Viking Ship logo concept

BucsBoy02

(Update 2 - Post #6, Update 3 - Post #9)

I'm at it again, another Viking ship logo. This time I've tried something new. I've never really been good at angled view type logo's so here it goes.

To start off I used my high school colors, Purple, White, and a touch of Silver. You'll probably be able to guess where I got the inspiration and idea from. I think it turned out well, my only dislike is the tail end of the ship. I'm kinda stumped on what to do with it.

VikingShip2009.png

I was seriously just working on a viking ship logo, but yours is so much better. I like it, but the real viking ships were much longer and had oars on the side.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Yeah It either needs oars or the shading that indicates the planking needs worked on (in fact I think that needs work either way). Right now that shading looks like little wings so without oars the whole boat looks like a dragon rather than just the figurehead on the bow. I'd also look at indicating the other side of the boat, as right now you get no sense of the part you'd actually sit in.

It's a great start but needs a little work to make it look more boat like and less animal like.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I think bottom left is the best one. Great work on this, keep it up! I agree some oars on the sides would make this honestly perfect. Other than that, I have no complaints nor spot any flaws.

Also an idea - Perhaps this could be used for a collegieate team like Cleveland State or Portland State, as a primary or alternate?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys! Here is an update, with a couple different color schemes also.

1. Added oars.

2. Added a little line between the ship and sail to define where the other side of the ship would be. Or at least thats what I was going for.

3. I resized the whole logo vertically so it looks wider and looks like the ship is longer.

4. Reworked the shading.

VikingShip200930.png

It's looking pretty good. The only thing that could use a little work is the spot were the oars go into the ship. Those little dots look strange. I don't know how it should look, but I'm sure you can figure it out. Perhaps individual square windows or something of that nature. Keep it up, all the color schemes work.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Updated version 3, a few small changes.

1. Changed the shape of where the oars come out of the ship. Not really sure on this one, but its not as distracting as the circles.

2. Gave the mouth a little more detail.

3. Moved the eye slightly left and down.

I'm still not sure about the tail end of the ship, I think it looks alright. But It just doesn't seem to look right for me. I'll have tinker around with it. Seems the more detail I add the better it looks, but my whole intent at first was to go with as little detail as possible.

VikingShip200960.png

1. Changed the shape of where the oars come out of the ship. Not really sure on this one, but its not as distracting as the circles.

I'm still not sure about the tail end of the ship, I think it looks alright. But It just doesn't seem to look right for me. I'll have tinker around with it. Seems the more detail I add the better it looks, but my whole intent at first was to go with as little detail as possible.

VikingShip200960.png

While having as little detail as possible is a noble intention you still have to have enough detail to communicate your idea quickly to the viewer, especially in sports logos where they are often seen moving. Dont worry you havent crossed the line into cluttered or busy right now the design is still clean and simple but now has everything it needs, I wouldn't add anything else, all thats left is to adjust those elements slightly.

I think the problem with the back end of the boat it that it seems to square off, when (if i remember rightly from primary school history) it should be a fairly similar shape to the front. Search the net for photos of reconstructions to check but I'm pretty sure they were almost symmetrical. The only other thing I would suggest would be to make the mast a little taller and move the flag up a touch, in fact you might not need to increase the mast but I'd definitely lift the flag slightly, just to separate it from the top of the sail. As it stands just now when the whole logo is outlined it's kinda getting swallowed up and starts to look like part of the sail or a mistake in the outline, it needs to be more defined in the final shape.

Looking good though, the additions and work you've put in have really helped tighten this logo up. Have you decided who you are going to use it for and what sport they play?

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

VikingShip200960.png

While having as little detail as possible is a noble intention you still have to have enough detail to communicate your idea quickly to the viewer, especially in sports logos where they are often seen moving. Dont worry you havent crossed the line into cluttered or busy right now the design is still clean and simple but now has everything it needs, I wouldn't add anything else, all thats left is to adjust those elements slightly.

I think the problem with the back end of the boat it that it seems to square off, when (if i remember rightly from primary school history) it should be a fairly similar shape to the front. Search the net for photos of reconstructions to check but I'm pretty sure they were almost symmetrical. The only other thing I would suggest would be to make the mast a little taller and move the flag up a touch, in fact you might not need to increase the mast but I'd definitely lift the flag slightly, just to separate it from the top of the sail. As it stands just now when the whole logo is outlined it's kinda getting swallowed up and starts to look like part of the sail or a mistake in the outline, it needs to be more defined in the final shape.

Looking good though, the additions and work you've put in have really helped tighten this logo up. Have you decided who you are going to use it for and what sport they play?

9erssteve

Perfectly put, without enough detail it would look like a blob (See my initial post for blob graphic.) lol

Are you talking about the little pennant/flag on the mast? If so, I've tried to make the mast taller and move the pennant/flag up then re outline all of it. But it end's up looking cluttered having the outline of the pennant/flag and then the outline of the top of the mast. Kind of scream, hey look at me I'm up here.

Nope, haven't decided on a team or a sport yet. I'm thinking football.

Quick edit: Changed the pennant/flag.

VikingShip200970.png

^ What's the point of posting that? It's a viking ship, but it's a completely different angle and basically all the details are different. Are all the teams with bulldog mascots infringing on each other? Edit: nvm

Anyway I really like this, but you should make the rows a bit longer... they just seem like something you would paddle a canoe with, not a massive vessel like a viking ship... this is sort of what I'm thinking:

6740-viking-ship.jpg

I was showing a ship that had a tail, he said he didnt know what to do with the tail

Alright, I was wondering about that. You just posted the logo with no explanation. Got me a little confused. But yeah, before I started on my logo I had seen the WWU logo. I wanted to create something that was kinda like if the Buccaneers Alt. logo and the WWU logo had gotten busy and had a kid. lol

Buc, I'll bet, that you notice the tail thing more than anyone. I think the logo looks great. You've done a nice job. However, if you do want to "fix" it, all you have to do is, extend that light line that is under the sail up to the point of the tail and bring that line to a point. That would effectively make the tail two-dimensional like the rest of the ship. As far as the oars go; again, I think they look fine but, you could suggest oars with just solid straight lines that "disappear" into the water. I've seen that somewhere before (maybe the old Argo logo) and it looked fine. Technically, when you're in full stroke, the end of the oar should be completely in the water. I should know...I used to be a Viking; you know...pillaging, plundering...lots of travel...the pay sucked, but it was a good life...Then I got married...oh don't get me going on that...

I was showing a ship that had a tail, he said he didnt know what to do with the tail

Alright, I was wondering about that. You just posted the logo with no explanation. Got me a little confused. But yeah, before I started on my logo I had seen the WWU logo. I wanted to create something that was kinda like if the Buccaneers Alt. logo and the WWU logo had gotten busy and had a kid. lol

If you're thinking Bucs alt., why not try replacing the dragon head with a skull, much like the ship that sits inside Raymond James Stadium. Just an idea.

I like you're concept so for, but still seems a little static to me. Maybe some waves would help? Something to indicate motion.

Thanks Sparky, I took that advice and ran with it. Haha GMS I was thinking simple like the Buc's alt. I could try a skull though, it could be a Pirate Viking battle ship haha.

VikingShip200980.png

Thought of this just after posting the last update. Added some shading to the tail end.

Vikingshipred.png

Archived