Astros Hats

Bmac

Good. It's great that the Astros remember the most important scientific achievement in history.

On a somewhat lighter note, the Astros actually remembered something that happened in space and not the Old West! :P

Hmmm... I'd put Ben Franklin's discovery that lightning = electricity, and Einstein's general theory of relativity up there too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was about to go to the game tonight when I heard they would be handing this out at the door. It wasn't listed under their regular promo schedule so it's not surprising that these look a little thrown together.

Really, they look like the Johnson Space Center (mission control) gift shop had a surplus of Apollo 11 hats and they had the Astros' star slapped on the back.

The iPod certianly has to be in the top 5 (if not top 3) most important scientific achievements of all time. We ain't flying back to 'da moon any time soon (if we even did once), but I can bump my Brittany Spears for 4.5 hours without a recharge. Take that, NASA.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Astros should have made this anniversary a season-long marketing theme. A cheap government gift-shop cap for one night just isn't enough for a team with this name in that town. A perfect opportunity to introduce a slightly more space-age element to the team's branding, and maybe do moon-themed promotions all season.

(For example, now that the Casper Ghosts have proven the concept, how about the Astros dropping their sand color for glow-in-the-dark bluish white? Keep the black -- the color of space -- and the brick -- the color of Mars -- and turn the sand into something more like the color of the moon. Maybe adopt an alternate hat for all home games in July or something with a glow-in-the-dark moon instead of a star. And so forth. Coulda been huge.)

20082614447.png

The Astros should have made this anniversary a season-long marketing theme. A cheap government gift-shop cap for one night just isn't enough for a team with this name in that town. A perfect opportunity to introduce a slightly more space-age element to the team's branding, and maybe do moon-themed promotions all season.

(For example, now that the Casper Ghosts have proven the concept, how about the Astros dropping their sand color for glow-in-the-dark bluish white? Keep the black -- the color of space -- and the brick -- the color of Mars -- and turn the sand into something more like the color of the moon. Maybe adopt an alternate hat for all home games in July or something with a glow-in-the-dark moon instead of a star. And so forth. Coulda been huge.)

I don't know. The glow-in-the-dark hat idea seems a little minor league-ish. The color idea isn't bad, but the gimmick would be too much for a major league franchise.

As for the hats, the team was wearing fitted New Era's on the field. They gave out adjustable ones. There isn't a good pic online yet, but I watched the game last night. You could see the MLB logo on the back of the fitted cap they wore. The Astros star was on the side.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

black -- the color of space

The deep blue of the late 90's set reminds me more of space. The black looks flat while the deep blue seems darker and more mysterious. More like looking up at the night sky and seeing scores of stars.

The color idea isn't bad, but the gimmick would be too much for a major league franchise.

This is the franchise that brought you, Tal's Hill, the flagpole in centerfield, the pop-fly Crawford boxes, the "Eat More Fowl" poles, train and tracks in centerfield, and much more.

What's one more gimmick?

(We're celebrating the 10th season of my hatred of that ballpark, I apologize that I can't let it go.)

Saw one of these hats today up close. Very lame but damn do people love them.

(We're celebrating the 10th season of my hatred of that ballpark, I apologize that I can't let it go.)

No need to apologize. Seeing your boys get whipped tonight was solace enough.

This is the franchise that brought you, Tal's Hill, the flagpole in centerfield, the pop-fly Crawford boxes, the "Eat More Fowl" poles, train and tracks in centerfield, and much more.

What's one more gimmick?

You mean I'm not the only one? Tal's Hill and the flagpole were enough for me . . . in the category of "let's add things like they used to have in old time parks (by necessity) just because we can." The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived