ESPN Salary Crunch

DelayedPenalty

ESPN has this dandy new feature that lets you enter your annual income and it will tell you exactly how long/how many stats a bunch of different professional athletes take to make you what you make in a year.

For example, I entered my salary, compared to Marion Hossa. It takes him exactly .47 games to make what I make in a year :( It takes CC Sabathia .37 STRIKEOUTS to make what I make in a year! He has to throw 1 strike and he makes more than me!!

You will need to work 686.57 years in order to make CC Sabathia's annual salary.

Failure Calculator

If you really want to be technical about it, Sabathia doesn't even have to do that much. He has a guaranteed contract, so he gets paid even if his arms falls off tomorrow.

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

One of the most wealthy people I know takes in about $500,000 a year and he lives a very comfortable life. I entered in $500,000 just to see where these guys stand. CC Sabathia earns that in .76 games or about 5.5 innings according to salary crunch. Unbelieveable when you think he only pitches every fifth day and he only works from march to october.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It makes you wonder how some of these guys can go bankrupt.

Women!

Hahaha. Well put. But its also because once they recieve their big contract, they just start spending and spending without keeping track of what they are buying.

glossysig5.png

I think it has always been a hot debate, professional athletes worth vs. a doctor, or a teacher, or a lawyer, which is more important? Saving lives, or hitting a baseball? Seems like a no brainer to me. Now, can a doctor be paid $161 million to save lives? No, the hospital doesn't have that kind of money because they don't have ticket sales, merchandise revenues, food vendors, licensing agreements, video game contracts, etc.

Sports are just like eBay, whatever someone is willing to pay is what the auction will go for. Ridiculously high amounts of money for someone to play a game. Which is also why I hate when athletes hold out on their contract to get more. Why? $6.5 million a season isn't enough for you to run around 16 times a season and catch a football? That doesn't support the lavish lifestyle you've become accustomed to? :censored: you you selfish son of a bitch!

I think it has always been a hot debate, professional athletes worth vs. a doctor, or a teacher, or a lawyer, which is more important? Saving lives, or hitting a baseball? Seems like a no brainer to me. Now, can a doctor be paid $161 million to save lives? No, the hospital doesn't have that kind of money because they don't have ticket sales, merchandise revenues, food vendors, licensing agreements, video game contracts, etc.

Sports are just like eBay, whatever someone is willing to pay is what the auction will go for. Ridiculously high amounts of money for someone to play a game. Which is also why I hate when athletes hold out on their contract to get more. Why? $6.5 million a season isn't enough for you to run around 16 times a season and catch a football? That doesn't support the lavish lifestyle you've become accustomed to? :censored: you you selfish son of a bitch!

:headdesk:

You had me until you completely went off the rails here.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's true though. The men and women charged with educating our youth are paid like crap, but payers will hold out and hire guys like Boris to get them more money. It's sad but that's the kind of World we live in.

How am I off the rails?

I'm not sure, but I think you answered your own complaint. In many cases, players are actually paid under market value. Sure, doctors or firemen are more "important" to the well-being of society, but you know one very effective way to measure importance? Money. There is SO much money poured into the sports industry, their salaries are driven up as a result. It seems ludicrous, but if their salaries were all reduced it would be like a crime because then the owners would become even more filthy rich, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Not to mention a certain players' union outcry who would reference this same stuff. It seems all greedy to hold out for a better contract, etc., and it somewhat is, but first, it is hard to pass up more money, no matter how much it is and how much you would make anyway, and second, some of these guys are actually justified. Even someone like Albert Pujols, who I believe is paid a fair (actually, I meant "good," not "fair," because it is quite unfair to him) amount, still is like buying a new Porsche for $100. He produces so much money for that team that if he held out for a better deal, it probably still would be too low and he would also be completely justified.

I am a teacher by trade. If 20,000 people pay $50 bucks a pop 41 times a year plus bought Charger #77 jerseys I'd get millions too. But I knowingly went into a profession where I knew I could make a comfortable living and not mega-bucks.

I don't begrudge anybody's salary as long as it can be justified by the company they work for and its through legal means.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

How am I off the rails?

Payscales are determined by scarcity of the job being performed, the performance in the course of the same, and the amount of revenue they bring in. We have thousands upon thousands of teachers performing at a variety of levels bringing in minimal revenue to their schools. However, for those thousands upon thousands of teachers, there are only a small handful of people who can be professional athletes at a higher level, whilst generating much revenue for their teams. The market says that both are being paid commensurate to what they contribute; therefore there is no injustice.

/There's no money in helping society.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived