The Minor League Sports Thread

crashcarson15

Well since I know there are many minor league sports fans out there, so I decided to make a thread for MiLB, af2, Minor League Hockey, NBDL, etc.

The Hershey Bears are AHL Champs, the South Carolina Stingrays are ECHL Champions, the Komets are FWHL (IHL) Champs, and the Texas Brahmas are Central Hockey League Champs. The Windsor Spitfires are the CHL Champions, while the Kelowna Rockets are WHL Champs and Drummondville won the QMJHL.

In MiLB, the SWB Yankees look to be the favorite in the IL, while the Sacramento River Cats have the best record in the PCL.

In AA Baseball, the Akron Aeros again look to be the favorite in the Southern Division of the Eastern League, while the Trenton Thunder (T3, 3.5 GB N Div) look to go for the 3-peat. In the Texas League, Springfield, Northwest Arkansas, and Tulsa are all within 2 games of each other in the North Divison, while Midland and San Antonio are a game apart in the South. Finally, in the Southern League Birmingham is the 1st half Southern Division Champions, while in the North Huntsville has a game and a half lead on Carolina.

In Class A Advanced (lol) Baseball, the Brevard County Manatees have won the 1st Half North Division Championship (w00t!) in the FSL, while Fort Myers is on their way to the South Division's First Half title. In the Carolina League, Lynchburg and Winston-Salem have 5 and 6 game leads in their divisions respectively, while in Cali Visalia, San Jose, and Modesto are all within 3 games in the North, while High Desert is 5 up on Lake Elsinore in the South.

In the Class A Midwest League, Fort Wayne and West Michigan are tied atop the East, while Kane County, Cedar Rapids, and Clinton are all within a game and a half in the West. In the Sally League, the Lakewood Blue Claws have a commanding 5 game lead in the Northern Division while Charleston leads Greenville by 1.5 games in the Southern Division while the New York-Penn League and Northwest League, short season leagues start play shortly. Go Scrappers!

Discuss.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the Texas Brahmas play a lot this year, and those boys were damn good. In the second round, they played the team I cover (RGV Killer Bees) that was pretty good and just smoked them in 4 straight. If the Bees made any mistake, they would make them pay.

And that's the sign of a really good team.

I saw the Texas Brahmas play a lot this year, and those boys were damn good. In the second round, they played the team I cover (RGV Killer Bees) that was pretty good and just smoked them in 4 straight. If the Bees made any mistake, they would make them pay.

Yeah living in Indianapolis I remember CHL games and the 1 thing I remember the most is how exciting the games are because of all the fighting and physical play. Is that still the case?

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah living in Indianapolis I remember CHL games and the 1 thing I remember the most is how exciting the games are because of all the fighting and physical play. Is that still the case?

There's still plenty of fighting but the league tries to enforce the NHL standard for penalties. Some veteran refs know how to do this and keep the game wide-open while others call absolutely everything (because it's harder for minor leaguers to play to the NHL standard) and make games nothing more than special teams contests.

For the more physical play, try the IHL.

But the CHL is a better and more exciting league.

Also, the SPHL is more of a physical game. From what I've seen, it's pre-lockout NHL style hockey. I'm glad Pensacola will be getting a team and for selfish reasons, I hope the Marching Chiefs only send a Pep Band to the Clemson game that way I can see the first home game.

I've also put together a blog/news site covering the Ice Flyers: http://theflightpath.byethost5.com

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Once ranked one of the top prospects in baseball, Homer Bailey has had many a chance to make his mark in the big leagues. But every time the Reds call him up, he just can't seem to put it all together. He started off the year pretty awful, even getting thrown out of a game after hitting a batter after giving up a homerun. He was called up once this year and his start didn't go all that well. But, in his last four AAA games, he is 3-0 with and ERA of 0.29. I really hope he "gets it" soon, I'm starting to feel sorry for this guy, because it seems his attitude had improved, but his major league stats won't improve. He could be a career AAA All Star.

Once ranked one of the top prospects in baseball, Homer Bailey has had many a chance to make his mark in the big leagues. But every time the Reds call him up, he just can't seem to put it all together. He started off the year pretty awful, even getting thrown out of a game after hitting a batter after giving up a homerun. He was called up once this year and his start didn't go all that well. But, in his last four AAA games, he is 3-0 with and ERA of 0.29. I really hope he "gets it" soon, I'm starting to feel sorry for this guy, because it seems his attitude had improved, but his major league stats won't improve. He could be a career AAA All Star.

Yeah I remember him pitching for L-ville here in Indy one time and it's like why can't this guy get it done at the higher level?

6fQjS3M.png

Is this really meant to be one all-encompassing thread for at least 4 different sports? This'll get muddy really quickly.

Don't worry about it...it'll eventually just evolve into a minor league/junior hockey thread.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Is this really meant to be one all-encompassing thread for at least 4 different sports? This'll get muddy really quickly.

Well, I'm trying to keep the latest AHL and IHL threads in here going as "very silly" season threads for those leagues.

Otherwise, yeah...this could get confusing fast.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Detroit GM Ken Holland has stated that the Red Wings have an affiliation agreement with the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL Link.

Detroit will send either Jordan Pearce, Thomas McCollum or Daniel Larsson down to be Toledo's goaltender. Surprisingly, this has yet to be reported by the Walleye or media in Toledo, nor appear on Detroit's web site.

HumanitarianBowl.png

Basically Richmond has become a ghost town for sports. No Minor League Baseball, no hockey this fall. All we have is soccer & a arena football team.... next year :(

There is still hope that by July 1 that we will have baseball, but its a rather sad year in Richmond. It's gonna feel weird not having hockey.

The other rumor around here is that their is a plan to get an ECHL team back in Richmond, by building a new sports venue in a neighboring county. allegedly its going to be 6-8,000 seats & host not only an ECHL team but a NBDL team as well. This IMO is the swift kick that the Capital needs. I want back some hockey & I would love to see the E back in the Capital of Virginia.

baltimoreravens.png

Detroit GM Ken Holland has stated that the Red Wings have an affiliation agreement with the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL Link.

Detroit will send either Jordan Pearce, Thomas McCollum or Daniel Larsson down to be Toledo's goaltender. Surprisingly, this has yet to be reported by the Walleye or media in Toledo, nor appear on Detroit's web site.

:censored: I was really hoping this somehow didn't happen.

Also, isn't Richmond a pretty big market?

6fQjS3M.png

The Storm were a Red Wings affiliate for most of their existence, I have trouble seeing how this would be any different now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey they're gonna send down a really strong goaltender and likely two or three decen prospects, so no matter if i despise the Wings, at least the product at Lucas County Arena should be good.

About Richmond, it doesn't matter how big a city is, if it doesn't have the proper facility and public support, then there won't be a team there and correct me if i'm wrong rvrdgsfn, but aren't those the reasons why Richmond lost the Riverdogs, Renegades, Speed, Braves, etc.?

HumanitarianBowl.png

Hey they're gonna send down a really strong goaltender and likely two or three decen prospects, so no matter if i despise the Wings, at least the product at Lucas County Arena should be good.

About Richmond, it doesn't matter how big a city is, if it doesn't have the proper facility and public support, then there won't be a team there and correct me if i'm wrong rvrdgsfn, but aren't those the reasons why Richmond lost the Riverdogs, Renegades, Speed, Braves, etc.?

Yeah I'm with you stolilv on this one and rams80 I expected it to happen, it's just gonna feel devilish of me to root for a Wings affiliate lol.

6fQjS3M.png

The Oklahoma City Blazers are ceasing operations as OKC will try to get an AHL franchise for the 2010-2011 season.

http://www.newsok.com/okc-blazers-cease-op...masthead_topten

This is a huge development for the CHL. And not in a good way.

Calgary has their newest AHL franchise location.

Seriously, though, are there any teams that either need an AHL affiliate or need to move their team somewhere soon?

The Oklahoma City Blazers are ceasing operations as OKC will try to get an AHL franchise for the 2010-2011 season.

http://www.newsok.com/okc-blazers-cease-op...masthead_topten

This is a huge development for the CHL. And not in a good way.

Calgary has their newest AHL franchise location.

Seriously, though, are there any teams that either need an AHL affiliate or need to move their team somewhere soon?

Word is that Edmonton will be sending its affiliate there.

Archived