The Minor League Sports Thread

crashcarson15

The Oklahoma City Blazers are ceasing operations as OKC will try to get an AHL franchise for the 2010-2011 season.

http://www.newsok.com/okc-blazers-cease-op...masthead_topten

This is a huge development for the CHL. And not in a good way.

Calgary has their newest AHL franchise location.

Seriously, though, are there any teams that either need an AHL affiliate or need to move their team somewhere soon?

Word is that Edmonton will be sending its affiliate there.

Reactivating the dormant Roadrunners franchise there to be precise.

Which in turn leaves Springfield open for.....Anaheim? IIRC they are affiliate-less after running from the red tide ink that was the Iowa Chops.

Otherwise...I agree that hurts the CHL big time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Oklahoma City Blazers are ceasing operations as OKC will try to get an AHL franchise for the 2010-2011 season.

Seriously, though, are there any teams that either need an AHL affiliate or need to move their team somewhere soon?

Which in turn leaves Springfield open for.....Anaheim? IIRC they are affiliate-less after running from the red tide ink that was the Iowa Chops.

Does this get us closer to a "AA" merger between the CHL, ECHL, and the IHL?

6fQjS3M.png

I don't know about that. Franke is not very receptive to joining another league, due to the increase in costs (i.e. travel, ticket price markups, etc.) and he has all the say in the notIHL. There are too many teams in the CHL and ECHL to perform a full merger. If anything, the ECHL could take a few CHL teams to add to the National Conference and the South Division of the American Conference if the CHL folded, but I don't think the league is in that much trouble.

A full merger would be great and could (IMO) bring professional hockey closer to a system of hierarchy of NHL affiliated hockey teams and leagues similar to minor league baseball. AHL would be AAA, the merged CHL-ECHL-IHL league would be AA and so on. Though I doubt this would ever happen.

HumanitarianBowl.png

About as close as we are to seeing a full-on merger between all the various Christian denominations.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

About as close as we are to seeing a full-on merger between all the various Christian denominations.

Agreed.

There is no merger involving the IHL without the Komets. And that merge involving the Komets will never happen because of the PHPA, which their owners want nothing to do with. I doubt the CHL or ECHL would want anything to do with Bloomington or Flint but not Fort Wayne.

2009 - 2010 NBA D-League Affiliations

Albuquerque Thunderbirds - Dallas Mavericks; New Orleans Hornets

Austin Toros - San Antonio Spurs

Bakersfield Jam - Golden State Warriors; Los Angeles Clippers

Dakota Wizards - Memphis Grizzlies; Washington Wizards

Erie BayHawks - Cleveland Cavaliers; Toronto Raptors

Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Detroit Pistons; Indiana Pacers; Milwaukee Bucks

Idaho Stampede - Denver Nuggets; Portland Trail Blazers

Iowa Energy - Chicago Bulls; Phoenix Suns

Los Angeles D-Fenders - Los Angeles Lakers

Maine Red Claws - Boston Celtics; Charlotte Bobcats

Reno Bighorns - Orlando Magic; Sacramento Kings

Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Houston Rockets

Sioux Falls Skyforce - Miami Heat; Minnesota Timberwolves

Springfield Armor - New Jersey Nets; New York Knicks; Philadelphia 76ers

Tulsa 66ers - Oklahoma City Thunder

Utah Flash - Atlanta Hawks; Utah Jazz

An a presser from the Wolves announced this year's divisional alignments - Texas has been swapped for Iowa in the West, while Abbotsford will annoy teams in the North Division with its mere presence.

As for the schedule, looks like no interconference play this year. 54 games in-division, 26 against the conference's other division. And really, that's fine by me. Treat 'em like two separate leagues - the token efforts of 2 or 3 interconference games a year are aggravating more than anything.

EDIT: The Thrashers have signed Jason Krog and Joel Kwiatkowski, making their returns to the Wolves near-certainties. Nice to have them back.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd like to note that Rochester and Syracuse are no longer in the same Conference, let alone Division, and yet they will play 10 times next year. The same applies to them and Binghamton.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well, gotta make sure those upstate New York teams save their energy - don't want to drain them with unnecessarily long trips. You know, while everyone in the Western Conference has to take multiple flights with layovers to and from freaking Abbotsford.

Anyway, when OKC comes in next year, I'd like to see Rochester get the bump to the East, making it 14-16. Run it like two separate leagues, each with 8 teams making the playoffs, and have the respective champs meet each other in the finals. And as long as I'm dreaming of minor league hockey utopia, once the Heat fail, ship them to Des Moines to clean up some small part of that mess, and have a 3-division setup:

1. Chicago, Iowa, Milwaukee, Peoria, Rockford

2. Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Texas

3. Grand Rapids, Hamilton, Lake Erie, Manitoba, Toronto

Feel free to cue up a stop-reel-line-mints jpeg, if so desired.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, gotta make sure those upstate New York teams save their energy - don't want to drain them with unnecessarily long trips. You know, while everyone in the Western Conference has to take multiple flights with layovers to and from freaking Abbotsford.

Anyway, when OKC comes in next year, I'd like to see Rochester get the bump to the East, making it 14-16. Run it like two separate leagues, each with 8 teams making the playoffs, and have the respective champs meet each other in the finals. And as long as I'm dreaming of minor league hockey utopia, once the Heat fail, ship them to Des Moines to clean up some small part of that mess, and have a 3-division setup:

1. Chicago, Iowa, Milwaukee, Peoria, Rockford

2. Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Texas

3. Grand Rapids, Hamilton, Lake Erie, Manitoba, Toronto

Feel free to cue up a stop-reel-line-mints jpeg, if so desired.

Forget that Stop Reel-Line-Mints joke... I'd rather slap you stupid and call you Sally. It's bad enough that the AHL had to suspend the Chops because of those godforsaken idiot Schegels, but I would say this for all Iowans: We want no part of the Calgary Flames in this area of the nation! They've already screwed Omaha and the Quad Cities, no need to further ruin Des Moines' hope for a decent AHL team.

Flint Generals will return for 2009-10

According to "IHL" Chairman Michael Franke, the Generals will play in the IHL this upcoming season. This gives the Colonial/United/Fake IHL 7 teams for 2009-10.

I'll need to see it to believe it, since there's been no news whatsoever about the Generals in terms of a new coach/GM or any players signing.

Hopefully the owners will actually pay their players this year. <_<

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

New owners. I hope, if they have the funds, they pay the old debts but still expect to get it from the past owners. Basically buy the debt like China does. lol

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Question for Northern League followers:

I know that Lake County is coming into the league next year. But so far, I haven't read anything about an eighth team, and obviously, 7 teams do not a baseball league make. Has there been any talk of an 8th team for the league, or is the plan to shut out Winnipeg, and keep plodding along as a six-team circuit, now with lower travel costs?

I know that Lake County is coming into the league next year. But so far, I haven't read anything about an eighth team, and obviously, 7 teams do not a baseball league make. Has there been any talk of an 8th team for the league, or is the plan to shut out Winnipeg, and keep plodding along as a six-team circuit, now with lower travel costs?

What is this Northern League to which you speak of? The one that had the Edmonton Cracker Cats? OHHH, that one. I thought there would be a new team here in the Twin Cities by the name of the Metro Millers(They would've played in Burnsville) but that plan has apparently fallen apart.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Just had a thought on Abbotsford: The debacle in Iowa could really play to their benefit. With Anaheim looking to put their players in any available slots, Abbotsford would be the closest location. And with Calgary's dedication to player development uber alles, the Heat won't be especially motivated to build a winning team concept on the ice. Therefore, instead of having to field a few costly veterans, the Heat could instead get rental roster-fillers on the cheap, courtesy of the Ducks.

The most likely scenario at this stage is a road team.

Our very own EZ Street is trying to help Topeka land a team in the NoL, so we'll see what really happens. Shutting out Winnipeg is a bad move, since they're still one of the teams keeping that league alive.

However, I have no problem with Winnipeg getting fed up and moving to the Golden League, forming a Canadian Division with Edmonton, Calgary and Victoria. And, judging how the GBL does things, Chico and Tijuana.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Last night I was in Reno and took in a triple-A game as the hometown Aces defeated the Jays-affiliated Las Vegas 51s 9-5 in Nevada's own little version of a Giants-Dodgers type rivalry. The announced crowd was around 8,550

Aces Ballpark is a nice triple-A facility right on the edge of the downtown gaming district. By all accounts, the Aces have developed quite the following in Reno, and from what some of the locals have told me, the plans for a new 10,000 seat arena are moving forward and are close to being finalized and Reno would then be awarded an ECHL team.

Reno could also be landing a UFL team soon as well.

Last night I was in Reno and took in a triple-A game as the hometown Aces defeated the Jays-affiliated Las Vegas 51s 9-5 in Nevada's own little version of a Giants-Dodgers type rivalry. The announced crowd was around 8,550

Aces Ballpark is a nice triple-A facility right on the edge of the downtown gaming district. By all accounts, the Aces have developed quite the following in Reno, and from what some of the locals have told me, the plans for a new 10,000 seat arena are moving forward and are close to being finalized and Reno would then be awarded an ECHL team.

Reno could also be landing a UFL team soon as well.

They already have the ECHL franchise. Just don't have ice.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived