2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though they didn't play all that great, I'd like to think Ryan/Turner/White/Gonzalez is the best QB/RB/WR/TE combo in the league.

That's my favorite part about the win: The Falcons as an offense were pretty off for most of the night (save for the possessions when they went to the no-huddle...those drives were beauties.), yet they still did enough to win. But like MDC said:

Orlando "I'll start the play whenever I want" Pace didnt hurt your guys chances either

True, & I'm now his #1 fan. :P Seriously, I saw him during the 2nd quarter & thought to myself "Oh wow, there's Orlando Pace. That's where he ended up," then that happens at the end.

In other news, Jim Zorn has been fired!

...from calling plays. He & the VP of Football Operations are going to meet Monday morning so they can decide who's going to call the plays. How much do you wanna bet that if that meeting goes awry (at least from Zorn's point of view.), Zorn will be done?

Isn't that in principle a firing?

Possibly. What does Bobby Bowden do now again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just saw the Wesley hit on that Tampa punt returner. Wesley should be suspended the maximum amount...that was a dirty hit.

The Titans have quit, at least they did today. The only thing they have going for them is that their schedule gets a lot easier after their bye week. The Indianapolis game aside, they can realistically win the rest of their games.

Even though they didn't play all that great, I'd like to think Ryan/Turner/White/Gonzalez is the best QB/RB/WR/TE combo in the league.

That's my favorite part about the win: The Falcons as an offense were pretty off for most of the night (save for the possessions when they went to the no-huddle...those drives were beauties.), yet they still did enough to win. But like MDC said:

Orlando "I'll start the play whenever I want" Pace didnt hurt your guys chances either

True, & I'm now his #1 fan. :P Seriously, I saw him during the 2nd quarter & thought to myself "Oh wow, there's Orlando Pace. That's where he ended up," then that happens at the end.

In other news, Jim Zorn has been fired!

...from calling plays. He & the VP of Football Operations are going to meet Monday morning so they can decide who's going to call the plays. How much do you wanna bet that if that meeting goes awry (at least from Zorn's point of view.), Zorn will be done?

Surely Zorn is pretty much toast anyway now. Maybe this buys him until the end of the season, but how can you do that to a guy and have any confidence in him?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

What's frustrating about this Bears loss is that the defensive coaching staff has been so lauded since training camp, and what do they do with two weeks to rest, practice, and gameplan? They appear completely baffled by a no-huddle offense and a five-wide set. That's ridiculous. The Falcons are good but they aren't that good; they're right in the same second echelon of teams as the Bears. They weren't doing anything or playing anyone that was so amazing that you just have to shrug your shoulders and concede the loss. It was very much a winnable game, but they earned that loss by taking stupid penalties and running stupid plays poorly.

What's more frustrating is that Cutler is going to be blamed for everything because he threw two interceptions. I'm willing to budget for interceptions as the risk you run with a vertical game. Two fumbles from the running back, one on the goal line, I cannot abide. Cutler will take it on the chin from the media nonetheless because it's paradoxically easier to blame him somehow than looking at football fundamentals like blocking and tackling, where the Bears underperformed last night.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's frustrating about this Bears loss is that the defensive coaching staff has been so lauded since training camp, and what do they do with two weeks to rest, practice, and gameplan? They appear completely baffled by a no-huddle offense and a five-wide set. That's ridiculous. The Falcons are good but they aren't that good; they're right in the same second echelon of teams as the Bears. They weren't doing anything or playing anyone that was so amazing that you just have to shrug your shoulders and concede the loss. It was very much a winnable game, but they earned that loss by taking stupid penalties and running stupid plays poorly.

What's more frustrating is that Cutler is going to be blamed for everything because he threw two interceptions. I'm willing to budget for interceptions as the risk you run with a vertical game. Two fumbles from the running back, one on the goal line, I cannot abide. Cutler will take it on the chin from the media nonetheless because it's paradoxically easier to blame him somehow than looking at football fundamentals like blocking and tackling, where the Bears underperformed last night.

It's also easier to blame Cutler because he's a drunk, a twat, and a douchebag with an ego larger than Soldier Field. However, I'd rather have him on my favorite team than the guy they currently have (who was benched this week).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I guess it's a good thing Soldier Field isn't very big!

I said larger, but I didn't say how much larger. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah yeah I got what you meant. I just wanted to sneak in another chance to kvetch about one of the league's cornerstone franchises playing in an undersized dump.

I don't mind that Cutler has an ego. He should. He's been asked to turn around a franchise that thought a quarterback is what you get when you don't pay tolls in exact change. He damn well better believe in himself.

Cutler is what they're calling a 'franchise quarterback' these days? Wow. Your point is valid, any QB will throw some picks and it can be forgiven IF the football is reasonably close to the receiver. The second one was ridiculous, five feet over the receiver's head.

I may be spoiled from watching Drew Brees but there are a lot of NFL QBs I'd take over Cutler. Based on results, he's way overrated. Look at last year's Bears-Falcons game. Similar situation at the end and Orton got it done. Cutler didn't. And how's Denver doing btw?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Cutler had an ego long before he arrived in Denver. The kid just ain't as good as he or people think he is.

Brady

P.Manning

Brees

Farve

Warner

Rivers

E. Manning

Roethlisberger

Hasslebeck

McNabb

Palmer

Rodgers

Ryan

Flacco

Orton- HA! HA!

These guys are all better right now than Culter.

If my calculations are correct it puts him as a middle of the road avg. QB with a big arm. That and a cup of coffee will get you NUTH'IN!

You are spoiled from watching Brees. Sure, I'd rather have Brady, Brees, or either Manning, but those guys weren't gift-wrapped for the Bears. And actually, based on results, Cutler had some of the best first three years of any NFL quarterback.

Look at last year's Bears-Falcons game. Similar situation at the end and Orton got it done. Cutler didn't. And how's Denver doing btw?

I like and respect you but I have no idea how any of this makes any sense. Gross oversimplification. Cutler couldn't get it done because his offensive line couldn't block for him or wait till the snap to jump, and his running back fumbled twice. Cutler did everything he could to win the game for the Bears. He threw deep balls. He broke off a 30-yard run. You can't blame Jay Cutler for the loss unless the words "Jay Cutler" are a synecdoche for "the Chicago Bears offense," which they shouldn't be. This is exactly what I was talking about.

The Bears lost a close game on the road to a good team, so its not like the Jets losing to the sorry Bills at home, or the Titans getting colaxed by 59.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

For as many times as the Chiefs commit suicide in every game, you'd think a team could take advantage (as every team has done previously). Jim Zorn and the 'Skins have about as many problems as my Chiefs.

Archived