Jim Johnson has passed away

NEW.ERA

R.I.P. Jim Johnson. Man I know he'll be missed BIG TIME in Philadelphia...and in NFL circles.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Very sad. I had a feeling something was up when they promoted the interim DC to the full-time job. Still, very sad.

He was wheel-chair bound shortly after the NFC Championship loss to AZ, but continued to coach some minicamps, before taking a leave-of-absence. It is unfortunate, but it was only a matter of time. I think Sean McDermott's promotion had more to do with the realization that Johnson wouldn't be back for training camp, and less because his death was imminent (not sure if they even knew how close he was, though it was known that the survival range for people with his cancer was less than 2 years, and he was treated before last season.)

I rarely check the "user comments" on ESPN.com stories, after quickly realizing that 99% of people who post on those are just idiots, but I looked tonight, and have to say that I'm floored by the responses from fans of the other NFC East teams. The show of respect for Johnson is very refreshing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Even if people aren't Eagle fans (or are rivals) respect is so well deserved for Johnson. He's part of the reason I'd tune in to every Eagles game, and it's truly tragic to see him go, especially as a diehard Philly fan. I understand he probably wouldn't have done much for the team this year, but to see him go is just, well, sucks.

RIP

Edit: Never realized he had 100 wins in 10 years, that's incredibly impressive.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Was thinking the other day (when Sean McDermott was promoted) how lucky the Eagles have been with their DCs (at least since I've been a fan:)

Jeff Fisher (Buddy Ryan)

Bud Carson

Emmit Thomas (not a lot of good years)

Jim Johnson

There were certainly some years under Johnson that the defensive wasn't that great (teams would routinely run down their throats) but the overall body of work was undeniable. The guy made Jeremiah Trotter, and was instrumental in sending countless players to the pro bowl - many of which never made it after they left the team and played under another scheme. Brian Dawkins credits a lot of his success to JJ's defensive scheme, as did Troy Vincent, Hugh Douglas, and many others.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sean McDermott has his work cut out for him to follow in the footsteps of Jim Johnson. So well respected, so in control of his side of the ball that Andy Reid rarely if ever had to pay any mind to the defense with Johnson at the helm. Sean's wise and has worked his way up the coaching ranks. He and I also share a high school alma mater.

Also neither here nor there, but I learned of the news of Jim Johnson's passing at the same after-work gathering place where I learned of Michael Jackson's death. Eerie coincidence.

It's a sad day for the Eagles and the entirety of the NFL. Favre staying retired can take a back seat (one would hope) to paying tribute to one of the game's greatest defensive schemers.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

i may not have much love for the eagles, but i will say this, he was a damn good DC. He made dealing with the Eagles a pain in the ass. but also you have to appreciate the work he did.

doesn't make it easier considering what the eagles did to the 'boys from time to time. :evil: but at the same time, he was good at what he did and made the eagles quite respectable.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i may not have much love for the eagles, but i will say this, he was a damn good DC. He made dealing with the Eagles a pain in the ass. but also you have to appreciate the work he did.

doesn't make it easier considering what the eagles did to the 'boys from time to time. :evil: but at the same time, he was good at what he did and made the eagles quite respectable.

Cough cough, week 17, cough cough.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

It is indeed a great loss for all of football, not just the Eagles. The one thing that I'll remember is that he, at one time, coached the best secondary in all of football at the time -- Dawkins, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, and Michael Lewis.

philly.png

Cough cough, week 17, cough cough.

in fairness, the boys tend to stop playing during the winter. so it comes to no surprise.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived