What flag/sticker is this?

sc49erfan15

So, I see these flags/stickers everywhere on cars, but I don't know what they mean. I assume they're flags, because they're of normal flag proportions and have the basic design of a flag. However, I've only seen them as stickers on cars. They're simple - a horizontal bicolor triband - or basically like the flag of Germany except the top and bottom stripes are both black. The middle stripe is either blue or red. (Come to think of it, I think I saw a green one once, also). I made a basic illustration in Paint to illustrate what I'm talking about.

flags.png

My best guess is that they're political symbols - Democrat or Republican, but I could be wrong. That would also explain the one instance where I saw a green one. What the heck are these?

If it helps any, I've also seen quite a few with the South Carolina palmetto and crescent, with the same design except the blue line (I've only seen a blue one) is diagonal so it goes through both the palmetto and crescent. Maybe it's regional. Whatever it is, it's been bugging me.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

So, I see these flags/stickers everywhere on cars, but I don't know what they mean. I assume they're flags, because they're of normal flag proportions and have the basic design of a flag. However, I've only seen them as stickers on cars. They're simple - a horizontal bicolor triband - or basically like the flag of Germany except the top and bottom stripes are both black. The middle stripe is either blue or red. (Come to think of it, I think I saw a green one once, also). I made a basic illustration in Paint to illustrate what I'm talking about.

flags.png

My best guess is that they're political symbols - Democrat or Republican, but I could be wrong. That would also explain the one instance where I saw a green one. What the heck are these?

If it helps any, I've also seen quite a few with the South Carolina palmetto and crescent, with the same design except the blue line (I've only seen a blue one) is diagonal so it goes through both the palmetto and crescent. Maybe it's regional. Whatever it is, it's been bugging me.

Edit: The blue ones have to do with police officers. Some show states for which state they are from, some are plain and used to show support for cops and also to honor cops killed in duty. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the red ones are for the same reason just for firefighters? There are a number of variations so it's kind of confusing. I just do know that they all deal with emergency personnel in some way. Some of them have a C in the middle which stands for "concealed weapon". Just a heads up. :D

Ahh... that makes sense. I didn't even think about that. Thanks, guys!

...but does anyone know what the green one would have been? I thought I was onto something with the political party thing, in that case the Green Party. Military police?

Ahh... that makes sense. I didn't even think about that. Thanks, guys!

...but does anyone know what the green one would have been? I thought I was onto something with the political party thing, in that case the Green Party. Military police?

EMT?

saBS.png

After some searching, I found my answer. I put two and two together after learning that the blue sticker represents law enforcement - the "Thin Blue Line" - and sure enough, that's what it's called.

Variations

After the popularity of the Thin Blue Line emblem for Law Enforcement came a number of other "thin lines".[1][dead link]

* Thin Red Line - Firefighters

* Thin Silver Line - Corrections officers

* Thin Yellow Line - Security Officers, Loss prevention agents

* Thin Green Line - Federal, military, park rangers

* Thin White Line - Emergency medical services. The thin white line differs from other thin lines in that the background is blue instead of black, with a white line crossing horizontally through the middle.

There is also a yellow version for troop support, but it is not referred to as "Thin Yellow Line".

... Some of them have a C in the middle which stands for "concealed weapon". Just a heads up. :D

Why on earth would some one say they have a "concealed weapon"? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? If the sticker is to tell some one there is a police officer in the car it would stand to reason that they are armed. Most police in the USA carry on and off and in many cases it is required. Also if you are just a "regular Joe" and carry you usually if not always inform a police officer if stopped.

But thanks for the info.

I thought it was some kinda Estonia thing, or a local flag for some place. On a design stand point it misses the mark if it is to stand for the "thin blue line" because it is not thinner than the other lines on the flag.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived