Detroit Red Wings

chickenfish13

re3-3.png

OK, so I have decided to postpone my islanders concept. I'm having trouble coming up with anything for it, so am taking a break, and going to go back later. I am not giving up on it, just doing something else for now.

OK, so for part 5, I redesigned the red wings logo. I know it's a classic, so I just tried to modernize it, while keeping the same idea. I hope you enjoy it.

redwing.png

I've always liked it when people try modernize classic logos because where is fun in just leaving them alone. Good for you for trying. On to the concept itself, I like where this going, all you have to do is find away to fill up that empty space like others said before.

Blackhawks.pngBulls.png

Ok, I've done a very similar update for my NHL series which will be appearing soon. You and I have made many of the same simplifications, so I like where this is starting. But, again, there's a bit too much negative space. I'd play around with using the most minimal, simplistic way you can come up with to get some feathers into those wings.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Like it was said before, too much empty space. The feathers are there for a reason. And I'm not sure if you knew this, but the very top part of the wing is actually the wing on the opposite side of the logo. So whatever that red line is for, i don't know. And now, the two wings look like one and it's melting together.

Yeah, I know, and while adding that line I guess i didnt realize I was taking away the other wing. Thanks.

Right now what you have is pretty much the current logo minus a lot of stuff. I think to really do it right you have to look at what makes a classic logo like the Wings work and then take it and put your own spin on it.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here's a Wings update I did a few years ago:

det_wings.gif

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Right now what you have is pretty much the current logo minus a lot of stuff. I think to really do it right you have to look at what makes a classic logo like the Wings work and then take it and put your own spin on it.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here's a Wings update I did a few years ago:

det_wings.gif

/thread.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

det_wings.gif

Batman meets Red Wings = AWESOME. That's so sharp....where's the thread for that so you don't, like, totally steal this guy's thunder

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Batman meets Red Wings = AWESOME. That's so sharp....where's the thread for that so you don't, like, totally steal this guy's thunder

There's a thread for it, but you'll have to dig since it was almost 4 years ago. I just reposted it in the hope of giving him some ideas.

OK, here is an update on the feathers. Enjoy, and C and C. A secondary should be coming soon.

redwings.png

This is nice and clean, but there's 2 things that bug me:

1. the highlights on the wheel should match the curve of the rest of the wheel

2. still too much white space, maybe you could flip the colors (like the Wings logo from the 40s)

Keep at it! :D

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

OK, I know it was quick, but here is an idea for a secondary. It is a horse ( with wings ) which is supposed to represent horsepower, because detroit is the motor city. Enjoy.

There might be too much white space, so if more people agree I will reverse the color on both the primary and secondary.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/c...fish/redsec.png

The secondary logo is a great idea, and I think the style and arrangement of elements you have in the image you posted is a great sketch to start from. There is way too much negative space (as you guessed), and it's leading to a lack of definition in general. Some spots to look at: 1) The head looks a bit "fat" (maybe the snout should be longer) and the mane highlight and face highlight/eye area need to be separated and refined; 2) The legs need some work. Right now they are floating and not attached to everything; and 3) The wings need a bit of work. Like the legs, the way they're attached isn't clear, and their general shape and the shapes of the feather tips seems too ethereal, almost like their made of fire instead of bone and feathers.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived