SEC Preview Article

Brave-Bird 08

Hey people,

None of you guys know me personally, but I am a communications major and do a lot of writing, more often than not on sports. This is just one of the many articles I have written for fun on BR

I thought it would be cool to get some CCSL'ers opinions on my stuff!

SEC Preview and Predictions

Please read your text before you post it. Immediately:

1- ".vs" should not be in a sentence. Write the whole word.

2- Read all of them again. If you pause when you read it aloud, then you should have a comma, or edit your sentence. If you are going to give good and bad news within a sentence, then give bad news first.

3- Use positive words over negative ones. As a result, you are not seen as being negative towards many teams.

Hey people,

None of you guys know me personally, but I am a communications major and do a lot of writing, more often than not on sports. This is just one of the many articles I have written for fun on BR

I thought it would be cool to get some CCSL'ers opinions on my stuff!

SEC Preview and Predictions

Please read your text before you post it. Immediately:

1- ".vs" should not be in a sentence. Write the whole word.

2- Read all of them again. If you pause when you read it aloud, then you should have a comma, or edit your sentence. If you are going to give good and bad news within a sentence, then give bad news first.

3- Use positive words over negative ones. As a result, you are not seen as being negative towards many teams.

Yeah, that is all stuff I am aware of. I was looking more along the lines of how you guys all felt about the previews and predictions, not the style. If you go through some of my more refined stuff on my profile, there are more quality articles.

Here is the most popular one I have written. It made it's way onto CBS Sportsline for a good week through the feed.

Tebow- A Prime Example of Glorified Mediocrity

What I want to emphasize is that if it is poorly written, you lose the reader. Content could be great, but if your write poorly it does not matter what your content is (see the writings from NJTank).

Arkansas will be better than Auburn because Petrino is a better HC than Chizik.

In regards to the Tebow story, as I write, the UF program has had 25 player arrests under Urban Meyer and I believe that if not for Tebow, they would not have won last season and that it is him and his "morals" which are a driving force. Outside of that team, we see that Harvin as no self control and I even think that Spikes did not leave because Tebow has a level of maturity that is not normally seen in college. Note that they lost to a Senior led Michigan team in the 2008 Capital One Bowl too. Maturity and leadership means a lot as it did in that game.

What I want to emphasize is that if it is poorly written, you lose the reader. Content could be great, but if your write poorly it does not matter what your content is (see the writings from NJTank).

Arkansas will be better than Auburn because Petrino is a better HC than Chizik.

In regards to the Tebow story, as I write, the UF program has had 25 player arrests under Urban Meyer and I believe that if not for Tebow, they would not have won last season and that it is him and his "morals" which are a driving force. Outside of that team, we see that Harvin as no self control and I even think that Spikes did not leave because Tebow has a level of maturity that is not normally seen in college. Note that they lost to a Senior led Michigan team in the 2008 Capital One Bowl too. Maturity and leadership means a lot as it did in that game.

Oh, there is no doubt he is a leader. What I wrote was, well...to stir things up a little bit. My standpoint is that he has all of the intangibles, but you cannot argue the talent around him is amazing and the offense he runs is...qb friendly.

It requires alot of short throws...crossing patterns, screens, etc. I do not disrespect him at all, but it is just interesting to think about how top athletes may sometimes be hindered because of who they play for and who is around them.

I definitely wrote the article to stir up an argument, but one of reason...alot of the Florida fans on there found it very offensive haha.

Not to be a jackass, but I'm not impressed with either your Tim Tebow article or your SEC preview. More fluff than stuff.

You say Tebow's mediocre solely because EA says he is 99 and you see him on Sportscenter too much. Where are the stats? Who's better? If you are going to label him mediocre, why?? Can he not throw the 15-yard out? Can he not read defenses? Is his accuracy below average compared to other college quarterbacks? You write that you're going to expand your argument...then write about how he's won a national championship and that's it. Really? That's your expanded argument?

Just because he's overhyped and ESPN fishes for Tebow stories doesn't make him mediocre.

As far as your SEC preview, dfwabel said it best - you lose the audience if it's poorly written. Most of those capsules are written like you're talking to your buddies. If you want some credit, write like you're writing for a real newspaper.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jackass. Just remember that when you adverstise your stuff, it better stand out.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not to be a jackass, but I'm not impressed with either your Tim Tebow article or your SEC preview. More fluff than stuff.

You say Tebow's mediocre solely because EA says he is 99 and you see him on Sportscenter too much. Where are the stats? Who's better? If you are going to label him mediocre, why?? Can he not throw the 15-yard out? Can he not read defenses? Is his accuracy below average compared to other college quarterbacks? You write that you're going to expand your argument...then write about how he's won a national championship and that's it. Really? That's your expanded argument?

Just because he's overhyped and ESPN fishes for Tebow stories doesn't make him mediocre.

As far as your SEC preview, dfwabel said it best - you lose the audience if it's poorly written. Most of those capsules are written like you're talking to your buddies. If you want some credit, write like you're writing for a real newspaper.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jackass. Just remember that when you adverstise your stuff, it better stand out.

Did you read the Tebow article? I had plenty of evidence that expanded on my argument. Also, I had a few grammatical errors in my preview, but usually a preview is written in that fashion. Read Athlon. That Tebow article made it on the front page of the CFB section for a week, so obviously it stood out to the BR members :D

Did you read the Tebow article? I had plenty of evidence that expanded on my argument. Also, I had a few grammatical errors in my preview, but usually a preview is written in that fashion. Read Athlon. That Tebow article made it on the front page of the CFB section for a week, so obviously it stood out to the BR members :D

I did read the Tebow article, probably about 12 times looking for any kind of substance. Your argument does not expand when you say it does. It's' nothing more than, and I'm paraphrasing, "The media glorifies the individual rather than the team - look at LeBron James." If that's your "expanded" argument, then you are not really arguing Tebow is mediocre because 1) You don't have any stats or hard data that proves your argument and 2) You are more upset with the media than with Tebow.

You have more compelling arguments in the comments section than in the article, and that's not a good thing. I agree with all of the Florida fans that called you out...and I'm not a Florida fan. That one Florida fan provided all kinds of stats of why Tebow is pretty good, at least better than 110 other college quarterbacks, and only then did you make begin making your point. Your argument in the article itself is weak at best.

And I read Athlon - every year I order all of their college football magazines. And okay yes, your preview is sort of in the same style, but I'm ultimately lost with poor grammar and sentence structure, and odd choices of words in every capsule. I know your young, and in school to better your writing style, and good on you. But right now, even though you probably think you are high speed because your article was on BR, your writing is...well, mediocre.

Just some examples of what I mean...

"Jordan Jefferson sures up the quarterback situation" -- sures up??

"Georgia loses expectations" -- expectations aren't tangible, so Georgia can't lose them.

"Tennessee's problems exist in the question at quarterback with Crompton and Stephens both back" - you really think that reads well? How about "Tennessee has concerns at quarterback even though both Crompton and Stephens return this year"

"Yeah, it's pretty insane to think that Tennessee placed behind Vanderbilt last year, however, don't expect the same result this season....Don't be surprised if Vandy beats them out again in the east, though—the decision to put UT over Vandy in this prediction was essentially a coin flip." Which side of the fence are you on? And writing "Yeah, it's pretty insane" sounds like you're writing to your buddy. I'm a football fan, not your buddy.

Vandy - "The receiving corpse is packed full of new faces; however, they return their entire offensive line." Please tell me you know the difference between corps and corpse. And do the receivers return their entire offensive line, or does the team?

Finally, and this is just a logical complaint, not grammatical - Ole Miss has that "always tough" schedule, despite non-conference teams such as Memphis, SE Louisiana, UAB, Northern Arizona, and then LSU and Alabama at home. Those four non-conference games don't sound tough.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I did read the Tebow article, probably about 12 times looking for any kind of substance. You have more compelling arguments in the comments section than in the article, and that's not a good thing. I agree with all of the Florida fans that called you out...and I'm not a Florida fan.

And I read Athlon - every year I order all of their college football magazines. Never have I read an Athlon article that talks about mediocrity based on a questionable EA rating and too many Sportscenter highlights.

I have to agree with WSU here, it sounds like you have a gripe with him because he is on Sportscenter way to much and has 99 rating on NCAA Football 10. Someone with a 172+ Quarterback rating in his 2007 and 08, someone who throws over 3000 yards in 2007 and 2700 in 2008 and has only 10 Interceptions in those 2 years are hardly mediocre worthy. I also learn that the offense is on the field also has to do with how the Quarterback directs the team. He has shown time and time again that he is the leader on the Gators. It's not always about numbers, it's how the results that are done on the field that matter.

I guess men like Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw weren't all that great either compared to your assessment, why because they had great men around them. A great player is someone who can utilize these players in anyway imaginable and be great doing so. Tebow is a player who can do that.

So I really haven't seen much evidence on your part that can deem Tim Tebow a mediocre player.

Ball is in your court

... I know your young, and in school to better your writing style, ...

Sorry... had to do it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I find the Tebow article to be poor. It's based off of a fan's assumptions. You loose your reader when you admit you're a Georgia fan, that alone you lost credibility and then you talk about his ratings from a game, you lost another significant portion of your readers, and then the confusing LeBron example. I have no clue what you are talking about, nor do I care, but when I think LeBron James, I think the face of the NBA, so if you think that Tebow isn't great then why are you comparing him to the face of the NBA? You sit there and say that he can't throw 50 yards, and yet you admit that the offense isn't geared for that. So how do you know he can't throw 50 yards? Have you watched him in practice? Do you know if their game plan has that in it? No. I've seen many quarterbacks who can throw 50, 60, even 70 yards down field and can't hit a 5 yard hitch. Playing QB isn't how far you can throw, it's how you manage the game. It's how you pick apart the defense and lead your team to a score, not how far you can throw. You're only real points that make sense are the points about Chris Leak winning a championship and then being forgotten and that football is a team game and that Tebow uses his teammates. The first point of writing is to establish credibility and you show none. If you had an interview with a coach, scout, NFL GM, a player on the Georgia team, etc. your article might have some credibility, but you have none of that. You're article is not informative, it's just another opinion piece that says nothing except you are a Georgia fan that hates Florida and Tim Tebow.

Archived