where is the Ducks strength? In the net, Hiller played well and Giguere is probably still one of the top 20 net minders. I trust Giguere more than pretty much 90% of the net minders in the league right now. He is a Conn Smythe trophy winner in a losing year and a Cup winner a few years later. Give me Giguere over Luongo any day, Luongo has yet to prove anything.

With Detroit losing 111 goals from their line up and the backup goalie that was the reason they won the Central after Osgood had a horrible regular season. How are they the absolute favorites?

-Dan

Because they are off season paper champions!!!!111!!!!!!

Seriously though, it's way too soon to speculate who will be good and who will be terrible. Hell might as well say we'll have a Phoenix vs. Toronto Stanley Cup Final next year :upside:. Let the teams have a break and start training camp to see how the lines develop.

And on another note, we'll miss you Sakic. Enjoy your retirement, you deserved it. But please, don't touch any more snow blowers.

Archived